Page 209 of 226 FirstFirst ... 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 5635
    Poulsen Valley. That's really what it's been for the last 80 years or so. Would have put a nice little karmic twist on the ongoing saga.

One bit of good news as we continue to come out of the Caldor fire: The county animal shelter in Meyers survived intact (with a lot of help).

Thought about that a lot the past few weeks. Adopted my best buddy there six years ago tomorrow.

And on to the not so good news front...

Addressing Tahoe's Traffic Burden

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Poulsen Valley. That's really what it's been for the last 80 years or so. Would have put a nice little karmic twist on the ongoing saga.
    If that's the standard, any colonizer loses immediately to an actual indigenous person. How about Louisa Keyser?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    For your kid’s and your self. Get your passes at Mt Rose. Don’t tell anyone but seriously
    Being limited to weekend warrior status I have not been stoked on Rose the last couple seasons. Less terrain for folks to spread out to once they're on the mountain and some of their lift lines were just as crazy as Squaw/Alpine on some weekends. Not to mention, their pass is just as much as an Ikon with limited benefits.

If only there was some other resort in the area with better terrain than Mt. Rose and none of the crowds of Squawlpine.

Err... I mean Palisades Tahoe / Alpine Meadows. Palpine?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If only there was some other resort in the area with better terrain than Mt. Rose and none of the crowds of Squawlpine.
    Northstar.

You mean SUGAR BOWL, right?!? Must be Sugar Bowl. That place is awesome. No lines, tech terrain, fresh landings all day long, great groomers, burgers and beer are cheap, no attitude, no traffic, live music, it's always dumping or bluebird...Sugar Bowl is the best.

What did I miss? Oh yeah, LOTS of hot chicks and hot dudes - all single or swingers.

Oh and they have some rad Palisades too!!

Ah Sugar Bowl.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    You mean SUGAR BOWL, right?!? Must be Sugar Bowl. That place is awesome. No lines, tech terrain, fresh landings all day long, great groomers, burgers and beer are cheap, no attitude, no traffic, live music, it's always dumping or bluebird...Sugar Bowl is the best.

What did I miss? Oh yeah, LOTS of hot chicks and hot dudes - all single or swingers.

Ah Sugar Bowl.

If it’s good enough for Goofy, then it’s good enough for any of the dumb-asses on here.

I was actually contemplating getting a pass there this year, but then they sold out. Will probably contemplate again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    If it’s good enough for Goofy, then it’s good enough for any of the dumb-asses on here.

I was actually contemplating getting a pass there this year, but then they sold out. Will probably contemplate again next year.
    I did it for 4 years I liked it
    Living in Verdi it kinda made sense. But decided to go back to the rose for 2019 2020. We all know how that went. They are both places I like the vibe and the skiing
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

There's certainly reasons to knock Rose.

Less snow on the east side,
    Expensive pass prices for only Rose, no partners,
    Lousy mtn management, priced like they're world class but run the place like an understaffed & disorganized mom n pop.

The terrain's not one of 'em!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Ah Sugar Bowl.

I've had Ikon the past couple seasons and had an Epic the 4-5 seasons before that, but I'm considering going SB this season (assuming they release additional passes). Cheap season passes and remote work made corporate resort pow days a night mare. On one pow day Friday morning (not even a weekend), covering the ~12 miles between Truckee and Olympic took 3 hours (although I ended up laying fresh tracks on Sibo that day, which was pretty sick).

Just not sure if Sugar Bowl will keep me entertained for a full season. I've logged around 5 days there, all 10+ years ago. I had a blast and vaguely recall fun-looking terrain under the Lincoln lift. But I was relatively new then, and I'm not sure how I'll feel having logged a bunch of time at Kirkwood, Olympic Valley, Alpine, plus traveling to various other big mountain resorts (Snowbird, JHMR, St. Anton, Alyeska, probably other I'm blanking on).

I also recall their grooming and park weren't the greatest, but that might have changed in the past decade.

Maybe I'll go Ikon again and just pony enough for pow day passes at SB (or Homewood).

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    where are you seeing this? I'm still seeing 11:59pm on the 17th.
    Higher up at MMSA told me.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Still love Palisade Meadows on weekdays, though.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.
    Sorry to blow the spot hehe. It's a great ski area. Nice they capped season pass sales. Truly country club skiing!
    sproing!

