Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2624
    Unpopular opinion of the day:

High speed 6 at Thunder
    High speed 4 at Sublette
    Expand into RS with lifts

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Did anyone else see this?

From buckrail -- Actor Rob Lowe ‘chasing the rush’ at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort

Claustrophobia, I think?
    pretty good skier imho

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

High speed 6 at Thunder
    High speed 4 at Sublette

That would def cut down the tram line... is RS in JHMR's "permit area"?

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Tangentially ski-related (was on my way home from a quick ski):
    Attachment 365879
    Wow! What a photo. Mother fukin nature!

It's pretty obvious that all the "Icon wasn't my idea and I'm trying to get out of it" from new mgt was total BS from day one...not that it's a surprise. People in any ivory towers have never really cared much for the people down below. She got hired to ramp things up and that's what's gonna happen whether we like it or not.

7 days here per Icon pass next year pretty much puts the last nails in the coffin as far as over crowding next season.

February was off the charts. I missed a little bit of it with dinged up body parts here and there but that's the price for playing the game hard. I spent every minute I could exploring the only thing that was still fairly uncrowded ...north and it was stellar. If I would have stayed inbound it may have resulted in jail time dealing with the crowds and self entitled shit bags that masses of people always include. In the end it forced me to head out every single day I skied and while taxing to the body the skiing was epic. No regrets there.

I can't help but feel like our fate is sealed at this point and it is pain full to look ahead and see whats coming in our future. I thought I would be spending winters here simply until I couldn't. I just figured it would be a financial or physical issue that would eventually shut me down...not some stupid fucking pass that fills us to the point where you really can't get serious about skiing because you can't get up the damn mountain. I love it here but I'm here to ski and waiting in line isn't skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Wow! What a photo. Mother fukin nature!
    Thank you. I'm often blown away and humbled...

There were SIX bald eagles in a tree the other day

From buckrail -- Actor Rob Lowe ‘chasing the rush’ at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort

Claustrophobia, I think?
    Insecurity is an interesting thing. Why does someone who is widely admired feel the need to lie (or overstate) things?

Expert chutes as a hike? (Or am I looking at the wrong thing?)

Insecurity is an interesting thing. Why does someone who is widely admired feel the need to lie (or overstate) things?

Ok, I thought I was seeing the wrong thing too because it just didn’t make sense, hiking to the expert chutes?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Ok, I thought I was seeing the wrong thing too because it just didn’t make sense, hiking to the expert chutes?
    I mean, there is a little bit of side-stepping......

But a "long, hot, and sweaty hike"? Hm.

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yes, and they are allowed one or two more lifts. I’m not 100% sure if Eagles Rest is the last lift they are allowed or if they can build a few more.

Claustrophobia, I think?
    Thats what I was thinking....except there is no ‘hike’ to get there.....unless he is referring to the traverse. You can see the tram cables in the background and amphitheater flats below.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    It's pretty obvious that all the "Icon wasn't my idea and I'm trying to get out of it" from new mgt was total BS from day one...not that it's a surprise. People in any ivory towers have never really cared much for the people down below. She got hired to ramp things up and that's what's gonna happen whether we like it or not.

7 days here per Icon pass next year pretty much puts the last nails in the coffin as far as over crowding next season.

February was off the charts. I missed a little bit of it with dinged up body parts here and there but that's the price for playing the game hard. I spent every minute I could exploring the only thing that was still fairly uncrowded ...north and it was stellar. If I would have stayed inbound it may have resulted in jail time dealing with the crowds and self entitled shit bags that masses of people always include. In the end it forced me to head out every single day I skied and while taxing to the body the skiing was epic. No regrets there.

