Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Rfid basically ended most of the green pass deals several years ago.

I’m talking about pass pictures.

I thought proper procedure was just to ski away from the yellow jackets? Or are they red? I forget

Roll the wayback machine to clipping tickets in the parking lot with Jimmy Chin maybe 2003.

Or sliding my buddies at the Crystal Springs lift bottles of whiskey so we can slide on the lift easy peasy.

Working in the Moose kitchen winter of 82-83 with Big Wally in the shot bar. An end cut of prime rib primed the pump for many kamikazis later that evening.

The tiny "chain-up lot" on top of the Pass; Pete Quinlan and the other denizens of the Dome driving up sideways in the huge Dodge whose front logo then spelled GOD. Skis fit in the trunk sideways, even with all of us on 205-210-215 Rossignol Randonees.

Tele powder 8s up above Togwotee Lodge.

Haha life has been good as a ski bum in the Tetons.
    Last edited by homemadesalsa; 11-12-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Adding stories

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Roll the wayback machine to clipping tickets in the parking lot with Jimmy Chin maybe 2003.

Or sliding my buddies at the Crystal Springs lift bottles of whiskey so we can slide on the lift easy peasy.

Working in the Moose kitchen winter of 82-83 with Big Wally in the shot bar. An end cut of prime rib primed the pump for many kamikazis later that evening.

The tiny "chain-up lot" on top of the Pass; Pete Quinlan and the other denizens of the Dome driving up sideways in the huge Dodge whose front logo then spelled GOD. Skis fit in the trunk sideways, even with all of us on 205-210-215 Rossignol Randonees.

Love all of this, first turns I made in county 22 were before halloween, '88 with an introduction to teton pass.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

At one time I had three pair of Haute Routes, would love a pair today even just to look at them. I occasionally go into peaked spots just admire their walls hangers. Good times for sure,

Visuals coming in on the wayback machine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OG2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	347640
    Jh Patrol/worker company issue 70's-80's Rocky Mountain Featherbed.

Name:	OG3.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	347641
    And it belonged to BW...

Name:	OG1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	347643
    Jerk Ware, a label from Cisco and Kevin G. ca. '91

Name:	OG5.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	347644
    They used to have a pin for everything.

Name:	OG4.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	347645
    This one though is the gem, very obscure...

djongo, that shit is so tight.
    swing your fucking sword.

Jackson is a special place, and I am glad I got to know a couple of you guys while hanging out in the valley.

I don’t know if anybody knows old Dean the head of JH Patrol in the 90s, but he rented me his shack for a couple winters before I retreated to Bozeman. It was like a museum.

Headed to ski whatever bush/pow is on the pass come Monday. Give a shout if anybody is scraping p tex off the bottoms of your skis that day.

Thanks Steal, I try to bring out some coolio stuff for show and tell. Local History is the basis for our ski bum community in Jackson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Superior - go back to post #60 in this thread. That's a Pic of Dean Moore in 1985. Holla if uptown for a brew or nuggage. Would be interested in yakking about him sometime.

YES Djongo! Thanks for sharing these pictures. I love seeing old stuff like that and can't help but find myself considering their place in history. Hard not to be inspired by the places and people they've been around!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Thanks Steal, I try to bring out some coolio stuff for show and tell. Local History is the basis for our ski bum community in Jackson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Superior - go back to post #60 in this thread. That's a Pic of Dean Moore in 1985. Holla if uptown for a brew or nuggage. Would be interested in yakking about him sometime.
    DJ, I’m working on a project and clearly need to pick your brain on history.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-13 at 7.12.07 AM.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	347697
    This is really cool DJ thanks for sharing all of that stuff...Ive always wanted to see video footage of the downhill hosted at JH(anyone?)...often imagined what it must have been like to tuck onto the fall away right hander into the downhill chute...

Glad youse guys are digging on it, trying not to dull down the vibes while waiting for lifts to spin.

Skibrd - Always enjoy talking villy history, anytime.

Scooter, that pin is a bit of a mystery; I can see no WC level FIS races here in 78 or 79. Yet I know there was a race or two about then.
    I recently met a former racer, in a wheelchair now, who raced in the Can-Am series then. He told me he raced in that big one as a local guaranteed entrant. I will pick his brain more on that.
    I'm fairly certain it was called the Wild West Classic.

The course began at the hanging snowfield, lookers left of corbet's. Ya know where skiers slide into tensleep coming from top of Sublette? A coupla yards uphill of that.

Through tensleep, dropping into the DH chute, into Horn's hole and down the upper GV, (Amphitheater now), across the sunnyside taverse and onto Lower GV to the finish.
    I can ski the fuck outta that mountain but man, I would lose a lot of sleep prior to pointing Tensleep thru the DH chute

As an aside, that double fall line cut on the right of middle Slalom, it connects Slalom to the lower GV, that's known as the Women's cut. I believe it was an alternate route or set up for a turnier course, on the FIS level.

