Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Truckee vs Mammoth Winter Touring Ops

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I've always paid for the faster, more expensive Suddenlink package (because I need reliable internet for work) and haven't had connectivity issues like I keep hearing about around town. Probably not a coincidence.
    Suddenlink user in Mammoth, I have the cheapest data limited plan and it works great 99.99%, I manage a few places and the only ones with connection issues are the ones without Suddenlink. However, good luck getting any kind of customer service, they no show for appointments, cancel due to smoke, and can never get anyone on the phone. I think most peoples issue with Suddenlink is that they blame everything on the ISP and nothing on their phone, computer, etc.
    As far as afternoon touring, most stuff in Mammoth have long approaches except the Sherwins, lifts can be fun in the afternoon, open boundary policy, but conditions have to be right as most stuff out of bounds is south facing.

Truckee vs Mammoth Winter Touring Ops

If I could find housing I would choose mammoth in a heart beat.

Have you looked in Bishop? Less than an hour drive to the ski hill, a little more to June, but touring nearby. And way cheaper I presume.

But sure, more varied and easier winter access near Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by snophoto View Post
    Suddenlink user in Mammoth, I have the cheapest data limited plan and it works great 99.99%, I manage a few places and the only ones with connection issues are the ones without Suddenlink. However, good luck getting any kind of customer service, they no show for appointments, cancel due to smoke, and can never get anyone on the phone. I think most peoples issue with Suddenlink is that they blame everything on the ISP and nothing on their phone, computer, etc.
    As far as afternoon touring, most stuff in Mammoth have long approaches except the Sherwins, lifts can be fun in the afternoon, open boundary policy, but conditions have to be right as most stuff out of bounds is south facing.
    The best part of being in town is you could take the village gondy up for a couple hours midday. Sounds like dawn patrols are a bit harder. What if you have a sled?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    If cost is no object, bc skiing in california is one of the best in the world. Safer than almost any other place, steep couloirs, etc.

East side, big approaches though

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    I know. I’d look at a map of CA and choose a small town in or near the mountains and that is more affordable than Tahoe or Mammoth. This is predicated on touring being the focus.

It could be anywhere with good internet along 395 between Alturas and Lone Pine. Yes, I said Alturas. The Warner Mountains are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Granlibakken is code for Total Gnarl dood.

I actually live in a Shangri La where I know everyone on my street, no houses are second homes or air bnbs, and I can walk to Tahoe’s best bar.
    Curious which place you're referencing as Tahoe's best bar. BT?

I do think that Granlibakken neighborhood is pretty great - I have a few friends who live around there.

Curious which place you're referencing as Tahoe's best bar. BT?
    I'm gonna go with DS
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    If I could find housing I would choose mammoth in a heart beat.

Have you looked in Bishop? Less than an hour drive to the ski hill, a little more to June, but touring nearby. And way cheaper I presume.

But sure, more varied and easier winter access near Tahoe.
    What makes you say this? Is it the town? Is it farther from the hoards?

Away from the hoards. Not much there. Short term Rentals are for sure way cheaper. If there is inventory, it won’t be ski resort town prices. Tom’s Place is also worth a look but quite small.

Personally, I’d look outside of Mammoth Lakes if I was trying to save money.

The Vilage Gondi does not help w afternoon access unless you live there. Take a shuttle to any base and start skiing.

In a moderate snow year you can park along the road up to main and access the resort through the woods for a good stretch. Of find a spot at chair 2 at 2.

There are a lot of little communities south of mammoth that could have rentals available, McGee creek, toms place, Crowley, round valley, and bishop.

Does mammoth have a fiber line into town? I’m not sure what those other communities have available.

Not sure if and how it’ll matter but all of the CA mountain/resort counties under discussion in this thread are having upticks in covid rates that, if they continue at current rate for the next week or two, will result in state-mandated increases in restrictions.

^^ It's either going to be a good thing or a bad thing that the resorts near Truckee are all in Placer County as opposed to Nevada county. Not sure which yet.

^^ It's either going to be a good thing or a bad thing that the resorts near Truckee are all in Placer County as opposed to Nevada county. Not sure which yet.
    Yea. I’m not aware of any specific state guidelines yet about ski resort operations and how that would relate to the state’s covid tier levels.

The last weekly assessment by the state (week ending 10-24) had placer county with a bad week by the state’s standards. Last week had similar results (my quick calc had case rate 7-day avg as 9.14/100k). This rate would put the county into the most restrictive (purple) tier.

and then there's Heavenly, in two different states.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    It’ll be interesting if heavenly will need to change their opening plans (and locations). Aren’t they planning to open the CA side first?

If counties or the state do not allow ski hills to open or close them down because of covid problems, the Tahoe BC is going to be packed. I’d much rather be living on the east side in that circumstance.

Truckee vs Mammoth Winter Touring Ops

The tahoe BC is going to be packed.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Or KW in three different counties. But I think the resort is basically in Amador.

I spent a good chunk of this summer looking for a rental, open to anything between June and Bishop, and it was sparse. We got lucky. If it's anything like earlier in the year it may be a showstopper for relocation plans.

I've only done spring touring down here after Tahoe has gone to dirt, but the terrain to people ratio is an order of magnitude larger. Which is one of the main reasons why I'm here.

It's funny, next time you purchase sunblock at either of the sport shops Sugarbowl has different tax rates.

Mammoth sled access: I know people do it, but not too many. Sled riding is limited to certain areas for the most part

Finding a rental outside of Mammoth, maybe a bit easier, still hard. Bishop seems to be almost as expensive as Mammoth and hard to find a place.

Internet: Fast internet available just about everywhere, cheaper and better in Crowley, Toms, Paradise. $uddenlink in Mammoth/Bishop

Covid: Cases just about doubled in the last week due to an outbreak at the military establishment in the county.