I can't help but feel like our fate is sealed at this point and it is pain full to look ahead and see whats coming in our future. I thought I would be spending winters here simply until I couldn't. I just figured it would be a financial or physical issue that would eventually shut me down...not some stupid fucking pass that fills us to the point where you really can't get serious about skiing because you can't get up the damn mountain. I love it here but I'm here to ski and waiting in line isn't skiing.
    This.
    Thread lurker here, but this post could easily be written about the LCC, and wstdeep could be me. Sorry to come on here and share the whine, but the Alta led us to believe they wouldn't re sign w/ Icon and they just did.
    Always figured they were about the experience not the almighty dollar (they have no debt). Else they would allow snowboarders, their parents and grandparents, no?
    Been living and patrolling up the LCC the last 42 years, and if I couldn't cut the lines and had to deal with the insane traffic on account of living downtown, I'd only be touring on a powder day as well.
    Figure on retiring soon, and realize I'll be touring and finding new pursuits for Nov-Feb when the froth is so bad. Hopefully March-April will continue to be less crowded (when there's not powder) cuz folks are doing other things as it warms up, and we can get some actual lift served skiing in not standing in lines...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    This.
    Thread lurker here, but this post could easily be written about the LCC, and wstdeep could be me. Sorry to come on here and share the whine, but the Alta led us to believe they wouldn't re sign w/ Icon and they just did.
    Always figured they were about the experience not the almighty dollar (they have no debt). Else they would allow snowboarders, their parents and grandparents, no?
    Been living and patrolling up the LCC the last 42 years, and if I couldn't cut the lines and had to deal with the insane traffic on account of living downtown, I'd only be touring on a powder day as well.
    Figure on retiring soon, and realize I'll be touring and finding new pursuits for Nov-Feb when the froth is so bad. Hopefully March-April will continue to be less crowded (when there's not powder) cuz folks are doing other things as it warms up, and we can get some actual lift served skiing in not standing in lines...
    I'am up in the Tetons after a 45 year run at Alta. Seemed the "experience" died when Onno left. That have replaced the snow enthusiasts with MBAs. One possible upside is people exploring new small areas. They should also remember that the learning curve for sitting on a beach, is a very flat one.

Only Cody bowl is in the permit area. A four shadows lift would be pretty gnarly. Doubt it will ever happen.

Thunder is going high speed someday. It's a bottleneck. Sublette gets too much wind.
    Lower Faces lift would help somewhat, but then again, it just adds to the Thunder clusterfuck.

Who ski based off the RS Buttress? I think that run is now known as "Ding Bang Ow!"
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    This.
    My son is now in SLC in his first year living on his own. One of the things that bums me out is that his ski experience as he grows up and grows older is gonna be very different than mine. He loves Alta deeply, has grown into a phenomenal skier, and deserves to have the experience we all had years ago when it was all about actual skiers and there was room to explore, fuck around, do dumb stuff and make the slopes a lifestyle.

I think Alta and Jackson still preserve that - for now. But how long will it last? He sends me videos of huge air he’s hitting on hotdog under Connor and it makes me smile. That’s the way it should be at that age. Shootin the shit and ripping around all day in a special place that is all about the turn.

Hope it’s still around in another 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    My son is now in SLC in his first year living on his own. One of the things that bums me out is that his ski experience as he grows up and grows older is gonna be very different than mine.
    That's the biggest bummer for me. I wish my kids could have the skiing experience that I did. They got a taste of it growing up at Snowbasin, enough so that they are bummed out at the crowds now.

I'll be touring and finding new pursuits for Nov-Feb when the froth is so bad. Hopefully March-April will continue to be less crowded (when there's not powder) cuz folks are doing other things as it warms up, and we can get some actual lift served skiing in not standing in lines
    As a 30+ year visitor to your Canyon, I'm the same. My Dad and I had our minds blown circa '88 using his work miles to fly to SLC, staying in some La Quinta in the burbs, eating Denny's and mexican and skiing bluebird powder paying whatever an Alta ticket cost.

In some ways, that week set me on my life path. I'm done storm chasing to busy places. I've skied my share of pow. I hope I get some wind buff Bird Tram laps, maybe some mid week Jackson. But maybe not. It's gotten to the point where the I can get everything I like about skiing, except "the turn" elsewhere...But then you get "the turn" and it all comes back you keep jonesing for more.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    My son is now in SLC in his first year living on his own. One of the things that bums me out is that his ski experience as he grows up and grows older is gonna be very different than mine. He loves Alta deeply, has grown into a phenomenal skier, and deserves to have the experience we all had years ago when it was all about actual skiers and there was room to explore, fuck around, do dumb stuff and make the slopes a lifestyle.

