Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1726
  1. #1276
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    390
    Toda was the first day I've skied and not riden at least 1 tram.
    Was by at 12:45 and the line looked like 2 hrs.
    Went skiing.

  2. #1277
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Au
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Toda was the first day I've skied and not riden at least 1 tram.
    Was by at 12:45 and the line looked like 2 hrs.
    Went skiing.
    Skiing > Not Skiing

    Or so I hear.
    The older I get, the faster I was.






    Punch it, Chewie.

  3. #1278
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    So unbelievably deep today at the Ghee. I had turns that were chin deep. I think that was a first for me.

    Man what a day.
    Chin Carvin’

  4. #1279
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post

    most likely, skiing Sat-Sun .....

    Wouldn't say no to a lap or a beer with any of y'all, I'll do my best to keep up. Bringing touring gear, but with the snow y'all have been getting I'm perfectly content to staying on the avy-controlled side of the rope, inbounds JH is super fun and plenty challenging for this guy.
    Always willing to ski a lap or two if you want.
    Skiing almost every day.
    In or out.

  5. #1280
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    JAC
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Toda was the first day I've skied and not riden at least 1 tram.
    Was by at 12:45 and the line looked like 2 hrs.
    Went skiing.
    Absolutely stupid tram lines...I have not ridden it for about a month. This morning 8 am, 5 below, line was a 2 hour wait at least...so if your in the back of the line at 8AM your in for a three hour wait if they open on time....in 5 below temps. Fuck that.
    I walked by the line at 10-11 and 12 as I was trying new skis out and had to keep going to the truck...in all three trips I saw two people that I knew in line. The line was at least 2 wide on the snow every time I walked by.

    Color me irritated But I skied nothing but nice clean pow all day so life could be worse...I just wish I could get on big red so things wouldn't be quite so much work.

  6. #1281
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Speaking of work, is the bootpack up the bowl getting used? I’d like to see a photo of that. I take it the wiggle will not form this year.

  7. #1282
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Absolutely stupid tram lines...I have not ridden it for about a month. This morning 8 am, 5 below, line was a 2 hour wait at least...so if your in the back of the line at 8AM your in for a three hour wait if they open on time....in 5 below temps. Fuck that.
    I walked by the line at 10-11 and 12 as I was trying new skis out and had to keep going to the truck...in all three trips I saw two people that I knew in line. The line was at least 2 wide on the snow every time I walked by.

    Color me irritated But I skied nothing but nice clean pow all day so life could be worse...I just wish I could get on big red so things wouldn't be quite so much work.
    Holy crap, ain't this the truth. ^^^
    It's downright amazing how long peeps will wait for the box. A formerly 10 minute wait is now over an hour. Fuck that. I ski a ton and I'm still not patient or sated enough to stand around for that. Fucking turns man.
    Waiting for 2 or 3 boxes in the future should be cake tho...

    6am seems to be the standard start time for first box, 5am on a big day. That's some BS right there. And I'm an early tramster, but damnitall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tram moose.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	364921
    These 2 moose were ready to get in line at 5 even without any fresh. First moose trax.

    I've been doing the 'firsties on AV for a lap or shooting up the hill' program for weeks now. Teewinot is having some aggro starts but only because the workers are too useless to get proactive on line cutters and whatnots.


    Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Speaking of work, is the bootpack up the bowl getting used? I’d like to see a photo of that. I take it the wiggle will not form this year.
    I've been spending waaaay less time on the upper mtn. cuz of long lines for a slow lift. Lotsa locals adjusting their ski zones according to crowdage.
    On my occasions up Sublette, I've not seen a single person hiking or even preparing to. Doesn't mean it's not happening but kinda why would you? Skiing is great all over...
    The wiggle could form with a warm spell and some skier focus but I doubt it'll be the usual.

  8. #1283
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Speaking of work, is the bootpack up the bowl getting used? I’d like to see a photo of that. I take it the wiggle will not form this year.
    A few people are using the boot pack, usually followed by an Instagram post how they went Gondi/thunder/Sublette, then booted up the bowl, just to beat their friends who took the tram.

    The wiggle may form, but for that to happen, we will need the tourists to stay away.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  9. #1284
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wilson, Wyo.
    Posts
    4,082
    Put a little 30" snippet of my day here.

    (Sorry, don't know if I can embed a video directly.)

    Nothing special, just a little mellow skiing with some snow in the face. Give it a look or a thumbs up if you like.

  10. #1285
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,650
    WTF was with all the monoboards at Targhee today?

  11. #1286
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the hole
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    WTF was with all the monoboards at Targhee today?
    and snowbikes on the pass lately.WTF

  12. #1287
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    WTF was with all the monoboards at Targhee today?
    Monopoloza? They are a hardcore bunch and I think it’s usually late Feb/early March?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #1288
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    390
    UAN - 👍👍.

    Float like an angel.
    Just what I needed to start my morning on what could be my last powder day of the season.

  14. #1289
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boulder/Tetons
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Put a little 30" snippet of my day here.

    (Sorry, don't know if I can embed a video directly.)

    Nothing special, just a little mellow skiing with some snow in the face. Give it a look or a thumbs up if you like.
    Special

  15. #1290
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    12,806
    What a great trip.
    Stupid lines. But amazing snow. And it was less skied off than usual
    Only one tram. But is was a bombing run so no stupid waiting in that line.
    It’s cool how they bring the clicker out to the end of the line for last tram. That’s the best time to catch one. At least you know you’re getting on and you can finish strong. The bowl looked so buffed every day.
    God bless the kemmerers for the Teton lift! Saved the day many times. Fuck that thunder line. Sublette never seemed that bad.

