Page 42 of 105 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 2624
    The wind is back with a vengeance at my house. I think we had a half-hour respite. It's been nuking since Saturday. Doesn't the sky eventually run out of air?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Think I am finally popping my cherry soon. All these years as a maggot and I haven't been to Mecca yet.

Buddy got the job of a lifetime (look for an absolutely incredible sushi chef opening a restaurant in Jackson next summer) and now I have a nice place to crash down there.

I am hearing conflicting stuff about reciprocity of Big Sky season passes. Heard shaky intel that BS pass holders can still by tickets when JH is sold out? Can this possibly be true? I am going to call the ticket office, but wondering if you fine local maggots have the inside scoop.
    If Big Sky season passes get you mountain collective benefits you should be able to buy tickets half off and just walk up. Ikon has to reserve ahead of time. If you know your dates though you should really just book them now and save yourself the time.

Also, the ticket office has blatantly stopped caring so it might take you several calls to get anyone. My buddies came up last weekend and it took each one about 5 tries to get through to a person so they could book.

It would not surprise me in the least that Jackson is matching visitation from last year.
    Live Free or Die

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Ahh, I have the "Double Black" Big Sky pass which is unlimited everything but no MC or Ikon benes. Guess I'll have to get in line with all the other Jerrys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    The wind is back with a vengeance at my house. I think we had a half-hour respite. It's been nuking since Saturday. Doesn't the sky eventually run out of air?
    It's like the Fed, they just keep printing more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    so Rheam posted an obs on the avy site from yesterday, south side “ Largest grain and most widespread surface hoar on the pass this season to date”

surface hoar development was the last thing I was thinking of with this constant wind. Was that side of the pass spared the nuking wind?

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    so Rheam posted an obs on the avy site from yesterday, south side “ Largest grain and most widespread surface hoar on the pass this season to date”

surface hoar development was the last thing I was thinking of with this constant wind. Was that side of the pass spared the nuking wind?
    I can't say for sure as I was not there for his observation, though I can say this:
    I've seen dramatic variability in terms of snowfall (snowfall, not deposition) and wind. As but one example, on a day when significant snow was reported at Raymer overnight (overnight, literally, not a 24h period), I found a similar amount on/around Glory and nearly nothing new at Mail Cabin/Taylor from the 5p the prior day to 9a.

I guess what I'm saying is that lack of new snow on the south side and — perhaps — different wind could result in the differences observed in the snowpack.

It's not surprising to me when people report differences between the snowpack in, say, the Snakes vs the Glory area vs the central Tetons. This is the first year that I'm noting such variability within what I traditionally have considered to be "the same zone."

yeah, thanks. I’ve noticed that same variability this year, but didn't get the sense that this recent wind event had that many small scale differences. Seemed like it was strong, constant and everywhere, so a report of a bumper crop of surface hoar was a real surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    yeah, thanks. I’ve noticed that same variability this year, but didn't get the sense that this recent wind event had that many small scale differences. Seemed like it was strong, constant and everywhere, so a report of a bumper crop of surface hoar was a real surprise.
    I agree. That said, I've been traveling uphill for 3-4 hours with not a hint of wind only to be absolutely blasted when topping out. Haven't been there in a number of weeks, but one particularly windy day I found remarkably untouched/unaffected snow near the top of the Claw. On a day with notable wind transport, the snow had piled up (in an exposed area no less!) under calm conditions. Odd.

!! Wrong forum jong!!

before throwing out to the great unwashed thought i'd see if there's any local interest. ping me w/?

18"/M Gravity Bullseye Five-X like new, 1x10, 4.9" tubed, $1150obo [ya can't do deep mag discount sorry]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2570.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	441.3 KB 
ID:	362545

161.5 Lib Tech T Rice, Gnu binders, 9/10 condition, $250obo

Name:	IMG_2574.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	362546
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Pass didn’t have 13-17 inches today... must of just been the right type of wind

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

with visibility in glory bowl. it was pillaged by noon and worth it. the warmest hike in 2 weeks and it was till only 20 with no wind but cold and deep everywhere. saw norm from the tiki taxi, the 65+ wilson mafia was on top too. today felt like a teton classic. new and old faces all smiling all around

I was up there...did Norm hike to the top of Glory? He didnt strike me as the cardio type...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I was up there...did Norm hike to the top of Glory? He didnt strike me as the cardio type...
    no i hitched he picked me up. just reminiscing those days

Word up, mags.

I been stuck in my head for a week or so, feel like the cloud is thinning out now tho.
    I've really misplaced my ski mojo in the past few weeks.

