Page 101 of 105 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2624
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Django I'm calling bs on that one, haha. Going over the dry farms in a whiteout is hairball. No trees in sight. Sandbagging the gullible young move-in....

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk
    I must defer to HMS' assessment. I'm fairly certain her experience driving ID 33 in a storm is way more than mine.

I almost added that it's all relative. It's likely that we've all driven in a blizzard, out in the boonies, more than most folks. Epic tales of 5 hours with a 3 foot visibilty buffer. Talk about intense focus...

If he goes skiing on a motor sickle, he will indeed be the Lost Cosmonaut.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 09-21-2021 at 07:54 AM. Reason: the west slope chimes in with the facts!

Snow tires - FTW!

Git sum.

33 and 32 are different than other boonies routes... they're on the upslope and get decent snowfall plus heavy winds up the Snake... and the road cuts through the rolling spud fields lead to insane snow drifting. I remember busting drifts on 32 several times, barely making it through to Driggs before the route closed for days. Always the crux coming from MT. Teton pass was always easy street in comparison, even when snowy.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    33 and 32 are different than other boonies routes... they're on the upslope and get decent snowfall plus heavy winds up the Snake. The road cuts through the rolling spud fields lead to insane snow drifting. I remember busting drifts on 32 several times, barely making it through to Driggs before the route closed for days. Always the crux coming from MT. Teton pass was always easy street in comparison, even when snowy.
    Can confirm... we drove Bozeman > Jackson a couple seasons back and ended up going through Swan Valley and Alpine 'cause *everything* east of 15 and north of 26 was closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    33 and 32 are different than other boonies routes... they're on the upslope and get decent snowfall plus heavy winds up the Snake. The road cuts through the rolling spud fields lead to insane snow drifting. I remember busting drifts on 32 several times, barely making it through to Driggs before the route closed for days. Always the crux coming from MT. Teton pass was always easy street in comparison, even when snowy.
    32 is the most closed road in Idaho in the winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    IIRC didn’t they shut down 33 multiple times last winter? From the 2nd hand stories I’ve heard that road can become almost impassable when there’s blowing snow, worse than 26. I’d be really hesitant relying on it being open if it’s nuking and you’re trying to get to the mountain.

Are you locked into Rexburg yet? I can’t imagine there aren’t a fair amount of options in IF with the amount of farm plots being bought up by developers.

BTW - LC, if you are looking for more info on housing here feel free to PM. I’m living in IF now and may be able to answer some questions. Work moving you from NY to Idaho..? You working at the site?
    Yeah, already signed lease and everything. I'm not too worried, it's a 12 month lease and it's about the same price as my place in NY currently but about 200 square feet bigger so I can't complain. Not like I can buy a house in this market, hoping the housing market shits itself hard in the next year or two.

And yep, working at the site. Commuting 70 miles is gonna be great but at least there's a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

If he goes skiing on a motor sickle, he will indeed be the Lost Cosmonaut.
    Whatever happens I can't do much worse than my friend who rolled his forester off Monarch Pass a couple Decembers ago. (somehow he didn't smash himself up too bad)

do you know much about rexburg and it's culture?

sounds like you are working at the labs so not for lds inc.

I love driving ID 32.

It's amazing on the motorcycle, fun in the sportwagen.

I suppose those 2 do close pretty easily. I've driven 32 a few times in a blizzard and it can be a white knuckler. 33 seemed pretty straightforward tho. Guess the severity of the condish is the key. 26 can be sketchballs just because of the howling wind and the slick surface.
    If EoB can be at the village at 530 am on a snowy morning, from south IF, on balding summer tires, LoCo can do it.

Studded snows - FTMFW!

Studded tires for sure. ID 33 closures has kept me away many a storm cycle. I can make it from my house to the ghee in 1:45 or the village in 2:15 with studded tires if the roads are open and if my 1.5 mile of “driveway” to I15 isn’t drifted in.

Looking at taking an avy 1 course this winter and from the research I've done it seems like a lot of different outfits offer classes.

Does anyone have recommendations for any particular outfit, can share good experiences, etc?

Looking at taking an avy 1 course this winter and from the research I've done it seems like a lot of different outfits offer classes.

Does anyone have recommendations for any particular outfit, can share good experiences, etc?
    You can't go wrong with https://www.americanavalancheinstitute.com and it could be worth looking into taking a companion rescue course after your avy 1. I've been fortunate to take a handful of classes from different providers and my experience with them has always been great.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    32 is the most closed road in Idaho in the winter months.
    I just caught this. Hmmm, no shit, that's interesting.

Plainly this Donnie was out of his element and indeed had inadvertently sandbagged the LoCo.

Take an Avy 1 with Magette Homemadesalsa!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    They seem to have evolved into a mindset of 'we're not gonna open the tram early if the demand is light and mostly locals'.
    Coming up with viable, if not entirely valid arguments to keep it closed, has become the norm.
    Fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    Also many whispers about problems with the concrete work up top and maybe no tram this winter.
    Complete nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMountainSkier View Post
    Fake news.

Complete nonsense.

Please tell us what you know to the contrary.

Just the facts...

Just need to chime in here on an unrelated topic…Djongo has been doing out-fucking-standing work building us a fence. Mad props, dude.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Mountain is holding back on locals kids program sign-ups with coaches getting little/no information to this point, due to understandable staffing issues. Meanwhile ski school is open for business on all private lesson bookings, no lack of staff there.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Just need to chime in here on an unrelated topic…Djongo has been doing out-fucking-standing work building us a fence. Mad props, dude.
    Thank you kindly, my friend. It's been a pleasure working for/with you and Mrs. Rideit.
    I wish all of the people I do work for were as easy going, flexible and adaptable as you two.

Heard Target might cancel their store due to lack of employees. Gonna be a tall task to staff REI.

Just noticed this stickerage on my buddy's car this morning. Anyone remember skiing with Polly 10 or 15 years ago. I think it's a sign.

Attachment 387740
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Take an Avy 1 with Magette Homemadesalsa!
    Thanks @snapt. ur classes run through Yostmark Backcountry Tours and our classroom is in Driggs. We have permits to ski on the west side of Teton Pass, so we never drop over the top into the J-Hole. If you have a good situation in Jaxon, then AAI is fine. All our instructors also work for AAI, and all our classroom stuff is in-person, as of course is our field work. I am pretty sure that all the AAI classroom material is online again this winter.

Heard Target might cancel their store due to lack of employees. Gonna be a tall task to staff REI.
    REI, (or the prop owner), put in some coin to make that location look, “REI”. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. I hear BD store is moving along well. Waiting for the hiccup there too.
    Oh well… at least we have tacos in both valley

We need a taqueria where the Lame Duck used to be. Street Foods East Side?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

Anyone else notice the road slumping at the lagging wall in the EB lane near the top of the pass? I’ve been monitoring it on my weekly drives over the past few months and there’s no doubt it’s gotten worse.

Wonder if there will be an attempt to fix it before winter hits.

After a quick google search couldn’t figure out what year the wall was put in, would love to slap a level on that thing to see if it’s still plumb.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone else notice the road slumping at the lagging wall in the EB lane near the top of the pass? I’ve been monitoring it on my weekly drives over the past few months and there’s no doubt it’s gotten worse.

Wonder if there will be an attempt to fix it before winter hits.

After a quick google search couldn’t figure out what year the wall was put in, would love to slap a level on that thing to see if it’s still plumb.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    the DOT/engineers know about it and have looked at it. I don’t believe they plans on doing any work on it at this time and they didn’t seem too concerned about it, but that was 2-3 months ago. I wouldn’t want to hit the guardrail right there though…