Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bwahahaha who uses a studfinder

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Well, with this suggestion and a closer look inside the outlet box I came to the conclusion that there is some very thick drywall on the wall. I did some more exploratory drilling around the outlet and found some wood chips pretty far in. Maybe there is also some kind of insulting sheeting under the drywall between the drywall and the studs? Not sure, but the studs are deep.

A couple of pilot holes later and some 2.5 inch #10 screws (I'm hanging bikes) and the first stud was drilled into. Went 16 inches on center to the side and found another stud. Rinse, repeat for 4 bikes.

Yes, I could have potentially used drywall anchors and I know bikes don't weigh a ton. I'll be hanging other stuff that is a lot heavier, so this was a trial run finding studs on this wall.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
    5/8 is code for firewalls & ceilings
    Probably a super insulated wall with ridgid foam backing the drywall

If the stud finder doesn’t work you can always use your avy beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    If the stud finder doesn’t work you can alway strap on your avy beacon and have someone search for you.
    FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    how disappointing - no sawzall
    Lol, sorry to disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Using drywall anchors will make your dick smaller, or possibly turn inside out. Not sure, never risked it.

Anyway, I'm sure next time you'll go deeper in search for studs.
    Another great comment, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    5/8 is code for firewalls & ceilings
    Probably a super insulated wall with ridgid foam backing the drywall
    That is my thought as well. The garage isn't heated so I think the wall is very insulated.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    If the stud finder doesn’t work you can always use your avy beacon.
    Should have thought of that.

Does this wall have a Durasurf 4001 exterior siding?

If so, you could be looking at a foam core sandwiched between two algae based polymers. A telltale sign would be a visible ABS sidewall on each end.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Have you tried getting a stud finder, pointing it at yourself, and then making a beeping sound? It’s how you calibrate it.

This is similar to the rule that says when strapping things to a trailer you must shake the straps and say “that’s not goin’ anywhere”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just checking in here to say I’m so glad these missing studs were located safe and sound.

Now on to a completely relaxing stress free evening.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Grab a sawzall and just start cutting around until you hit some shit, then look in. It will be enlightening, no doubt
    I was thinking chainsaw.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I had higher hopes for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I was thinking chainsaw.
    Waffle face framer.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Waffle face framer.
    My wife brought one of those with her into the relationship. It's a beast. And invariably someone uses it when they shouldn't and they leave a nice waffle print somewhere visible. I'm as guilty as the next person. It's always the easiest hammer to find for some damn reason.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My wife brought one of those with her into the relationship. It's a beast. And invariably someone uses it when they shouldn't and they leave a nice waffle print somewhere visible. I'm as guilty as the next person. It's always the easiest hammer to find for some damn reason.
    I was a framer for a while. You should see what it does to a thumb.

I worked on my dads concrete crew as a teenager. One day a guy was on the side of about 10’ high forms and was doing an underhand swing with a brand new 22 oz waffle face framing hammer. He missed the board he was aiming for and smacked himself dead center of his forehead. He fell off the wall and landed on his back on a soft pile of dirt. I ran over to check on him, and he just laid there stunned, with blood running down his face from the waffle pattered cuts in his face

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    hammer mark Howley

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Well, with this suggestion and a closer look inside the outlet box I came to the conclusion that there is some very thick drywall on the wall. I did some more exploratory drilling around the outlet and found some wood chips pretty far in. Maybe there is also some kind of insulting sheeting under the drywall between the drywall and the studs? Not sure, but the studs are deep.

A couple of pilot holes later and some 2.5 inch #10 screws (I'm hanging bikes) and the first stud was drilled into. Went 16 inches on center to the side and found another stud. Rinse, repeat for 4 bikes.

Yes, I could have potentially used drywall anchors and I know bikes don't weigh a ton. I'll be hanging other stuff that is a lot heavier, so this was a trial run finding studs on this wall.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
    Glad it turned out to be a well built garage. So an inch++. Of sound/fire barrier over the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Glad it turned out to be a well built garage. So an inch++. Of sound/fire barrier over the frame?
    Yep, exactly. It seems pretty darn well insulated.

The wall wouldn’t be any more insulated than the exterior walls - which it essentially is if the garage isn’t insulated and heated.

Get a set of plans for the jurisdiction- always worth having. Saves issues like this from occurring as they should identify building assemblies.

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    The wall wouldn’t be any more insulated than the exterior walls - which it essentially is if the garage isn’t insulated and heated.

Get a set of plans for the jurisdiction- always worth having. Saves issues like this from occurring as they should identify building assemblies.

Yeah...what...no. You think Teton County Idaho is gonna mandate and keep on fire assembly drawings for a garage wall. This is 'Merica out in the sticks. A pretty picture of a house with an engineers stamp is all you need. The inspector may or may not make it past the hood of his truck. If you meet him outside with the hard card, a fine tipped sharpie and a donut, you are probably good to go. Pander to his authority, mention all the above and beyond you may have done, ask really pointed questions, inquire about the wife and kinds, chat bout the weather and local politics....soon enough you'll get the "good to see ya, you guys know what you're doing, better get on to the next one, see ya around".

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Yeah...what...no. You think Teton County Idaho is gonna mandate and keep on fire assembly drawings for a garage wall. This is 'Merica out in the sticks. A pretty picture of a house with an engineers stamp is all you need. The inspector may or may not make it past the hood of his truck. If you meet him outside with the hard card, a fine tipped sharpie and a donut, you are probably good to go. Pander to his authority, mention all the above and beyond you may have done, ask really pointed questions, inquire about the wife and kinds, chat bout the weather and local politics....soon enough you'll get the "good to see ya, you guys know what you're doing, better get on to the next one, see ya around".
    Bahahaha! QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I may or may not have been involved in a custom house in MT where the inspector literally never got out of his truck.