winter ski camping camp footwear

Would be interested to hear from the collective knowledge some ideas for lightweight packable camp footwear for winter/spring ski camping.

Criteria:
    1. Want something to wear while around camp, to give the feet a break from ski boots.

2. Would love options that are minimal weight and volume as overnight ski tours already make for heavy enough packs.

I've used sneakers and down booties with soles before, which were fine but left some weather protection to be desired.

Wearing boot liners in a pair of lightweight Neos seems like a pretty good option for comfort + more coverage but is a bulky.

I know going without is definitely the lightest option, but apart from that what has worked well for you in the past?

To clarify looking for options geared towards on snow tent camping not hut trips.

I use these stupid thick LL Bean wool socks with rab booties over a pair of old OR brooks range overboots.
    swing your fucking sword.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Down booties with climbing skin scraps stuck to the bottom as soles and also around the lower section for added snow protection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crocs-classic-blitzen-iii-clog.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	346049

grocery bags around ski boot liners works well, except for the bad traction. I often do a combination, thick socks in liners only inside the tent or if it's quite cold, then thick socks in boot shells for that late night pee, or short times outside the tent.

I can't imagine bringing an extra pair of shoes on a tent camping ski trip unless it was seriously basecamp style

I found some tyvek over booties with grippy soles that I put over my liners. I think were in paint section. Weigh close to zero

https://fulltiltboots.com/en-us/p/ap...otie-1-0-black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://featheredfriends.com/collect...s-down-booties

In dry climates these work great. You can walk around outside as long as you’re in packed snow without issue. Likely not ideal for a really wet PnW trip.

Double up on a pair of these over boot liners. Get the ones with slip resistant soles...
    https://www.grainger.com/product/DUP...JMEDM:20500731

If you are wearing your boot liners in overboots, then they are not drying out for the next days adventure. And that can suck, bad.

I'd probably get something like those FT's posted above.

Down booties offer close to zero traction or walkability on snow. But they are great for hanging around.

Western Mountaineering Expedition Booties. Gore fabric and knee height. Ended up using mine for a cold river trip a week ago, stumbled around through some small brush and typical desert shit. No issues on top of the ~40 nights I've used them in the snow.

I'd recommend not down but synthetic soft booties. Have both, prefer synthetic for ski trips + equipped with a foam insulative insoles.
    When used on snow/cold conditions booties are always a bit wet (from outside moisture, from your sweat if used without vapour barrier), so down requires a lot of babying or degrades quickly.

When you'll need more traction or protection it's OK to use booties inside ski boot shells occasionally.

Downs are sweet for in-the-tent-only use (sleeping etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    I'd recommend not down but synthetic soft booties. Have both, prefer synthetic for ski trips + equipped with a foam insulative insoles.
    When used on snow/cold conditions booties are always a bit wet (from outside moisture, from your sweat if used without vapour barrier), so down requires a lot of babying or degrades quickly.

When you'll need more traction or protection it's OK to use booties inside ski boot shells occasionally.

Downs are sweet for in-the-tent-only use (sleeping etc.)
    Agreed, synthetic insulation is key because they always end up damp. I used these ones from MEC. Never regret throwing them in the pack.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5055859-BLJ00.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	346213

Bean wicked goods chuccka boot with rubber sole.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've used down booties in overboots on Denali a few years back and that seemed to work alright, but not ideal and we all had cold feet at times. there was a team of North Face athletes at the 14k camp that just brought actual winter boots that were lightweight like the thermoball lifty or Tsumoru Boot, and those dudes seemed to have the warmest, happiest feet on the down days. That's probably what I'll do the next time I winter camp over a week and temps are gonna be cold.