USWE Pack Anyone?

Does anyone have real-world experience using one of the bigger USWE packs? I hate wearing a pack but when I'm running my Chasing Epic trips, it's a necessity (obviously). I've used a Deuter pack pretty regularly for the last few years, but I'm not a huge fan because the shoulder straps dig into my collarbones. Which is why I started looking at the USWE packs.

I don't carry a ton of stuff with me, but it needs to hold a mirrorless camera/lens setup, ~2L of water, spare tools, a tube, etc. I'm looking at the Airborne 15L specifically. Any TGR reviews for me?

USWE Pack Anyone?

I’ve got one of the smaller ones that I wear on the moto. Don’t know it’s there. No bouncing just like they claim. I’ve got hardware in my shoulder and am sensitive to that and this pack doesn’t bother me at all.

I’ve got the outlander.

I tried my buddy's on. He loves it, but it didn't work for me at all. Couldn't get it to feel both comfortable and snug. Like not even close.

So maybe try one on, if possible.

Get a Kriega. It's the better, burlier version of that single point harness pack design.

I've used mine for thousands of dirt bike miles (in terms of gear wear they are worth at least 5x mtb miles), mostly with at least 3L of water and a bunch of other crap. It still works like new.

https://kriega.com/riderpacks/r15
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I've been intrigued for years but use a pack so little I haven't invested in one.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I ended up ordering the Airborne 15 off their website, at 50% for the highlighter yellow version it was a tough deal to pass on. I don't really wear one when I'm riding at home, but I'll give it a shot a couple times this winter and report back on what I think.

Bump

Anyone have more recent impressions they can share?

Looking primarily at the Airborne 3 and Hydro 3. They have a different style back panel venting, curious which one would be better. And the hydra may have an updated harness style (1.2 vs 1.0)...

I have the patriot and really like the features. Harness style is the best but can carry food and some gear and is very durable. Had it for one season.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Bump

Anyone have more recent impressions they can share?

Looking primarily at the Airborne 3 and Hydro 3. They have a different style back panel venting, curious which one would be better. And the hydra may have an updated harness style (1.2 vs 1.0)...
    I’m interested too.
    FWIW I emailed them and asked for a recommendation for a do-it-all pack for bikepacking, bc skiing, and moto/adv riding. They recommended the Hajker 30.

I ended up buying the Airborne 15 last summer with the intention of using it on my longer local rides, where I need to bring water and some basic supplies, but not much else. Essentially, a substitute for a hip pack since my waist doesn't get along with those very well.

Overall, I think it's a decent pack. Seems well-made, fairly light, and well thought-out pockets and storage. A few thoughts on actually using it: I found that when the chest harness is "engaged" (clipped in), that it feels like the pack is constricting breathing on harder efforts and longer climbs. I ended up un-buckling the straps on longer climbs, and then buckling it back up when I started the descent. Obviously that works if you've got that kind of riding... but for more XC/trail stuff, I think it would be a pain. When buckled, the pack definitely stays tight to your back on rowdy descents, as long as you don't carry a heavy load.

The other nit I have is with the hydration reservoir- you can't detach the hose from the bladder (at least on the one that came with mine). I'm used to Deuter and Osprey, which both make it way easier.

I ended up buying a new lightweight Osprey pack to replace the USWE. If anyone wants mine for the cost of shipping (or to pick up locally around Boulder), I'm happy to arrange that.

I’d pay some shipping/beer money to try one. If it doesn’t work for me, I’ll pass it on same deal.

Those packs look like they carry the weight fairly high, like the thoracic zone....seems like it would negatively affect the DH experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I’d pay some shipping/beer money to try one. If it doesn’t work for me, I’ll pass it on same deal.
    Being sent next week.