Page 62 of 105 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2624
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I think I stayed in the 7 levels for the camp in 69; it was between the tram building and the Moose.
    On our last passes through, they had changed the Vuarnet Cafe to Shades but there was still another dumpier hotel down past the Alpenhof on skiers left.
    Sojourner?...
    To lookers right of alpenohf and an expansion behind?s the way I remember it

Wasn't there a bar called Beavers attached to the south end of 7levels?

Steep roof line - timber interior
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    https://buckrail.com/snapped-two-tra...o-bell-couloir

“There is no evidence of how the two skiers made it onto the patch of snow, they could have hiked.”

What the fuck happened to journalism
    Or common sense.

I used to hike and ski that several times a year when I lived in Ghettobrook
    Amazing reverse view of town. And a fun run.

Wtf. Maybe they took a heli ride? Or rode a unicorn?
    JFC, that's the shittiest writing yet from that rag.

I wonder if the author knows Taco Bell used to sit at the base of that.
    Ain't nothing critical habitat about that slope on the butte, laughable. A handful of deer tool around on it. Can't say I've ever seen an elk on this side maybe over on the other quieter side.
    The only real concern could be cutting an avy loose and that is impossible right now.

I lived in the Ghettos my first year here. Today's owner of the Knotty Pine over in Victor was my next door neighbor for his last summer before finishing college and moving back to buy the bar. We used to dose and go walk around cody peak. Like AROUND it.
    Remember the Corvette mounted on a 4wd chassis that sat out front for a coupla seasons? That dude murdered his wife with a rifle the next year in her condo by the hospital.

Overreaction seems to be the mantra for this county anymore.

Wydot wants to make hwy 22 55 mph year around. Again.

For those of you who don't know, it was 55 for decades until a local family had a son get killed in a winter accident out in front of skyline. Their local influence got it reduced to 45 in winter. When someone says it's to save the elk from getting hit, you know it's BS. Hardly any elk get hit between town and the bridge, and yet lotsa elk/deer tags go unfilled each year.
    It's ok to hunt them, but everyone on 22 has to adjust for a few collisions. Fuck that.

end/rant

Glad we're all trying to get vaxed one way or another. FWIW, I got mine as I fit one of the chronic conditions. I didn't even know until I dug deeper. I was willing to wait but why would I?
    I did the info online, got an appointment and there was no ID'ing or anything. They just checked me in, asked the usual questions and I was in like Flynn. TC, Wy...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    JFC, that's the shittiest writing yet from that rag.

I wonder if the author knows Taco Bell used to sit at the base of that.
    Buckrail used to be entirely written by one dude, and if you knew who it is you wouldn't think "journalism"

Is it now the Miazga's Couloir???

Ain't nothing critical habitat about that slope on the butte, laughable. A handful of deer tool around on it. Can't say I've ever seen an elk on this side maybe over on the other quieter side.
    I know a dude who lives up there and there's definitely wildlife around (actually moose, fox, deer), but not in any large #. Agree about the deer hanging more around the corner.

For those of you who don't know, it was 55 for decades until a local family had a son get killed in a winter accident out in front of skyline. Their local influence got it reduced to 45 in winter. When someone says it's to save the elk from getting hit, you know it's BS. Hardly any elk get hit between town and the bridge, and yet lotsa elk/deer tags go unfilled each year.
    It's ok to hunt them, but everyone on 22 has to adjust for a few collisions. Fuck that.
    I've had a few close calls right near the underpass, and last summer — during the day — I had a BEAR run across the street and pass within 5' of my bike. Traffic was stopped dead; I was riding west on the bike path near Indian Trails. I assumed traffic was stopped because, well, summer traffic.

They were stopped due to the bear near W GV Butte. It was shielded from my view by the cars. I WISH I had a GoPro attached to my bike.... it came so close when it tore across the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Dang, super informative and helpful! Thanks mang!