    Gonna be titties on the upper mountain after yesterday’s blow down and this storm. Git sum!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

    “I got the degree of Stamp-licker from the Bezuzus Mail-order University”
    Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis

  16. #1291
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    12,806
    Steady stream of hikers going to eagles rest.
    Not a bad idea to take it to sweetwater mid station waiting for an open seat I guess?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

    “I got the degree of Stamp-licker from the Bezuzus Mail-order University”
    Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis

  17. #1292
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Put a little 30" snippet of my day here.

    (Sorry, don't know if I can embed a video directly.)

    Nothing special, just a little mellow skiing with some snow in the face. Give it a look or a thumbs up if you like.
    Sweet video! What type of setup are you using?

    F waiting 2 hours in line for a lift more than once in a bluemoon. I could understand camping for first chair but I'm lapping empty lifts all day.

    Any rec'd spots around Jackson for winter camping without a particularly high clearance vehicle? Proximity to JHMR preferred. ty

  18. #1293
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    8,316
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Put a little 30" snippet of my day here.

    (Sorry, don't know if I can embed a video directly.)

    Nothing special, just a little mellow skiing with some snow in the face. Give it a look or a thumbs up if you like.
    That was just outstanding, the music set to the turns, sooo damn soothing.

  19. #1294
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,650
    Pow Day!

  20. #1295
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Driggs
    Posts
    444
    With all the road closure this AM Targhee was most pleasant. Great snow, easier parking, and the lift lines were not too hideous. Great Saturday in my book.

  21. #1296
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wilson
    Posts
    1,466
    Hearing the first whispers ikon won't be renewed next year
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

  22. #1297
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Hearing the first whispers ikon won't be renewed next year
    This is the out year right? After the three year contract?

    I’d be surprised if the almighty dollar didn’t win, but maybe they think they can sell more pass dollars without the ikon crowds?

  23. #1298
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    This is the out year right? After the three year contract?

    I’d be surprised if the almighty dollar didn’t win, but maybe they think they can sell more pass dollars without the ikon crowds?
    They have had an out every year. Crowds didn’t show until after the out the first year. Last year they used the threat of leaving to get the Jackson/Aspen access add on added to the ikon pass. A LOT of us would love them to be out, but money wins.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #1299
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    JAC
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    They have had an out every year. Crowds didn’t show until after the out the first year. Last year they used the threat of leaving to get the Jackson/Aspen access add on added to the ikon pass. A LOT of us would love them to be out, but money wins.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The crowds showed up the very first year, as a parking pass holder of 15 years, suddenly hardpack Wednesdays had no parking. Also I know that we did not have an out of the contract. Had a beer with the JHMR lawyer and an old lawyer who goes to the bench 2 years ago. That got a little heated!


    I would see no problem leaving IKON because the richest county in the US got much richer due to scores if not hundreds of ultra wealthy COVID refugees moving here- they alone should be able to support a higher pass price and a greater chunk of revenue coming from pass holders. I'm totally fine with that.

    Also go back to marketing to the wealthiest Australians, Mexicans and Brazilians, they spend money and dont jam up the Tram and upper mountain like Ikons do.

    I know this season is a one off, and actually the skiing for the last 4 weeks has been insane- but I have skied fewer days, and the one thing that sets JHMR apart from other spots is gone for me this year. Typically 300-400 trams, and about 90-100 days. This year I am at 50 days and 5 trams.

    Anyway- first world problems.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

  25. #1300
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,781

    ~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    The crowds showed up the very first year, as a parking pass holder of 15 years, suddenly hardpack Wednesdays had no parking. Also I know that we did not have an out of the contract. Had a beer with the JHMR lawyer and an old lawyer who goes to the bench 2 years ago. That got a little heated!


    I would see no problem leaving IKON because the richest county in the US got much richer due to scores if not hundreds of ultra wealthy COVID refugees moving here- they alone should be able to support a higher pass price and a greater chunk of revenue coming from pass holders. I'm totally fine with that.

    Also go back to marketing to the wealthiest Australians, Mexicans and Brazilians, they spend money and dont jam up the Tram and upper mountain like Ikons do.

    I know this season is a one off, and actually the skiing for the last 4 weeks has been insane- but I have skied fewer days, and the one thing that sets JHMR apart from other spots is gone for me this year. Typically 300-400 trams, and about 90-100 days. This year I am at 50 days and 5 trams.

    Anyway- first world problems.
    The out the first year was Jan 15, but it was an out with a lot of consequences. With the lack of use and the consequences, the resort powers that be said the out wasn’t an option, but the had a way to get out. The resort had 10 ikon pass days used in December the first year and 1k from Jan 1 to Jan 15. There was 9k users from Jan 16 to the end of the month, and 30k ikon user days in Feb that year. I stopped hearing from the source I trusted ikon days used that March at 20k user days 14 days into the month, but the grape vine rumor was 45k users that month.

    The next season Mary Kate let it slip that ikon pass days were 25% of users but according to her the issue was really locals and employees skiing more. The resort that year cut down on employee season passes, instead giving people 10 and 20 days passes with restrictions.

    I agree with everything else you said. Go after the Uber wealthy crowd. Turn the fancy restaurant at the top of the Bridger Gondi into Jackson’s version of Aspens Cloud Nine. Unlike Aspen, the drunks can take the Gondi down.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by skibrd; 02-28-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •