Page 62 of 226 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Well everyone arrived again today, made the mistake of going to the end of Keller at 10:15 to ride Van Sickle. Crazy on ski run Blvd from people trying to grab the last couple street parking spots as the California lot was full. Lift line a buddy took a photo of had people all the way out in the parking lot, never once seen that before ever, at least there limiting the number of folk that can ski, NOT.

Edit: this was the line to pick up a pass, line on gunbarrel was just backed up to the first chair lift, which is still stupid long

Attachment 357095
    I drove down the hill on 50 today at 11:30AM and it was a nonstop shitshow of people trying to sled everywhere. I was almost taken out by someone doing a U-turn in the middle of the highway - twice. The snowplay area at the summit was full and turning people away as usual. Sierra parking was blocked off as full with a good 100 cars double-parked near the entrance waiting for people to come out. It's crazy out there.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Schralpine Ghettos was filled beyond capacity today, with all lines beyond the corrals. Upper lots filled plus White Wolf, Chalet Rd and Deer Park (first time this season). I have a feeling it will be like this until after the Presidents weekends...fortunately mid-weeks are tolerable. Alterra Valley also looked like they also had their busiest day.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Well, they opened up new terrain today, right? Same with Alterra Mountain. They are trying to get people to come up.

Able to climb my bike again. Can’t really do downhills yet. Retrieved the shuttle car for my wife and son. Load of people out down here as well. Every where outdoors is pretty packed.
    Last edited by Ottime; 01-09-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Just dropped my girlfriend off to get her second dose of the vaccine, she wanted to stop off at the main entrance at Barton to pick up a new ID badge. While she did that I was parked behind a big truck from Texas. They wheel chair this lady up to the truck. Girlfriend said she had just tested positive for Covid, thanks for spreading the love. Guess they will ride it out in town or drive back to Texas

CHP had the Donner Summit sno park closed down by 9:30 because it was full. I went there a couple times on weekends last year and got there around 9 and the parking lot was totally empty; people could just park on the side road. When I got off the exit, I saw a dude carrying his split board like firewood and about 15 people that were walking to the skin track had their helmet and goggles on, no backpacks. It was kind of mind boggling. I have to wonder how many of those people intended to ski at Boreal, realized they couldn’t buy a ticket on the spot, then said “fuck it” and booted up castle road.

Whatevs, went to mt rose area and had a decent day meandering in the drainages up to relay ridge. On the way back, saw a dude trying to use his touring skis while having his dog on a leash wrapped around his waist

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The soft snow is hanging on in places but the midweek upper 50s are gonna turn things to corn pretty quik. The problem is how long things will last on the south and west faces with rocks already showing through. The biking is sure fun though. Put in some berms after this
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    CHP had the Donner Summit sno park closed down by 9:30 because it was full. I went there a couple times on weekends last year and got there around 9 and the parking lot was totally empty; people could just park on the side road. When I got off the exit, I saw a dude carrying his split board like firewood and about 15 people that were walking to the skin track had their helmet and goggles on, no backpacks. It was kind of mind boggling. I have to wonder how many of those people intended to ski at Boreal, realized they couldn’t buy a ticket on the spot, then said “fuck it” and booted up castle road.

Whatevs, went to mt rose area and had a decent day meandering in the drainages up to relay ridge. On the way back, saw a dude trying to use his touring skis while having his dog on a leash wrapped around his waist

I hope that the enthusiasm will die out by early spring. Once people realize that post-holing in goggles sucks balls and the allure of summer kicks in, maybe gaperpocalypse will subside?

The enthusiasm dies out during early spring every other year so I think you’re good there.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The enthusiasm dies out during early spring every other year so I think you’re good there.
    You know, a lot of people think they'll go away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, they will go away in April. They're going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — they will disappear. We’ll see what happens. Nobody really knows.

But seriously it depends on the pandemic. We're typically super slow now. We were much busier pre Christmas this year than normal. The ski resort enthusiasm may slow down but it seems the town will still be a zoo.

Nobody appeared to get the memo in my neck of the Basin: Hawthorne Suites on 267 was packed, downtown Truckee at 5 pm was packed, and the traffic leaving The Star was slo-mo grid from Highlands to the airport.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Whatever you do.....take care of your business at home and don’t plan on using the snow park bathrooms unless you want to start your tour gagging.....woof!

If someone tells me again that at least the biking is good I just might scream in their face to stfu

Still pow lurking but the winds have really done a number on the alpine zones

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    If someone tells me again that at least the biking is good I just might scream in their face to stfu
    This. Friend said that to me the other day and I asked what the fuck was wrong with him? It’s January, you’re either supposed to be skiing good snow or sit around drinking beer bitching about the forecast.

But then again, you might not.

This. Friend said that to me the other day and I asked what the fuck was wrong with him? It’s January, you’re either supposed to be skiing good snow or sit around drinking beer bitching about the forecast.
    Being unemployed, I have plenty of time for all three. In fact I would argue it's the drinking beer that leads to the bike jumps

Anyone looking for a rather burly (and heavy) backcountry set up locally? Great starter set for an advanced skier looking to get into the bc
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Lake-Tahoe-450

Hey now, I can bike and sit around drinking beer bitching about the forecast. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Anyone looking for a rather burly (and heavy) backcountry set up locally? Great starter set for an advanced skier looking to get into the bc
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Lake-Tahoe-450
    Damn dude. Those look like something I’d drag on my feet. Always thought your gear weighed less. Ya know, cause you always beat me on the uphill.

The dirt is pretty sweet and tacky right now. That is truth. And they are wishing the allowed 1.2 miles of my home.

Surf has been unreal too. Hehe

Anyone have an update on Kirkwood conditions?

Was told bare and crowded. Surface conditions were better today, but unclear what (was there some wind). Long lines every lift except 10. I bet tomorrow is less crowded.

Btw, bare by standards of people who typically ski there and almost no where else. They think a 8’ base can be considered thin for mid winter.

Hey just less competition for whatever’s left good to ski. Btw fat bike conditions are phenomenal right now and it’s a lot easier on my old knees than skiing the variable conditions out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Hey now, I can bike and sit around drinking beer bitching about the forecast. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
    Ha, I know. Just kidding. I left town and played golf today.

Yup skied several quick laps this morning of surprisingly good hotpow below tree line around rose. Holy snowplay this weekend

I had scheduled an overnight tour next weekend that my buddy is bailing on. Both me and the wife are working from home, so I’m still thinking about it just to get out of the house.

Is there enough snow on the west side to make a multi day tour in desolation worthwhile?

Not seeing much coverage down in the eastern Sierra, either. Will probs head as far north as feasible

Looking into Desolation on Jan 1st

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FF16346-E2C7-47F6-A0DB-9E60B98CDD07.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	686.6 KB 
ID:	357255

Old man yells at cloud!!!!.......

Even though the forecast looks like shit (like most junuarys), the skiing this year has been better then average....... in the bc. If i only skied at the resorts I may have even considered busting out my bike
    Deep facets in low angle north trees is the play right now....... Then hopefully some corn by end of week to mix it up till the faucet turns back on
    ........ nobody said it was gonna be easy

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Looking into Desolation on Jan 1st
    thanks bro

Skiing is fun.

This skied surprisingly well on the way out.

Better coverage than it looks.

Hardpack, consistent, edgeable, schralpable fun. (in)stability tests looked solid.

Who doesn't love downclimbing chossy junk? Yay!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!