Page 211 of 226 FirstFirst ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 5635
    LTBMU is except for Meiss Backcountry, Desolation, and the actual fire zone. Humboldt Toiyabe won't reopen until tomorrow at midnight, at which point there will be some sort of as yet described closure at Scott's Lake. Drove out to Kirkwood yesterday and it looked like there was an abandoned fire camp at the Scott's Lake Road turnoff, but it could be a future fire camp instead.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

No dispersed camping or target shooting in Tahoe NF. Plus the prior fire restrictions. Otherwise open.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/t...138&width=full

TRTA and Tamba have posted detailed summaries on Instagram of what’s closed currently.

Seeing you at the morning drop off spot is about the only time I'll see you because you're way too fast for my ass!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I had a full IKON and Telluride pass last year. Called Telluride regarding renewing pass for this season and if any discounts for renewing early. $1900 with no discounts and a price increase in October. Ughhhhhhh.

But yeah, all my kids are doing ski team again at the new tahoe ski resort so see you fools in the morning at the usual spots.

Skiing is good for anxiety. Must ski more:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/healt...ess/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Skiing is good for anxiety. Must ski more:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/healt...ess/index.html
    Great, now I’m feeling anxious that I haven’t skied in about five months, so haven’t been taking care of my mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Great, now I’m feeling anxious that I haven’t skied in about five months, so haven’t been taking care of my mental health.
    Just buy more skis in the meantime

https://www.skimag.com/gear/an-ode-to-new-skis/

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    But does Sugar Bowl have to rename their Palisades now?

What about DSR?
    They gots some Palisades, too...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Power outage planned for Sunday 4am. Sometimes these get canceled. No word yet on how long it will last.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Power outage planned for Sunday 4am. Sometimes these get canceled. No word yet on how long it will last.
    Good times. It’s pretty shitty when it happens when temps are low and people need heating.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Good times. It’s pretty shitty when it happens when temps are low and people need heating.
    They've been saying since June that fall is the season most likely to have an outage. That's when fuel moisture is lowest and the big windstorms are most common in our neck of the woods. Part of the problem is that the transmission lines come up from Reno and the outage can be due to conditions anywhere along the lines, even if fire danger is not particularly high here. Fortunately temps aren't in pipe freezing range. Hope folks have a wood stove option or a generator or another place to go. Anyone who's rented an STR starting Sunday should have a blast. This being the first one I think things will be pretty rough with communication during the outage, Truckee still doesn't have all it's community resource centers up and running. TDPUD can't keep the power on at Donner Lake when the weather is good. 3 5-7 hour outages this summer. And when it comes to power outages I'm a total baby.

To be fair to the TDPUD, they say they only found out about the public safety outage program in June--not nearly enough time to strengthen infrastructure, obtain generators and fuel, build microgrids, etc.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll call it off.
    Last edited by old goat; 09-16-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Upper elevations in the 80/50/88 corridors west of the crest have had to deal with PSPS or possible PSPS events with pretty low temps. They have the same problem with transmission lines. It’s too bad the PUD axed their previous GM, he had gotten NID up to speed and ready for extended outages (and he’s a good guy).

It’s interesting to see how the different forests are opening their backcountry differently. TNF, you are only allowed to camp near the pct and no fires ever in stoves. Inyo, the backcountry is open. We were considering the grouse ridge area for a weekend, but that’s a no-go.

Can't camp in the backcountry, huh? But maybe I'll get a lot of freeze dried food, my headlamp, sleeping bag and tent and set them up on my deck during the power outage. Having no power doesn't bother me backpacking so why should it if I'm home? I can go weeks without a shower backpacking, why not at home. If I get desperate backpacking I jump in a frozen lake. Well, there's a lake right across the road, and it's not even cold.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll call it off.
    What are your messages saying? The ones i get, which I assume to be location dependent sound like it would have to be called on for us, rather than something to be called off.
    Liberty may implement a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) for THESE AREAS (https://libertyutilities.maps.arcgis.com/.../index.html...), due to extreme fire conditions. A #PSPS is not imminent at this time; however, customers are encouraged to plan ahead for the possibility of an extended shutoff that could begin 1:00am Sunday, September 19 and last more than 24 hours. Customers who require power to operate life-essential medical equipment are strongly encouraged to call 9-1-1 if they are unable to secure necessary alternative power. Please join us for a PSPS briefing on Friday, September 17 at 5:00 p.m. Join by clicking HERE:

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It’s interesting to see how the different forests are opening their backcountry differently. TNF, you are only allowed to camp near the pct and no fires ever in stoves. Inyo, the backcountry is open. We were considering the grouse ridge area for a weekend, but that’s a no-go.
    It seems like the regional director closed everything, but then left it up to each forest manager to decide when and how to reopen their forests.

My message from TDPUD says "Safety alert: extreme wildfire dager forecast in next 24-48 hours. Wildfire safety outage scheduled for Sunday September 19th at 4am,"

I expect TDPUD to update the announcement closer to the event. I would assume Liberty would do the same.
    TDPUD and Liberty both get electricity from NV Energy on the same transmission lines.
    I don't know why the time of the outage is 3 hours different.

(POTENTIAL POWER OUTAGE PLANNED DUE TO FIRE RISK) We received notice that, due to extreme fire risk, NV Energy may de-energize transmission lines that deliver power to Truckee at approximately 4AM on September 19. Visit TDPUD website for more info: https://tapit.us/K0n7M3

My message from TDPUD says "Safety alert: extreme wildfire dager forecast in next 24-48 hours. Wildfire safety outage scheduled for Sunday September 19th at 4am,"

I expect TDPUD to update the announcement closer to the event. I would assume Liberty would do the same.
    TDPUD and Liberty both get electricity from NV Energy on the same transmission lines.
    I don't know why the time of the outage is 3 hours different.
    Likely because yours is a definitive time, and ours seems more like a range

Perhaps still too much stuff in flux, but curious, has anyone heard anything about when Highway 50 between Kyburz and Meyers might reopen?

^no, but yesterday when they reopened 88 they said it was a priority because 50's closure will continue for a while. No date set as far as I know

Lot to deal with all through that stretch, so understandable.

Thx for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Likely because yours is a definitive time, and ours seems more like a range
    Truckee/Tahoe school district just sent an email saying they met with utilities this morning and were told a power outage is now unlikely.

What were/are the hospitals going to do?

I’m hearing conflicting reports……is hwy 50 still closed?
    And is hwy 88 all the way open?