Page 86 of 105 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2624
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    My parents are in the process of purchasing a house.
    What part of Texas are they from?

My parents are in the process of purchasing a house.

Anyone happen to know a local roofer who can evaluate the condition of a cedar shake roof?
    Let me guess they bought you a place in return for managing their VRBO?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Looking at cedar shake ain’t brain surgery.

How thin. How much cupping. How much moss etc.

BTW. Wet & Forget is the best thing ever for shingle roof or sidewall.
    Moss and mold is your enemy. Never pressure wash.
    Thanks. I think they just want a professional opinion so that they can make informed decision on the inspection contingencies. They put a lot of work into a cedar shake roof on a previous house that they owned, so it's top of mind for them.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    What part of Texas are they from?
    Is the "Texans are buying all our land" trope a thing here (thought that was only in CO)? Or maybe that's a reference to Parvo's GF?

Most recently they've been living in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by haysman16 View Post
    Let me guess they bought you a place in return for managing their VRBO?
    This is a full time retirement home for them. No way I'd want to manage a STR, and I buy my own houses.

Cedar roof in the inter mountain Wildland urban interface? Just budget for asphalt or metal.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Cedar roof in the inter mountain Wildland urban interface? Just budget for asphalt or metal.
    Surprised there are any HOA's that even allow that here.

This is a full time retirement home for them. No way I'd want to manage a STR, and I buy my own houses.
    Sick glad they will be contributing so much to the valley

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

Quote Originally Posted by haysman16 View Post
    Sick glad they will be contributing so much to the valley
    Damn man, seems a bit harsh. And I know housing is tough for locals, but I plan on retiring there in a few years and I hate to think that this is the attitude that I’ll face.

And as a retiree I’ll probably build and maintain trails, volunteer for SAR and involve myself in civic functions where appropriate (without being the guy that comes in and tells people how we did it somewhere else).

I actually talked to some long time locals about not wanting to be ‘that guy’ and they made me feel welcome to join them, but maybe times have changed and there is too much stress from outsiders?
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 07-27-2021 at 09:59 PM.

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

I just replaced my wood shake roof with DaVinci composite.
    It’s nice, sheds better and I don’t need heat tapes.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^while i like the way shakes n wood shingles look and actually enjoyed applying them
    i cant imagine good logical reasons for wanting a combustible, high dollar, high maintenance lid on the dome, other than aesthetics in any western location
    to many better materials aint that way
    tear that shit off do solar and or skylights and start again with one
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

EOB vibes. I hope he recovers. Sounds unfortunate and absolutely brutal.

Anybody else see this? Antijinx but hope it comes in wet and steady with no dry lightning. Feed the trees and streams please. We have an appointment to be in the middle of nowhere Wyndoming the weekend after this one and reduced fire hazard would be...a huge bonus. Last year the first thing I did every morning was scan the horizon for fire plumes and always a close eye on the fire planes to make sure they kept rolling down the range. Would really rather wake up and throw on a raincoat.

https://buckrail.com/significant-thr...ons-this-week/

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

FTR, I was kidding with my comment to Kevo.
    Building trail and volunteering for SAR gives instant local status, all you need to do next is volunteer to pour/hand out beers at Music On Main, you will meet everybody!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    EOB vibes. I hope he recovers. Sounds unfortunate and absolutely brutal.

Anybody else see this? Antijinx but hope it comes in wet and steady with no dry lightning. Feed the trees and streams please. We have an appointment to be in the middle of nowhere Wyndoming the weekend after this one and reduced fire hazard would be...a huge bonus. Last year the first thing I did every morning was scan the horizon for fire plumes and always a close eye on the fire planes to make sure they kept rolling down the range. Would really rather wake up and throw on a raincoat.

https://buckrail.com/significant-thr...ons-this-week/

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Was it summer 2013 where it was crazy monsoonal wet all August, like by 10am it would just be constant thunder and downpoors for like 3-4 weeks straight. That was wild.