Especially last season!

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Still love Palisade Meadows on weekdays, though.
    & Palisade Valley? Maybe this is how I'll refer to them...
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

SB is great, especially the lift serviced backcountry terrain and their uphill travel policy. I can't remember but I felt like last time me and the lady priced it out with her two kids getting passes it was quite a bit more than the Ikon, especially since she gets a first responder discount with the Ikon.

OFFS; Sugarbowl?!?!?!? Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/...d=FSEPRD953063

Open on the 16th. El Dorado and 4 in SoCal remain closed

Working link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/ne...d=FSEPRD953056

Tahoe NF site still says the 17th, but maybe hasn't been updated yet.

It is not that hard to have fun at Palisades Tahoe out of the Olympic Valley base on a weekend. I hit it up with kid on a mid winter Sunday with variable conditions. We skied all day and never were in a line. Far East to KT to Headwall to Siberia to Gold Coast (the one line we hit, but not bad) to Emigrant to Solitude to Silverado to Silverado to Silverado to Silverado to Silverado to Silverado to Red Dog to Palisades Creek to the car. Fucking awesome skiing on almost every run and waited in literally one line. Perhaps it helped that I was skiing with my kid, but if I was local I'd still get a pass for Palisades Tahoe. So much terrain. You can ski both resorts on busy days and still find a way to avoid lines and crowds. I'm mean it is no Vail South where you can ski a Saturday after a powder day and avoid lines all day as long as you skip chair 4 from 10:15 to 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    It is not that hard to have fun at Palisades Tahoe out of the Olympic Valley base on a weekend. I hit it up with kid on a mid winter Sunday with variable conditions. We skied all day and never were in a line. Far East to KT to Headwall to Siberia to Gold Coast (the one line we hit, but not bad) to Emigrant to Solitude to Silverado to Silverado to Silverado to Silverado to Silverado to Silverado to Red Dog to Palisades Creek to the car. Fucking awesome skiing on almost every run and waited in literally one line. Perhaps it helped that I was skiing with my kid, but if I was local I'd still get a pass for Palisades Tahoe. So much terrain. You can ski both resorts on busy days and still find a way to avoid lines and crowds. I'm mean it is no Vail South where you can ski a Saturday after a powder day and avoid lines all day as long as you skip chair 4 from 10:15 to 12:30.
    You're crazy. It's all huge lines, entitled rich fucks, BAY AREA KOOKS, LOCAL ASSHOLES, shitty snow, flat light, a "Village," and HUGE lines. That place is terrible. Especially the lines and the assholes.

Holler this winter if you wanna stand in lines together and be grumpy about that terrible ski area.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Working link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/ne...d=FSEPRD953056

Tahoe NF site still says the 17th, but maybe hasn't been updated yet.
    Hell yeah!

So much for the permanent climate closure conspiracy.
    sproing!

If there is enough snow, and if it's open (lately it's been weekends only) Summit lift at SB can be the place to be when the east wind is raping every place else.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    SB is great, especially the lift serviced backcountry terrain and their uphill travel policy. I can't remember but I felt like last time me and the lady priced it out with her two kids getting passes it was quite a bit more than the Ikon, especially since she gets a first responder discount with the Ikon.
    Yeah the kid passes are steep, relatively speaking. I’ve had both SB and Ikon the last several years but all three kids have ikon passes (costs less but they also love Alpinisade Valley South).

Hell yeah!
    So much for the permanent climate closure conspiracy.
    Noone said anything about permanent climate closures, just that these closures are becoming more commonplace, with no prior planning, despite the fact that it was obvious they would be more commonplace.
    I do believe there will be avalanche danger closures in the future. It will have nothing to do with increased avalanche dangers over time, and everything to do with the land managers keeping people from being hurt on their land, in the interest of public safety, and with an abundance of caution.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Noone said anything about permanent climate closures, just that these closures are becoming more commonplace, with no prior planning, despite the fact that it was obvious they would be more commonplace.
    I do believe there will be avalanche danger closures in the future. It will have nothing to do with increased avalanche dangers over time, and everything to do with the land managers keeping people from being hurt on their land, in the interest of public safety, and with an abundance of caution.
    How soon in the future? I'll bet you on that one, although if it's too far in the future you'll have to try to collect from my estate.