Love the scale in this shot
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CMartin348 View Post
    Did they ask for confirmation of Sweetwater County residence? Did you go through the distributor or the county? I have a Teton County, WY DL.
    It's by state. You're good if you have Wyo ID.

Quote Originally Posted by stevied View Post
    This photo is not up to UAN's standard but it is Cascade Canyon from across Jenny Lake. It was taken yesterday from the XC track.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Agree. While many lament the growth, it’s still a great little community. Also noted your housing mention earlier in the thread and know we are keeping you in mind for any word of mouth rental opportunities too.
    Thanks! You are kind. I'm also a fan of your husband.

Found a bit of untracked pow today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F5A6261.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	368251

Also, saw this guy...

Name:	7F5A6354.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	368253

...who dropped this near me:

Name:	7F5A6379.jpg 
Views:	99 
ID:	368256

Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Dinner!
    Also, saw this guy...

Name:	7F5A6354.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	368253

...who dropped this near me:

Name:	7F5A6379.jpg 
Views:	99 
ID:	368256
    Mana from heaven?
    . . .

^Driving home from work the other night I witnessed a hawk drop a live mouse on the highway from about 50’. Narrowly missed an oncoming windshield. One of the strangest wildlife moments I’ve witnessed

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mana from heaven?
    I was thinking more like a severed horse's head on my pillow.

Also, light snow and overcast now, you left right on time, skiing's gonna be fakakta today.
    QFT - Strange day at Targhee. Drove through some of the heaviest snowfall I’ve seen all season on 26 this morning, massive flakes. Viz was like 2 skip lines, and when the skip lines got covered basically 0 viz. It was actually easier to drive with the headlights completely off (did turn them on when around other traffic).

Upon arrival it switched over to smaller flakes and eventually graupel, was like skiing through dipndots at the end of the day. Hard to say what the daytime accumulation actually was. Skied 9-4 for just shy of 35k. Fog skiing always beats the shit out of me, going to feel it tomorrow.

Targhee vibe did not disappoint, never waited more than 5 minutes in a line all day. That would include the dream catcher line walking up just after 9am. Had a couple untracked laps on blackfoot. Just can’t get over how empty it was...

Anyone around tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    QFT - Strange day at Targhee. Drove through some of the heaviest snowfall I’ve seen all season on 26 this morning, massive flakes. Viz was like 2 skip lines, and when the skip lines got covered basically 0 viz. It was actually easier to drive with the headlights completely off (did turn them on when around other traffic).

Upon arrival it switched over to smaller flakes and eventually graupel, was like skiing through dipndots at the end of the day. Hard to say what the daytime accumulation actually was. Skied 9-4 for just shy of 35k. Fog skiing always beats the shit out of me, going to feel it tomorrow.

Targhee vibe did not disappoint, never waited more than 5 minutes in a line all day. That would include the dream catcher line walking up just after 9am. Had a couple untracked laps on blackfoot. Just can’t get over how empty it was...

Anyone around tomorrow?
    Hawks & snakes - I see them carry snakes off around here a few times in the summer. It’s always exciting when one drops a 4 ft bull snake in front on you.

It should be even quieter tomorrow since it’s Sunday. Wish I could get over there, I have two days I need to use up. I’m hoping to get over there sometime before they close since they are not staying open longer this season.
    Last edited by 2bjenny; 03-21-2021 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Spelling

I was hoping EoB was gonna get a sleeper Sunday.

The 'Ghee called it 10-12" and at least 7 since closing of 9-12% powpow. Dreamcatcher looks like about a 5 minute wait. My money says 75% of todays skiers are not getting too far offa the groomers.

That's good living.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've probably seen a dozen fish fall from an eagle or osprey's clutches, within 50' of me.
    Working near the river a lot allows for great birdwatching.

That bear up on the GV buttes was sketching out a bunch of my clients, calling each other and getting the dogs in before he strolls over into your berry patch next.

