Page 164 of 226 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 5635

Thread: THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

came up to Truckee for the week, dang you can really feel the new economy up here. Restaurants closed on some weekdays, help wanted signs everywhere. Tahoe is going to turn into a place where you can't get basic services soon. Hopefully there's enough staff next season to run the mountains!

https://www.sfgate.com/renotahoe/art...s-16318055.php

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    came up to Truckee for the week, dang you can really feel the new economy up here. Restaurants closed on some weekdays, help wanted signs everywhere. Tahoe is going to turn into a place where you can't get basic services soon. Hopefully there's enough staff next season to run the mountains!

It's been like that for a while--just worse now.

^that just scratches the surface
    Crystal Bay Steakhouse just closed due to zero front of the house staff. West Shore Cafe lost their chef earlier this summer when the house he was renting sold so he took a job in Placerville. They promoted from within but haven't been able to replace he who was promoted and the entire kitchen is working 60+ hours/week. We have limited our hours and reservation counts in the hopes there won't be a massive walkout. My daughter had to take July off from her job since she is homeless, and camping out of the basin. Her workplace is very understanding and now very understaffed. She will miss the monies from the best month of the year. I have numerous other friends living in either vans or tents (some with their children) and still trying to make it work.
    We are nearing a tipping point, where you will come here, and have no one to tip.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Dude ^^^^ that is insane. Sucks to hear families and really anyone living in vans due to housing crisis in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post

That is pretty much the case every where right now. Lots of people are having a hard time hiring. I’m back east traveling right now and it is hard to find a place to eat on Monday or Tuesday. Part of it is people waiting till their unemployment bonus runs out, and quite of few figuring out how shitty working in the service industry can be. Last years was the first time many got to watch their kids open presents on Christmas morning. Now they are thinking it might be better working an office job for a paper company. Not to mention they can’t live any where near some of these service industry jobs that pay shit and you have to deal with entitled dickheads. Maybe it is a great reset. Ya gonna have to start paying people decent wages to take shitty jobs.

The entire kitchen staff walked out of Billy’s Chowder House last week cause the owner was requiring they work 7 days a week. He switched to five days a week and everyone got a $2/hr raise to come back to work. I hope workers take some of their lives and dignity back.

ruh roh
    blowing up in the pleasant valley area. Rather inaccessible with a clear run toward grover hot springs and burnside lake

Tamarack fire as seen from Genoa. Two trucks of north lake hand crews seen headed south on 395 in Carson
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Solidarity with all workers who noticed the leverage available to them at the moment and acted on it. Extra props to the workers who organized together in order to stand against exploitation and unsafe working conditions.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Friends closed on a house in Markleeville on Tuesday..................

Overnight mapping puts the blaze over 6,600 acres
    https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...-markleeville/

The mapping also puts it as moving 5 miles since yesterday. 5 more miles would put it squarely in woodfords.

Was camping at lost lakes yesterday, saw the "thunderheads" and bailed out so quick. Don't think anybody is coming up 4x4 roads to warn of an evac.

What's so strange is this is a photo from yesterday 2pm 7/17 from the nipple looking towards reymond peak, no fire whatsoever, not even smoke wisps. What the hell happened?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210716_183306360.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	379691
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210716_183306360.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	379690  

At least for the photo, it would have been just out of view to the left

This is from the spur about 3 hrs later

Name:	PXL_20210717_024211748.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	916.5 KB 
ID:	379695

Daily Great basin outlook briefly mentions extremely impressive rapid spread from that Tamarack fire.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6t-Fp4-zUw

Howdy y'all. Just moved to Reno. Seems combustible around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    The entire kitchen staff walked out of Billy’s Chowder House last week cause the owner was requiring they work 7 days a week.
    I don't blame them. What a clueless idiot. Amazing an owner making demands like that in an environment where he has no leverage.

On the flip side, if I had a long time employee sitting home collecting checks instead of working, I'd never give them a job again nor a recommendation. Although, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to wear a mask for 8 hours. That'd suck.

I wear a mask 8-10-12 hours a day and it’s really not that big of a deal.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I wear a mask 8-10-12 hours a day and it’s really not that big of a deal.
    In a hot kitchen?

Looking to the east from Donner Lake quite the wall of smoke from the Tamarack fire. Seems like smoke from a much bigger fire.

Pretty sure it is a much bigger fire. I’d guess the next update will be over 35k acres.
    Looking south from mouth of the west fork Carson drainage

Name:	CF974B93-7F3B-40A1-A405-1BF46C8BD771.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	647.7 KB 
ID:	379733

Looking north

Name:	BD3F4596-A876-4C8A-A329-681F3325CBF4.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	379734

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

From CHP on Facebook

The Tamarack Pine Fire is now estimated to have burned approximately 12,000 acres, and is zero percent contained. It is threatening approximately 200 residences, and has burned approximately 10 homes. CHP has closures currently in place at SR-4 / SR-88, SR-89 at Woodfords, and SR-88 at Diamond Valley Road. The increase in afternoon wind has contributed to some extreme behavior by the fire. No CHP personnel have been injured and no state property has been damaged. Sgt. Braaksma is on scene, and will be relieved by Sgt. Dan Webb at approximately 1800 hours. At one point Markleeville was surrounded by fire, but fire personnel have so far been able to protect most of the structures.
    The fire continues to spread northeast from Markleeville. Most of the area near Wylder, Markleeville, and Crystal Springs have successfully been evacuated, and power to Markleeville is reported to have been cut off. Power lines north of Markleeville were downed by the fire, but have been cleared.

From my vantage point in the Tahoe Keys area, the smoke column lessened significantly around sunset. Vibes and prayers for Markleeville and the heroes trying to save it.

Think the 12,000 acres may be a typo. Inciweb had it 21000 a bit earlier

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Was pretty ominous today

Name:	PXL_20210717_194540091.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	379751

Quote Originally Posted by Cartwright View Post
    In a hot kitchen?
    We're not doing this again. Welcome to Reno. Post stoke.

^^ don't think he can yet. not even sis's titty pics til he gets 10 posts.