Page 6 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Hey hey look at that. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post
    Attachment 347697
    This is really cool DJ thanks for sharing all of that stuff...Ive always wanted to see video footage of the downhill hosted at JH(anyone?)...often imagined what it must have been like to tuck onto the fall away right hander into the downhill chute...
    I'll see if I can get ahold of some footage. My cousin, Andy Chambers, was on the US Ski Team during that time-frame, (late 70s - early 80s). I know he raced it in WC races. A couple of years ago as we were coming out of the Expert Chutes we were talking about the DH chute and he told me about one of the European racers that missed the entrance and got some major air. Pretty gnarly crash, but I think he said the guy walked away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Roll the wayback machine to clipping tickets in the parking lot with Jimmy Chin maybe 2003.

Or sliding my buddies at the Crystal Springs lift bottles of whiskey so we can slide on the lift easy peasy.

Working in the Moose kitchen winter of 82-83 with Big Wally in the shot bar. An end cut of prime rib primed the pump for many kamikazis later that evening.

The tiny "chain-up lot" on top of the Pass; Pete Quinlan and the other denizens of the Dome driving up sideways in the huge Dodge whose front logo then spelled GOD. Skis fit in the trunk sideways, even with all of us on 205-210-215 Rossignol Randonees.

Tele powder 8s up above Togwotee Lodge.

Haha life has been good as a ski bum in the Tetons.
    Haha, good memories...

I made the cover of the News or Guide in my Peruvian hat in the tele powder 8's at Togwotee one year. Pepi called those hats "Wilson drug buckets." He was always disgusted by us tele skiers, yelling "you are reinventing alpine skiing" when he'd see us at the Village. Always made us laugh.

My first day in Jackson was early December 82 or 83. A friend and I parked at the top of the pass (we were the only car there) and followed the only tracks we could find to figure out where to ski. Ended up on the Triple Divide on Black Canyon (?) in knee deep blower pow. Skied down to the road and grabbed a couple $0.50 cent drafts and some pool (forget the name of the place now). Hitched up and skied it again. Never saw any other skiers. Got hammered on marg's at Vista Grande that night then got invited to someone's condo and soaked in a hot tub watching the moon over the Tetons. I decided I was in paradise and moved there that day.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Haha, good memories...

I made the cover of the News or Guide in my Peruvian hat in the tele powder 8's at Togwotee one year. Pepi called those hats "Wilson drug buckets." He was always disgusted by us tele skiers, yelling "you are reinventing alpine skiing" when he'd see us at the Village. Always made us laugh.

My first day in Jackson was early December 82 or 83. A friend and I parked at the top of the pass (we were the only car there) and followed the only tracks we could find to figure out where to ski. Ended up on the Triple Divide on Black Canyon (?) in knee deep blower pow. Skied down to the road and grabbed a couple $0.50 cent drafts and some pool (forget the name of the place now). Hitched up and skied it again. Never saw any other skiers. Got hammered on marg's at Vista Grande that night then got invited to someone's condo and soaked in a hot tub watching the moon over the Tetons. I decided I was in paradise and moved there that day.
    The Stagecoach, still there, probably hasn’t change a bit since then either.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Haha, good memories...

did you keep that front page photo?
    you can get to digitized news&guide archives through the library and download pdfs of that old shit. some real gems to be found. search for your name, or just scroll through front pages. I was surprised how many random places my name and occasional photos showed up - question of the week, old mtb races, etc

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    you can get to digitized news&guide archives through the library and download pdfs of that old shit. some real gems to be found. search for your name, or just scroll through front pages. I was surprised how many random places my name and occasional photos showed up - question of the week, old mtb races, etc
    Huh. I was on the cover of the guide once skiing the pass in Oct or early November. It was Sierra cement and I was on a pair of 210's just trying to float.

Those stories are awesome. My first trip to Jackson as an adult was in 1995. We got of the tram looking for the Hobacks. Looking at the train map, I said to my roomate, "looks like you go down Ron-du-vu Bowl to get there." His redneck Eastern Washington ass says, "I don't looks like you take Ren-dez-vos"

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    The Stagecoach, still there, probably hasn’t change a bit since then either.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It wasn't the Coach- I remember it well. There was a place up the pass maybe a half mile that had pool tables and cheap beers. It is maybe rental cabins or something now?

It wasn't the Coach- I remember it well. There was a place up the pass maybe a half mile that had pool tables and cheap beers. It is maybe rental cabins or something now?
    The Heidleburg! Teton Pass skiing was never the same after it closed.

I’m blown away that place isn’t hopping, but on the flip side, I have many friends that were able to live the ski bum dream there and is one of the last holdouts of ski bum housing in its current form that hasn’t just turned into an Airbnb.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    The Heidleburg! Teton Pass skiing was never the same after it closed.
    Yes! That was the place!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Nice!

What were those lifts called. We had one back east when I was a kid. Seemed like 2nd or 3rd gen rope tow.
    I called them handle tows.

The rope tows I knew as a kid (logged literally thousands of hours on those things) were actual 3/4" to 1'" diameter nylon or hemp rope.

The lifts in Cody in the summer were these that had a relatively thin metal cable with fixed handles:

There was no Thunder chair there then, but we'd clomp up the stairs and they'd load the tram from tower 3.