Heading over to ski Targhee Monday and Tuesday. I've noticed sometimes you can skin up Peaked from top of Sac. Is that just when the cat isn't running that day? Can you tell if it's allowed ahead of time? Thanks.

At the hill today, it occurred to me that the Unskiable chute and environs are as good as I've ever seen them. The red zone and green are off limits pretty much always. What a poach it'd be now.

Name:	unskiable chute.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	368341

Now that they've canned Marmot for their supplier, should they change the Marmot chair to the Mammut chair?

By the look of that photo upper mountain looks to be in great shape. Go get it dude, it’s why you got the patch 😉

Easily one of the better sleeper days at the ghee this winter. Mind blown how every lap there was untouched well
    after 12. Final lap today off Mary’s around 1pm.... and yes, it seemed like most folks were staying on the groomers for the Powduroy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, yay, got my shot...
    and BOO, got a $150 ticket.
    total sucker zone outside of Pinedale where you can *almost* see the 70mph sign, but you are still in a 55.
    whoops.
    Chick cop was cool though, we laughed and stuff. She gave me a $25 ‘discount’ for wearing my seatbelt.
    Could have been worse I guess.
    She could have found my two Colorado Candies...

Oh, FWIW, they were accepting anybody from any state for shots, no restrictions.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

What a shot - this thread is just above and beyond on so many levels. Thanks for sharing it all!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

At the hill today, it occurred to me that the Unskiable chute and environs are as good as I've ever seen them. The red zone and green are off limits pretty much always. What a poach it'd be now.

Now that they've canned Marmot for their supplier, should they change the Marmot chair to the Mammut chair?
    Unskiable. Looking good.
    Poachbrush is what we called the first line skiers right. Good turns. And you could claim ignorance.

Hard hard right, unskiable, better turn on the afterburner and exit quickly.

Otoh. They opened Alta zero two years ago. Never seen that legal before.
    Patrol should open that shit. It ain’t unskiable with that much base.
    . . .

^Was gunna say, looks fat in there...

Targhee was titties today. Snow stayed in good shape all day thanks to come and go clouds. It was deeper than I thought it would be - checked around 6:30 and they were reporting 6” from close of lifts. It did snow for a few hours in the morning but seemed like 8-10” to me. Pow turns all day. I’d put it in the top 10 for the season for sure.

Hiked the nipple for the first time, not sold on the payoff but would probably think differently for firsties. Nice views at least

Name:	Image1616375218.488977.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	368389

Name:	Image1616375243.710208.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	368390

Name:	Image1616375259.982275.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	368391

The wiggle is also on point

Name:	Image1616375291.930003.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	368392

Name:	Image1616375304.253152.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	368393

DJ, my ex father in law got 3 tickets between Rock Springs and Jackson in one drive.

[QUOTE=Djongo Unchained;6270634]At the hill today, it occurred to me that the Unskiable chute and environs are as good as I've ever seen them. The red zone and green are off limits pretty much always. What a poach it'd be now.

lost a ski and tumbled out the bottom of the chute once, not this time this is late april 2011 way phat!
    Name:  2011 unskbwl.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  138.2 KB

Unskiable. Looking good.
    Poachbrush is what we called the first line skiers right. Good turns. And you could claim ignorance.

Hard hard right, unskiable, better turn on the afterburner and exit quickly.

Otoh. They opened Alta zero two years ago. Never seen that legal before.
    Patrol should open that shit. It ain’t unskiable with that much base.
    If remember right patrol opened Alta Zero in the spring of 02. I was told that it happens every now and then after big seasons. I skied the waterfall line once when there was only a 45-50 inch base and before Sublette was even opened for the year. I lightly tagged a rock or two above the drop and the air was pretty fat but it still worked ok. That was my favorite line during my four years there. My first day skiing in there was the day I met Newt on the chair. I had seen pictures of him hanging up in various businesses in Steamboat. He was known around there for airing out Chute 1 1/2 as well as other huge hits. There was always a big signature with just NEWT on those pictures. He was larger than life to me so you can imagine I was pretty stoked to meet him that day. We skied a bunch of laps and I mentioned that I was eying up the Waterfall Line in Alta Zero. He had already hucked off Negative earlier that day and he gave me a pep talk, told me to believe in myself and go for it. On the next lap we both threw the ropes over our backs. This may sound sort of dumb but he was like a father figure to me. Over the next few years while I lived there he was always a great supporter.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Between, Hosts with radios, schoolers with radios and trollers with radios I would say that would be a BOLD poach. Perks me up a bit to think about it ...but I really don't poach in bounds.