I think Alta and Jackson still preserve that - for now. But how long will it last? He sends me videos of huge air he’s hitting on hotdog under Connor and it makes me smile. That’s the way it should be at that age. Shootin the shit and ripping around all day in a special place that is all about the turn.

Hope it’s still around in another 10 years.
    Yeah, I feel the exact same way about my kids and their opportunity to do the same. Not sure they ever will considering they can surf for 'free'. My years at the village we'd ski right onto the couch with no lines ever. Thunder had lines occasionally as did the tram, but they were manageable. And pay to park...wtf?

Even in 1989 the full pass was around 1k if I recall. I had a weekday pass...what was that called.."true shredder"?...that was around $500 or something, but they never checked...except the tram...Djongo! ...so I was able to still ski every day.

I'm going to be that touron with the Ikon next year taking my kids to the village for the first time. So I am adding to the problem that the industry has created.

I had to watch the video, (something I usually avoid), but isn’t that line called “Forrest Jump”?
    Slightly uphill side stepping is just not a hike.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Heh.

You old codgers are keeping up the long tradition of old codgers yelling "It ain't what it used to be!!" at passing clouds.

And so it goes...

Heh.

You old codgers are keeping up the long tradition of old codgers yelling "It ain't what it used to be!!" at passing clouds.

And so it goes...
    Yeah, well when I was in a van down by the river Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. You're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, well when I was in a van down by the river Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. You're lucky.
    I was communicating with people on the internet before Al Gore invented the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

High speed 6 at Thunder
    High speed 4 at Sublette
    I've been thinking about a high speed at thunder for the last few years. I think it will actually be a good thing for locals. Time-wise, it will get tracked out quicker, but not run-wise. Right now, people are getting what, 2-3 lap/hr if you're lapping Thunder on a busy day? A high speed will maybe double that lap/hr number? When I have buddies visit, I have a rough idea how many runs they've got in them for the day. If we're on a slow chair, I can stretch that out and maybe get a few more out of them if they get a good rest on the chair. If I brought them to Teton lift, I could wear them down in an hour or two.

Put in a Teton speed lift at Thunder and tourists will get run down fairly quick, they'll stop for a rest between the top and bottom, they'll call it a day at lunch. Meanwhile, the stronger skiers will start lapping them.

Honestly, the word on Jackson (and Alta and all the other places that get plastered all over the mags and instagram) is out. With more people able to work remotely or flex their work schedules and the population growth in areas near these places, the crowds are here to stay Ikon or no Ikon. Maybe Ikon makes it worse during the holidays and school breaks but the crowds are still there midweek and non holidays so it's not just an IKON effect.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    I've been thinking about a high speed at thunder for the last few years. I think it will actually be a good thing for locals. Time-wise, it will get tracked out quicker, but not run-wise. Right now, people are getting what, 2-3 lap/hr if you're lapping Thunder on a busy day? A high speed will maybe double that lap/hr number? When I have buddies visit, I have a rough idea how many runs they've got in them for the day. If we're on a slow chair, I can stretch that out and maybe get a few more out of them if they get a good rest on the chair. If I brought them to Teton lift, I could wear them down in an hour or two.

Put in a Teton speed lift at Thunder and tourists will get run down fairly quick, they'll stop for a rest between the top and bottom, they'll call it a day at lunch. Meanwhile, the stronger skiers will start lapping them.

Maybe. But not Sublette please. Maybe if Thunder was high speed everyone would stay there and leave Sublette alone...

Heh.

And so it goes...
    DJ, sorry us lower latitude codgers jacked the thread some.
    Who is this skittlekid whippersnapper anyhow?
    Upallnight you and your contributions to this thread rock. Keeps me clicking. That you spend the time and have the talent to compose, thanks.
    Jimmy
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.