The long waits for minimal skiing; the ignorant closeness of people; the increasingly early call for 1st box; my knee feeling strong then tweaked; racking the shit outta my 55 yr old carcass; the ineptitude of the mgmnt.;friends getting passes yanked; fucking schoolers.
    AAAAArrrrgh.

So I skipped most of the last storm cycle and got back on the horse last week. It was stressful to skip big pow, even tho i've had 5 lifetimes of it. It's in my DNA to chase the deep turns. It's science.

Skied a big pow day this morning with EastorBust and that really helped my mojo realign. Thanks mag, you are killing it here for your first season in JH. Fucking crushing it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some answers maybe:
    I said this in post 1, our average percentage of lightness at the village is between 7-11% roughly. 9-10 is pretty typical, 11-14 is stiff to wet and 6-9 is lighter but often wind affected,buffed, packed, which alters the density. This season has prolly averaged 8%.
    Ultralight is not the norm but by no means uncommon. Our tendency towards colder storms increases the chance of lower percentage snow. Anything below 6% is gonna be blower to deep hoar frost and is truly the magical diamond dust skiing. It can also be the ankle snapping stuff of legends.
    Storms that put us in the grinder often produce lighter snow, such as recently. We get stuck between a cold High pressure and a not too pineappley low and we get a windy snowstorm with small flakes. It stacks so much bigger than it appears to.

Also, when they tell you they did a manual assessment of the light snow, that means they lifted a handful and blew on it. Wow, that's gotta be 3.2. Whatevs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Passholer - been thinking on ya. Gave #2 the fucking eye the other day. Feel free to bring more gritty pass action in here.

Supergaper- You too mag, bring your stoke. You carry some real weight here. Throw it down.

Ski220 - been here a month skiing and partying it up. Way to take advantage of the sitchiation mag. You absolutely nailed the timing and adding next week was sharp. Let's get some more this week...yeaaaaaah.

TG/UaN - Rheam, the first troller to bust me out. Fucking guy.
    I remember that shit 30 years later. I'm all scorpio...

AdiRider - beliebe me when I tells ya, there ain't no way visitation is equal to last year. Lines are due directly to uphill capacity limitations. Just one opinion but I cannot believe SG's intel. And I don't doubt him on much.
    In a regular season, these big line days would shrink fast; right now 200 people in line have to wait like 10 cars instead of two. A twenty minute wait turns into 2 hours.
    First car of 25 this morning was full by 6am yet the maze had about 200 in it max at 8:30.

I might add that I'll wait for a line almost never. Ask the mags I run with. This year I've been way more tolerant and have waited over an hour for 3 or 4 boxes.
    Bet I haven't done that in 10 years. Just gotta deal; I see a line of about 80 people, a walk on box and get seduced into a 45 minute wait to load the dock.Fuuuuggggg...

WRG - Holla if ya need a hand with anything and let's try and turn a few when your down here. We met briefly at BBIMT.

Mr Suit - is correct in that being in front of the crowd is the only really tolerable place to be skiing. Back to post 1, get the fuck up and get out there. Then do your waiting.
    The Wind is our Friend. In the winter. In the offseasons, it's a pain in my ash.

Jackattackkkkkk - are you coming to town? Holla K.

S_jenks - when ya down mag?

Scooter65 - Holy sheisse are you guys gonna have some good skiing. Tons of snow now with a solid week of weather incoming. I'd be down to connect with ya and get after some village goods if ya gots time and an inclination. Holla...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Next week starting tuesday thru the weekend is the window for the kings/queens of Corbet's competition. What with all the silk falling, it should be an eye popper.
    Baby Bear - is yer fella working the mic this year?

And today was even better then yesterday.
    Hoback first thing. Not a track in front of me.
    It's a big place.
    Ran into DJ and EastorBust at the tram.
    Both first boxers today. Dedication!
    Went for a couple more sweet RS laps with EorB.

It's starting to pile up.

Name:	20210213_213112.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	362835

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

DJ and everyone - thanks for bringing the stoke. I'm gimped out with a partially torn and very unstable ACL and LCL, and just waiting to schedule knee replacement surgery for this spring. I love reading about all the fun every day, and it keeps me smiling even if I'm not getting any myself. Hope I can join you all next year for some pow turns.

I think today was some of the deepest, lightest snow I've ever skied in the Tetons. 22+ inches fell overnight with more falling straight down on a rare (of late) windless day. It made for warm ascending & long, untracked lines.

Took a few pics of friends.

