Page 169 of 226 FirstFirst ... 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,225 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The mountain is still called Snow King. They're just renaming the lift. Just call it Resort Chair since that's what most of us call it anyway.
    Yeah, I was talking about naming the lift that. They can't use Resort Chair because that would give advertising to a non Squaw property. Or did Squaw buy it as some point? I can't imagine Squaw using any suggestion that came from TGR.

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    Uhhhh Derp. Now I feel really stupid today. Either my page didn't upload more for some reason, or I accidently scrolled into the abyss of ads below the article. Or I'm just stupid.

I stopped reading at ""Given the number of wildfires and their increasing size coupled with severe fire danger conditions throughout the West, I recommend that you immediately reevaluate current US Forest Service direction that allows wildfires to burn and instruct all Regional Foresters that all wildfires should be suppressed as soon as possible," said McClintock in the letter.""

I saw in the beginning of the article that they didn't stop it because of lack of fuel, natural containment, etc.

But I was generally curious why they don't put out every single little fire no matter what. Didn't see the end of the article stating lack of resources so they have to juggle. I understand a bit better now. Mainly cuz you guys
    There's another article out drawing a parallel to the 1987 Markleeville fire that torched a number of homes and for which the residents sued the FS for incompetence and won a $2 million settlement. The locals had shown up to fight the blaze first but the FS idiots kind of brushed them off and told them to leave, they had it handled. But that wasn't the case at all.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I thought you were referring to the land being originally stolen from the native americans and am not sure how that would apply here
    So, I want to avoid sounding condescending here bc this seems basic *to me*, but, with all due respect, don't you see how the land was stolen (and it's STILL stolen) in the same way, under the same system, that your home was taken from you? Maybe it's not as basics as I think it is. We are all smothered in capitalist and white supremacist propaganda. How do you go about changing a system hundreds of years old? Good question, but I would say it begins with acknowledging the theft and enclosure that started it all. South Africa's process was called Truth and Reconciliation.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 08-03-2021 at 09:22 AM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

They should just call it 'only chair open if there's a breeze.'

Lolz

Looks like a good deal on a touring setup at sports hub in Truckee:

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Easy Breezy!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    "Either this or the carpets"

Colfax (River??) fire looks like trouble.

^^yeah if they don't get a handle on that tonight, tomorrow will be bad. it doesn't seem like they will be able to get a handle on it tonight
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

That's not good with a red flag warning starting tonight.

Does anybuddy in north lake smell the smoke?

It's not like they're hands aren't already full. The Dixie fire has roared back destroying the town of Greenville today with extreme fire behavior on tap for tomorrow.

very sad
    https://twitter.com/SoCalFirePhoto/s...04046689177600

The first time I drove through Greenville I was not impressed. It was small, the shops all seemed closed. It was hot and mid summer. I got gas and kept moving.

The second time through Greenville we decided to stop for a beer on the way back from a mid winter Lassen trip. There was a great bar right in "downtown" -something like - The Greenville cocktail and tiki bar. The place was full of a very old (and some new) collection of taxidermied animals from the area. Lots of unique Bucks, birds, and at least one of every kind of mammal in the Sierra. The regulars were super nice. One guy asked us if we wanted to know why it's called the tiki bar. So he walked us through the kitchen and into the back. They had lovingly built a large outdoor tiki bar with palm leaves and coconut finishes - super cool. The dance floor, I was informed, was built on car shocks "so it'll get a-moving when your dancing" additionally it was equipped with a blue light at the top that would go on to inform them party that the floor weight limit had been reached. We went back in and the guy gave us a half pound of the jerky he makes and bought us another round. They had a big biker party there every 4th of July and he told us we should go. Covid happened and I never made it back inside. Those folks are salt of the earth.

Not great news this morning...

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

[RIVER FIRE]

2400 acres.
    No overnight growth.
    Difficult conditions expected today.
    ~50 structures destroyed.