Tough one to just flash also, your in there for a bit...exposed !

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    By the look of that photo upper mountain looks to be in great shape. Go get it dude, it’s why you got the patch 
    No, it's really not. Ask me when you see me.

The UC is off limits due to potential for a high risk rescue or sliding snow onto those beneath you.
    As HMS said earlier, you couldn't buy a slide right now so that's a non issue. If one poaches it and fucks up and requires a sled rescue, Patrol is gonna be bent and mtn. mgrs will ban you lifetime.
    I have a tenuous relationship at best with a coupla higher ups on the totem pole.

It's a risk verrrrry few are willing to take. Passholers pic of april 2011 is after closing with obviously better coverage.
    We poached OB way more than permanently closed inbounds stuff.
    UC is a 4:30pm poach or a cloudy day. Like Doug's 4o'clock club off the back of AV.

If one of the SP boys invited me along, I'd go tomorrow...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alta 0 has been opened maybe 6-8 times in my memory.

Sometimes the skiers left top of A1 is the better in, often it gets scratched out and the rocks are hard turning on.
    Then the ramp from above lookers left of sub chair ride is best. Call it -1
    Might have seen one of the Jones boys ski the lookers right line. I call that -2.

You probably won't die falling in there but any topple is likely gonna hurt or be outta control for a moment or two.

Saw a guy once ski the direct line beneath the chair and stuff the landing into the hidden soft moat where the rock meets the snow. Stopped cold as his legs had gone backwards and hyperextended his leg and blew out his acl. Went from crushing the line to standing still screaming .
    Seen a lot of fucked up things on Sublette come to think of it. Gonna need some pics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Passholer - lost a ski and tumbled out after closing, in Unskiable. We're gonna party and laugh about that one.

EoB - So funny that your not sold on the Nipply payoff. That's fairly common. It's a true delight no doubt, but for Big Mtn. folk it can be a little overhyped.

Psyched that you and Gravity got the goods, bet you crossed some trax, maybe 8'ed each other. I knew you had pow by 9 and was green with envy. Da 'Ghee delivers; just filling in the corners now.

Rideit - good on yer vax status, thanks for the info on availabilities too. Next year we're gonna party like it's 2022.

Fucking tickets - Driving from Denver to The village, may 1990, for a job interview. I got a ticket about 30 miles south of Pinedale.
    For the next 20ish years that same Trooper was stationed and patrolling from west of PDale all the way to Rock springs. Everybody knows about that area eventually.
    Also, driving that 500 miles sucked bad at 55 mph the whole way.
    Took 20 years to get another ticket. To stick. It was on my Motorcy, cle.

3 tickies in one trip would almost require some coordination on the part of the cops, jeeez. He really pissed off the first one who told everyone to look for him. Boom. Boom.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The only thing I poached today was parking. I could hit the lift with a snowball. So there's that.

Yeah, that was my first Rock Springs pullover since ‘88, not a bad run!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

@EoB, If you like big airs with awesome takeoffs and safe, deep landings (not super steep landings but deep ones) the lines right off the shoulder of the Nipple are hard to beat. The cornice to hanging snowfield to giant meat huck will definitely get the blood flowing. If stupid big drops aren't your thing then it's hard to beat a fresh, blue bird lap down Nitwits, it's a BIG no no but it's super gorgeous.
    dirtbag, not a dentist