Name:	7F5A3238.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	989.4 KB 
ID:	362849

Name:	7F5A3244.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	754.0 KB 
ID:	362850

Name:	7F5A3245.jpg 
Size:	861.7 KB 
ID:	362851

Coming up for air:

Name:	7F5A3246.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	911.0 KB 
ID:	362853

Name:	7F5A3287.jpg 
Size:	718.1 KB 
ID:	362854

Name:	7F5A3372.jpg 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	362855

Name:	7F5A3460.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	612.4 KB 
ID:	362856

Name:	7F5A3557.jpg 
Views:	123 
ID:	362857

Was wondering where you’ve been DJ. Glad things are good. Managed to get away from work Monday and enjoy left overs from the last storm cycle. It was a good day.

The wind has been howling and blowing like crazy over here since Friday morning, it’s whiteout/ground blizzard and large drifts. Not going anywhere until we get the road out of here plowed. Bummed that I won’t be able to get away from work this week.

PS Got to meet East or Bust today — super solid dude & new owner of a *clean* pair of Spats I might regret parting with one day.

People don't come much nicer/more real than him.

Awesome photos UAN!

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

DJ, it’s not just you, a lot of us feel the same way. We are all in this together. It will be better next year. ❤️

Long lift lines, I don’t know what to tell ya, our lifts haven’t and won’t run this year. Border closed so good skiing is twenty minutes away but it feels like 1,000 miles.
    I take solace in knowing I’ve had 20+ good years already, hope next year add to that total.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    I think today was some of the deepest, lightest snow I've ever skied in the Tetons. 22+ inches fell overnight with more falling straight down on a rare (of late) windless day. It made for warm ascending & long, untracked lines.

Took a few pics of friends.

Name:	7F5A3238.jpg 
Size:	989.4 KB 
ID:	362849

Name:	7F5A3244.jpg 
Size:	754.0 KB 
ID:	362850

Name:	7F5A3245.jpg 
Size:	861.7 KB 
ID:	362851

Coming up for air:

Name:	7F5A3246.jpg 
Size:	911.0 KB 
ID:	362853

Name:	7F5A3287.jpg 
Size:	718.1 KB 
ID:	362854

Name:	7F5A3372.jpg 
ID:	362855

Name:	7F5A3460.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	612.4 KB 
ID:	362856

Name:	7F5A3557.jpg 
Views:	123 
ID:	362857
    Wow.
    Just.
    Wow.
    All time. Epic. Fkna
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    PS Got to meet East or Bust today — super solid dude & new owner of a *clean* pair of Spats I might regret parting with one day.

People don't come much nicer/more real than him.
    Agreed 100%.
    Solid mag with a lot to offer.
    I'm absolutely amped he split the desert southlands for the Crown jewels.
    He DESERVES those unicorn skis. Well sold and bought.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    DJ, it’s not just you, a lot of us feel the same way. We are all in this together. It will be better next year. ❤️
    Thanks, Mag.
    I am prone to getting bummed out about the village after so many years of them fumbling everything but I've also steeled myself to their ineptitude.
    Mother Nature and my friends always seem to pull me out of the downward spiral so I can eventually get back into my vortex of delirium.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Long lift lines, I don’t know what to tell ya, our lifts haven’t and won’t run this year. Border closed so good skiing is twenty minutes away but it feels like 1,000 miles.
    I take solace in knowing I’ve had 20+ good years already, hope next year add to that total.
    Vibes B30, honestly it's the notion that as fakakta as the village is, it's light years ahead of most ski resorts this season.
    It's not impossible to look at the lines and recognize that it could be way worse.
    Like if JHMR chooses to permanently opt in for the IKON shiteshow. That's the next big hurdle here.
    As I said, in a regular season, these crowds would be almost walk on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2BJenny - glad you got some, holla when you can get back over. If ya get stuck in the valley, I always have a place to crash for ya in town...

CS - won't be long now...let's turn some and maybe burn some.

I think UaN's photos make the snow look 5 times deeper and 10x lighter than it really is.

Puhleeze...

Now you'll believe me when I tell you that the silk is flowing over our shoulders like so many Superman capes.
    When airway management becomes an issue, you've just gone to another level. Breathe, turn, breathe!
    Those shots define the word ' Blower'.
    Sick.

Edit: yesterday I was asked for change for a nickel. A fellow mag from the deep SoCal introduced himself as MTV36 if I heard him correctly.
    Thanks for wrangling me for that short convo and then we flash by each other on the U.P. road, whooping it up. A pleasure to meet ya, holla sometime.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 02-14-2021 at 08:22 AM.

DJ.. good to see you back on the post. This year has fucked with a lot of our head spaces in different ways. The verbal stoke you bring, and the visual stoke from UAN keep me connected to a place I fell in love with 20 years ago.

Wifey and I were In the neighborhood for a few days. Mainly visiting friends in Victor and skiing some pass laps. We did score yesterday at the village. Man it felt good to put the Superman cape back on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk