Page 25 of 226 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    One never knows they are a super spreader until it’s too late.
    Nuff said. That's why you take the precautions.

Saying you might trip in the bathtub so nowhere is safe and you might as well go out driving and touring is just not deep thinking. We evaluate risk and hazard all the time like with avy slopes. In this case, the risk is infecting somebuddy, possibly with lethal outcomes, and also potentially shutting down resorts. I'm probably preaching to the choir since I learned covid from this forum, but you don't tell somebuddy who's worried about a slope sliding that they might get in a car accident on the way home so send it. Just own your choices since you know what truly responsible behavior looks like and what the stakes are. The worst that happens when you stay home is you post too much. We are all asking you to choose wisely.

++++vibes++++ for ICU patients right now.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I saw Squaw opened today. A day early. Do they have allot of on property guests?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Wobbly. My friend tested positive. Absolutely no symptoms through the entire time. Her wife tested negative. They were planning on a thanksgiving trip. Sick friend mostly stayed in her BR. He wife lived in the house. Not sure how much they were masked, but wife slept in separate room. Wife tested negative again five days later. It is a strange disease.

Btw, my friend has no idea how she got it. Wears a mask when she is out. She does jujitsu with one partner at a gym. No one else at the gym tested positive.

My thought is you are slightly more likely than any random joe to be infected. We should all use caution whenever we go out right now. Drive safer, ski safer, live safer. Avoid ever having to require unplanned close contact. Keep some distance. Wear a mask. But keep on making something of what we got.

One of the advantages to ski touring is you can go out solo and stay clear of anyone all day. All depends on where you go and which way you travel.

I understand Hercs concern about mis-informed BC users make poor decisions. These same mis-informed people will make poor decisions wherever they go.

I bet you have just as many super savvy super safe new BC users this year. I was planning to take my kid and wife out to Meadow skip. Sure, they will default to my experience, but I can see other families getting out to play in mellow terrain if/when the lifts stop turning.

Of course, shoulder surgery slows our roll out in the #bcfamilylife world until spring.

Okay, got all that out. Anyone else taking pictures of snow? About to go back to waking my hand up the wall. Go ski and bring back pics.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Quarantine means to maintain a state of isolation. Says nothing about staying at home. For some, quarantining may specifically mean removing oneself from the home. I can't see wobby having a hard time being outside and not coming into contact with anyone.

edit-but again, nevada's rural hospitals are getting crushed. elko county icu is at 143% capacity. In fact, outside of washoe county there were 4 ICU beds left in all of Northern Nevada.
    You're wrong, of course...no going out. Please don't misinform anymore.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The difference is that with quarantine you can interact with people in your home, with isolation you hole up in your room and your family leaves meals at the door, or through the slot in the door, depending on what kind of room it is.
    No, that's wrong too. You do not interact physically with anyone under quarantine.

Wobby, you've been recently exposed, and had symptoms, so please stay home until you have a current, negative, Covid test result. How you feel is not relevant. If it hasn't been 14 days and you do not have a test result, you have a very high risk of infecting others, who may get a lot sicker than you.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As far as going solo BC skiing--yeah there's a risk of exposing someone if you have an accident driving or skiing but it seems to me that the risk is very small considering the risks so many millions of people are exposing others to every day. So let's not be so judgmental.
    ^^^ This. I certainly don’t recommend solo backcountry tours with COVID but let’s be clear here: going to the grocery store with COVID is far worse for community spread than doing a solo backcountry tour.

I think the key is to use common sense, follow CDC guidelines and also understand that we all are going to have sacrifice over the next few months for the common good. If we all do our parts, it will be better for everyone. You don’t have to stop everything because of COVID but you will have to make changes.

And of course, a big thanks to all the health care workers who are the true heros. The best way you can thank them is by doing your part in slowing the spread.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    No, that's wrong too. You do not interact physically with anyone under quarantine.

"Quarantine or isolation: What's the difference?

Quarantine keeps someone who might have been exposed to the virus away from others.

Isolation keeps someone who is infected with the virus away from others, even in their home."
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...uarantine.html

I wonder if you could explain your qualifications. See, I have no qualifications. That's why I quote the CDC. Thank you.
    Last edited by old goat; 11-24-2020 at 07:01 PM.

not taking the bait.