For the record Kevo seems like a good dude, I hope to share a beer with him sooner than later and some turns this winter. Some of the shit he's posted along his journey of moving here has made him lowing hanging fruit for good natured ribbing, and he seems to take it in stride well.

It was like that in ‘14 for sure, we were renovating our house. We thought we would be living/cooking/eating/recreating outdoors that summer. But it rained like every day. Amazing brown pow, but I didn’t ride much that year.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

@Rideit- I def picked up on the sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Surprised there are any HOA's that even allow that here.
    No only allowed, but actually required. Per CC&Rs, special permission is required for anything other than cedar shake. Seems dumb to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Damn man, seems a bit harsh. And I know housing is tough for locals, but I plan on retiring there in a few years and I hate to think that this is the attitude that I’ll face.

And as a retiree I’ll probably build and maintain trails, volunteer for SAR and involve myself in civic functions where appropriate (without being the guy that comes in and tells people how we did it somewhere else).

I actually talked to HMS and Panchosdad about not wanting to be ‘that guy’ and they made me feel welcome to join them, but maybe times have changed and there is too much stress from outsiders?
    Don't worry about it- you'll have plenty of good people to adventure with when you get out here. I have several friends here that are retirees in their 40s and 50s. They all seem to have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ^^^^while i like the way shakes n wood shingles look and actually enjoyed applying them
    i cant imagine good logical reasons for wanting a combustible, high dollar, high maintenance lid on the dome, other than aesthetics in any western location
    to many better materials aint that way
    tear that shit off do solar and or skylights and start again with one
    Probably a good call.

I mean it's not like he moved from Colorado, became a dirt pimp, and start selling places to other dbags....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Damn man, seems a bit harsh.
    It was harsh I’ll admit that. I was just having a conversation at dinner with some firefighter & teacher friends who are leaving the valley after the summer, so the irony of a recent newcomer talking to a firefighter who probably can’t afford housing (not trying to throw you under the bus Snapt) about cedar shingles on n Maw and Paws house hit me a bit.

I've given Kevo some good natured shit as well but he seems to genuinely care about the community as a whole so he's alright in my book.

At least on the Jackson side, I seem to recall they made it so you can't even pull the permit for cedar shakes anymore. I would think Teton Valley wouldn't be far behind as it is no different in terms of its own fire danger. Worth looking into as that will override whatever bs the HOA is saying every time.

It would also be beneficial for them given fire danger anyways so if I was looking at a house with them I'd be budgeting for replacement as is.
    Live Free or Die

Some stoke...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Some stoke...

Give this pint sized mountain the respect it deserves!

That was awesome! Thx!
    . . .

Thanks DJ! I haven’t seen that video in years.

So, I’ll be over that way Saturday for a diving refresh class. Anyone have an idea how much extra time I should plan on it taking to drive from Wilson to Gill St around 10 am with all the tourists or should Saturday morning be fine?

Just booked my trip. Will be in town around New Years for a few days. Wish I could come a little later, and for longer, but school.

Do I have to make a reservation or something like that, since I'm on Ikon?

^Not yet, but I heard they’re imposing a 200cm minimum ski length and nothing less than a 5+ Praxis flex. So in other words, you’ll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Heh.

Ikon needed reservations last year.
    No word on this year.
    Hoping it’s cancelled. Fuck ikon
    . . .

Jen - Hard saying exactly on timing but even if it's stop and go, 30 minutes would be the worst I can imagine for an otherwise 5 minute stretch.
    Talisman and I drove from the 'coach to town in stop and go a few weeks ago and it was more like 15-20 min.

One of my favorite JH vids, that's got so many great shots. I love when the wind blows the snow outta the trees.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Keep that Ikon pass in your pocket. It's likely to be a helluva season for in line heckling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80B0E5F9-F2E4-40C0-BFA1-5F69BE6F038B.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	380702
    . . .