Yubanet is on it.
    https://yubanet.com/regional-fires/rivercolfax/

here is the cam to watch. it does seem like they have a handle on it at this point.
    http://www.alertwildfire.org/sierra/...xis-HowellMtn1

edit-it updates every 15 seconds and there are plenty of aircraft on it. (and that bird has been watching for a while)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river-fire.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	481.0 KB 
ID:	381534

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    here is the cam to watch. it does seem like they have a handle on it at this point.
    http://www.alertwildfire.org/sierra/...xis-HowellMtn1

edit-it updates every 15 seconds and there are plenty of aircraft on it. (and that bird has been watching for a while)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river-fire.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	481.0 KB 
ID:	381534
    If they have the upper hand on it, that's great news. It has still been plenty destructive. I would be curious how much management has been done in that area that burned as far as thinning,Rx burns, fuels reduction etc.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    If they have the upper hand on it, that's great news. It has still been plenty destructive. I would be curious how much management has been done in that area that burned as far as thinning,Rx burns, fuels reduction etc.
    It’s almost all private property, so management is dependent on each property owner. The Chicago Park community area, where the fire ran up and into late in the afternoon/evening, is a mixture of residential and ag. A lot of pastures and meadows

I spent most of July working and exploring a few spots in California. That place is F-d as far as fire dangers and the amount of people out and about recreating.

On my way there I was blown away driving through South Lake Tahoe on the 50 by the insane amount of people there for the weekend. It was like being in NYC at Central Park on a beautiful weekend day. I'm curious, do most Tahoe locals just stay at home and hide out on the weekends? I know I would. It's just too much. I kept driving and found a quiet camp spot off some logging roads further down the 50 far from the lake and weekend warriors.

I'm looking into a spot about 3.5 hours from Reno right now, if there were some sick shuttle trails without any crowds in a beautiful setting could I draw some numbers from the Reno/Tahoe area? Would a semi-secret escape be something people there are looking for?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

if it's not fire, it's the plague...the chipmunk plague at that
    https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...n-south-tahoe/

I avoid the crowded places on the weekends. I may or may not stay home. I;m retired.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I spent most of July working and exploring a few spots in California. That place is F-d as far as fire dangers and the amount of people out and about recreating.

On my way there I was blown away driving through South Lake Tahoe on the 50 by the insane amount of people there for the weekend. It was like being in NYC at Central Park on a beautiful weekend day. I'm curious, do most Tahoe locals just stay at home and hide out on the weekends? I know I would. It's just too much. I kept driving and found a quiet camp spot off some logging roads further down the 50 far from the lake and weekend warriors.

I'm looking into a spot about 3.5 hours from Reno right now, if there were some sick shuttle trails without any crowds in a beautiful setting could I draw some numbers from the Reno/Tahoe area? Would a semi-secret escape be something people there are looking for?
    Keep in mind that SLT is way more of a shit show than elsewhere around the lake. Not to say there aren't shit shows in Truckee / west shore / Incline / KB, I just mean relatively speaking. But yeah, I tend to go out more during the week and lay-low / ride trails I can access directly from my house / grill at home with friends, etc. on the weekends. Although there are still some quiet spots that aren't completely blown up.

If your proposed escape with great mountain biking was far enough away to not get completely blown up, yeah, you'd attract a lot of people for sure. But also a lot of people are lazy (which can be a good thing in this case) so it really depends on the distance and how awesome the trails are.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Keep in mind that SLT is way more of a shit show than elsewhere around the lake. Not to say there aren't shit shows in Truckee / west shore / Incline / KB, I just mean relatively speaking. But yeah, I tend to go out more during the week and lay-low / ride trails I can access directly from my house / grill at home with friends, etc. on the weekends. Although there are still some quiet spots that aren't completely blown up.

If your proposed escape with great mountain biking was far enough away to not get completely blown up, yeah, you'd attract a lot of people for sure. But also a lot of people are lazy (which can be a good thing in this case) so it really depends on the distance and how awesome the trails are.
    Ok, thanks. That's the sort of input and nudge I'm looking for.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Yes…….summers have become unbearable…..I’m looking to spend summers elsewhere once my youngest is outta high school in 2 years. And while south lake is indeed a shitshow………I think it’s still better then Tahoe city, the east shore and most of the west shore where it doesn’t have the infrastructure to handle what the crowds have become
    I still love it here in the winter though as it’s easy to escape the people traps if you’re willing to earn your turns

Live at lake view summer concert series was sposed to start tonight but is now cancelled till sept cuz covid’d……. Fuksakes

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

Live at lake view summer concert series was sposed to start tonight but is now cancelled till sept cuz covid’d……. Fuksakes
    That sucks! I know the return of music on the beach has been a huge boost to my mood. Come on up some Friday! (Not this Friday, no music).

And do they really think it'll get better in September?