When my wife and I used to ski there before the sublette quad, we'd always take the Thunder chair, skate out the GV traverse and hit Bird In The Hand, Pepis, Alta chutes, etc.

I thought the Sublette ruined that part, but it did make the Hobacks more accessible which cut both ways. We just hated seeing the Pepis area all tracked out.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    Can you do this online?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Haha, good memories...

Here's a copy of that pic. Such a fun day, although the skiing was quite challenging, if I remember correctly. Facets under a harder slab; in those long skinnies it was hard to keep the tips from burrowing into the sage underneath.

And I would bet that you got beer and pool at the Heidelberg, actually. It was only open for us ski bums for one or two winters, and they let us run tabs, which was deadly. I tore my MCL playing ping pong on the wet concrete floor.

Date on the page says Jan 30, 1985

Rotate it, somebody please!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tele 8s Jan 30 1985.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	949.7 KB 
ID:	347844

​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Here's a copy of that pic. Such a fun day, although the skiing was quite challenging, if I remember correctly. Facets under a harder slab; in those long skinnies it was hard to keep the tips from burrowing into the sage underneath.

And I would bet that you got beer and pool at the Heidelberg, actually. It was only open for us ski bums for one or two winters, and they let us run tabs, which was deadly. I tore my MCL playing ping pong on the wet concrete floor.

Date on the page says Jan 30, 1985

Rotate it, somebody please!

Name:	tele 8s Jan 30 1985.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	949.7 KB 
ID:	347844
    Awesome! Yeah, the skiing was challenging and I face planted not long after that photo was taken.

Here's a funny one for current pass skiers. Although I owned a pair of skins we mostly kick waxed our skis and never used the skins. We would put in super low angle ascent tracks and climb with wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I called them handle tows.

The rope tows I knew as a kid (logged literally thousands of hours on those things) were actual 3/4" to 1'" diameter nylon or hemp rope.

The lifts in Cody in the summer were these that had a relatively thin metal cable with fixed handles:

There was no Thunder chair there then, but we'd clomp up the stairs and they'd load the tram from tower 3.

When my wife and I used to ski there before the sublette quad, we'd always take the Thunder chair, skate out the GV traverse and hit Bird In The Hand, Pepis, Alta chutes, etc.

I thought the Sublette ruined that part, but it did make the Hobacks more accessible which cut both ways. We just hated seeing the Pepis area all tracked out.
    Yup, that was the tow. We still have a legit rope tow at the town hill in Maine.

Funny to hear your perspective of Sublette. That is so classic. I'm sure it did ruin those shots comparatively. When I moved there we dubbed the Sublette "the couch" and there was never a line. Ski on everytime. It was the greatest lift in the world! We lived over there just ripping laps.

The Couch, FKNA; that had slipped from recent usage fosho.
    That was like a shot of adrenaline , right there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

This is powerful, hilarious stuff you mags, bring the goodness some mo!

Oh, the comedy of skiing:

Pepi Stiegler in full aushtrian axcent saying 'Wilson drug buckets',

Marty-Comey " They were definitely a polished unit " - Phil

" even Pebble Creek "

Foggy - 'We got off the tram, looking for the Hobacks", that just creates a primal laugh in me. If I'da heard ya I'da laughed so loud. Then we would have skied for 3 days and partied.

Heidelberg, pretty sure Frosty still lives the dream based outta the compound.

Ropetows will teach one the value of a good pair of gloves. And rotater cuffs.

The C pass traverse went from top of Thunder up hill a bit and the south above Alta Zero/negatives to top of pepi's ridge and further. People still do this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I rather expected them to bail on the Golden tix this season too.
    Naaaah. It's too good of a hook.
    I wonder if skiers who buy a season pass at their local area tend to be overall better skiers than those who only buy an epic/ikon?

EagleS - Your cousin was the fastest guy in Jackson for a while there iirc. I bet he's got some rad stories.

Telehacker - Looks like golden tix are $52 thru 12/4 then $73 thru 12/18. If it nukes, that'll be a good deal.

Jack, you norwegian?

Name:	nag1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	347877

Name:	nag2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	347878

From the back page, Dirt Pimping ca. 2000

The Heidelberg

Name:	hberg.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	738.4 KB 
ID:	347880
    Here's a deal...

Name:	isr.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	347881
    Neighbors with Connie Stevens and Lyle Waggoner

"I will turn and burn for you my lost friend." - I'm 1000% in. Such a loss.

Great piece DJ. Hair standing up on the back of my neck. Can't wait bud.

The winter I was there I got a hat for helping haul a toboggan out to the event site. It came back empty. 1982 I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SailCat; 11-14-2020 at 03:52 PM. Reason: checked date

Last day for uphill access at Targhee. Closes tomorrow for setup

Quote Originally Posted by haysman16 View Post
    Last day for uphill access at Targhee. Closes tomorrow for setup
    Heading up around noon.

Just found out that I'm (hopefully) going to be moving to Idaho Falls next summer, so I guess I should keep an eye on this thread. Stoked to get out west.

What a week! I drove down to Cheyenne, then to Riverton for work, experienced 70mph cross winds on I-80 and saw about 10 semis flipped, hit the pass today and skied knee deep blower, got my truck stuck and got pulled out by a kind soul, and now chilling in Victor for the night. Fuck yeah!