And howzabout that summer race camp pin? Bueller?

Look close and you'll recognize that the peak is Cody. Pepi taught ski racing on the Pow 8 face in the summers long ago. Last I looked, about 15-20 years ago, there was still a little debris left from the poma platter pull piled up in the basin. Only visible in summer now...

Ok, Here's an old tidbit... who here know's of the ' Ironskier ' competition?

Here’s to a safe and snowy season.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Name:	OG4.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	347645
    This one though is the gem, very obscure...
    Class of '68 here.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^^^^^^^^^

No FUCKING Way. For reelz?

Gotdamn you got some chops.

Glad youse guys are digging on it, trying not to dull down the vibes while waiting for lifts to spin.

Skibrd - Always enjoy talking villy history, anytime.

Scooter, that pin is a bit of a mystery; I can see no WC level FIS races here in 78 or 79. Yet I know there was a race or two about then.
    I recently met a former racer, in a wheelchair now, who raced in the Can-Am series then. He told me he raced in that big one as a local guaranteed entrant. I will pick his brain more on that.
    I'm fairly certain it was called the Wild West Classic.

The course began at the hanging snowfield, lookers left of corbet's. Ya know where skiers slide into tensleep coming from top of Sublette? A coupla yards uphill of that.

Through tensleep, dropping into the DH chute, into Horn's hole and down the upper GV, (Amphitheater now), across the sunnyside taverse and onto Lower GV to the finish.
    I can ski the fuck outta that mountain but man, I would lose a lot of sleep prior to pointing Tensleep thru the DH chute

As an aside, that double fall line cut on the right of middle Slalom, it connects Slalom to the lower GV, that's known as the Women's cut. I believe it was an alternate route or set up for a turnier course, on the FIS level.

And howzabout that summer race camp pin? Bueller?

Look close and you'll recognize that the peak is Cody. Pepi taught ski racing on the Pow 8 face in the summers long ago. Last I looked, about 15-20 years ago, there was still a little debris left from the poma platter pull piled up in the basin. Only visible in summer now...

Ok, Here's an old tidbit... who here know's of the ' Ironskier ' competition?
    Great stuff DJ, the consistent vertical drop of JH along with the total vertical must have made it one of the most intimidating DH events on the circuit at the time...thanks for the detailed route info..I was only ever sure about the top section as described and really had no idea of where it went after downhill chute, i guess i heard they used to create a big 'ol pile of hay-bales on that DH Chute turn - or maybe I created that thought in my brain...

The local racer in the wheelchair - is he the guy who did ski tuning with Coombs back in the day? "The whole ball of wax"? if its the same guy, he actually was the reason me and my crew ended up at JH versus Whistler Blackcomb, if its the same guy...its a long story...love the way back machine!

Did not know about the summer ski camp, or the remnants of an old poma over there...so cool.

Gotta tell us 'bout the 'ironskier' precursor to Ironman? 24 hrs of Aspen?

Yep, 10 days Pepi led with Fertl Fettig and Corky Fowler among others as coaches.

The lifts were cable lifts with "handles ". The danger was big rocks coming off the top as the day warmed.

Getting back to the tram was a hurf. A couple of days we got to ski Corbets and walk out to tower 3 (did I count right?)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Yep, 10 days Pepi led with Fertl Fettig and Corky Fowler among others as coaches.

The lifts were cable lifts with "handles ". The danger was big rocks coming off the top as the day warmed.

Getting back to the tram was a hurf. A couple of days we got to ski Corbets and walk out to tower 3 (did I count right?)
    I met and skied with Corky a bit when he returned to skiing back in 2009. Great guy and super nice.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Here's some old brochures I have floating around.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Who knows where this originated, probably found it in the snow...

36 trams to this pin.

Name:	stbo.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	347795
    There ya have it, nice, Lawless!
    I notice that map lacks a quad up high, no?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I still can't get over Buster having been a camper with Pepi. Man, that cat could roll.
    Your description reminds me now of that debris pile, cables, a wheel and maybe even some handles. Ima gonna go see next summer now fosho.
    You'll have to give us that story sometime. puhleeeeeze.
    I know a Fettig or two...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Nice!

What were those lifts called. We had one back east when I was a kid. Seemed like 2nd or 3rd gen rope tow.

Looking at coming into town from pocatello and was wondering how you get the GOLDEN ticket? Looked at the web site and no option. Would love to ski before the crowds and moma bday is dec 13.

I don’t think those exist in COVID times.

https://shop.jacksonhole.com/s/lift-.../golden-ticket
    You still need to pre-purchase, but you get 50% off with a season pass from anywhere else, even Pebble Creek.