I can read and have common sense, and you don't. Wobby lived with someone who is Covid positive.

Pretty sure we all realize that. That's still no reason he can't leave his house if he stays well away from anyone else.
    ETA we realize the second part. Not sure about your common sense.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Ha! Already took it and there it is for the world to see!
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Just be sure to post up where u go shred wobby.......so we can go elsewhere

not taking the bait.
    Got it. You're just an ordinary shmuck like almost all the rest of us.
    BTW the CDC is finalizing a new recommendation for exposure--7-10 days, plus a negative test. They must be arguing about the final number. No change in the science--they realize nobody is following the 14 days, if they lower it more people will follow it, and given the number of cases if people did follow the recommendation we wouldn't have enough people to keep the lights on and people fed, not to mention people to set the skin track.

Well, if they pick 7 days they’re gonna have to make a new infographic
    Name:  IMG_4342.JPG
Views: 1527
Size:  71.6 KB

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Why is Kate being such a Karen?

Oh shit. Wrong thread. I thought this was one of the 99 covid threads. It ain’t. Someone please go play in the snow.

Someone needs to update that graphic by swapping out Kate for Karen and give her that blonde Karen cut. Doesn’t anyone at the CDC have a sense of humor? It would go viral and be seen by more people.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Someone please go play in the snow.
    Can't right now, sorry.

Is anyone here going skiing?

What's crazy is how mild her symptoms were -like very slight cough and sore throat for maybe 2 days, totally fine now. I don't even think she would have mentioned anything in a normal year with no COVID. She thought she was just being overly paranoid, but decided to get tested anyway. So of course we weren't taking it too seriously, and when her test results came back positive (5 days later mind you) it was a bit of a surprise
    Wobby, your post got me curious. From all directions (the news, posts on TGR, etc) we are bombarded with the message that plenty of people esp younger people get Covid with mild or no symptoms...which has been a central factor in widespread transmission. So IME anyway it’s creating borderline paranoia whenever people have cold symptoms. Yet you were surprised by what happened with your roommate? And felt comfortable carpooling etc?

I’m not calling you out, just curious. I wonder how careful / paranoid I’d have been in your shoes.

If they are roommates, I assume they share a common space and kitchen and are essentially a cohort. I would carpool with my wife and son. But if one of them tests positive, they are going into the garage for 4 weeks. Just in case.

Snow anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    ] I’m not calling you out, just curious. I wonder how careful / paranoid I’d have been in your shoes.
    Well, since stay at home and house isolation have been a big thing lately, I've been basically taking the opportunity to have only 2 friends (hint: my house has three bedrooms). So yeah it didn't really make sense to not carpool together, since we all share the same common rooms and have in fact been hanging out, cooking/eating dinner together, and generally being around only each other. We also all agreed that there was no point in trying some stupid 1-roommate isolates type of thing, and then staggering/drawing out the process (or guessing about it) for longer than it needed to take for all of us to get it.

If you are wondering why we weren't more careful, let me tell you this: you would not have thought anything of her symptoms. I know people who cough more in any given week, just from hitting the bong a couple times. What are we supposed to do, live in constant fear because you went out in the cold and your nose was running? Because you were coughing after a long/hard run? Because you had a headache for one day?

Her symptoms were literally so mild that we thought it could have been any number of other factors, and most likely nothing at all. I think thats the real reason this disease spreads so easily.

What led her to get tested?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

My patience is being tested by all of the COVID banter so posting something different. The soft opening at Alpine was very good yesterday, considering it's mid November. Not very busy. Today was the opposite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	696.3 KB 
ID:	349736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	696.3 KB 
ID:	349736
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Is anyone here going skiing?
    Lots of people out skiing. The usual BC parking lots have been full but the snow has been pretty meh. Too many people at the heave for my comfort so we skinned up to the top of gondi. They’re making snow up high so I’m guessing closure is not imminent.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0F1EBA0-4128-474E-96C3-6AD41D393BF2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	591.6 KB 
ID:	349737

I split some rounds last night and might do some more today. Got littles set on their xc and alpine boots a few days ago. Not skiing but winter related.