Page 190 of 226 FirstFirst ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,750 of 5635
    The more I look at this map, the more I feel the worst has passed. They have a lot of fighting to do around echo/xmas/meyers, but the head seems headed into high meadows and really just running out of dense fuels. One more day of strong westerlies, which is better than southerly.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Damn, the line they've been able to hold here so far is pretty incredible considering the wind...

Attachment 384212
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

The wind direction is aiding them greatly as is the fact that the neighborhoods are packed onto the bottom of the hills and Fire wants to go up. That’s why upper Kingsbury is such a problem if it goes that way

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Damn, the line they've been able to hold here so far is pretty incredible considering the wind...

Attachment 384212
    Yes, and the wind direction may actually help SLT today. Max wind gusts forecast for 5 pm today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (88).jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	475.8 KB 
ID:	384217

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't get the idea of "herding" the fire. I get trying to hold a line south of SLT but it's not like that makes the fire go in a different direction. The fire can go in every direction at once if there's not a line, can't it? Or is it missing SLT (for now) because of the terrain and wind direction, not so much firefighting efforts.
    I get the impression they've come to the conclusion that taking this thing head-on just isn't realistic with the wind, so trimming the margins and holding the side lines and squeezing it is the best strategy. Kind of like a bend but don't break defense. It'll be interesting to hear the details from EasternSierraSkier once things calm down.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

^^^^ That is the way I heard it. Like you herd cattle. They will run every which way, but if you flank their sides, they will run in the direction of momentum. Instead of trying to create fire breaks to stop the head of the firestorm, create breaks parallel to the flanks, to try to keep the fire moving in a more desired direction. I guess, print it from speeding from the sides and allow the front to move.

Vibes, ya'll.

Looking like spring in Lassen might be in jeopardy.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

My uncle's house is at xxxx South Lake Tahoe, CA. He was evacuated on Sunday. It appears that he still has a house, but spot fires are getting very close. Does anybody have any beta on this immediate area? It is blocks away from the Tahoe Airport. Thanks.
    Last edited by wolfelot; 09-01-2021 at 01:36 PM.

I guess my point is that the fire is going to go in the direction it seems to be pointing regardless of whether they defend the sides or not, as well as spreading to the sides. In a herd of cattle there's a fixed number of animals, they can go one way or another but not both. A fire can go as many ways as it wants. don't bother answering--it's a stupid and meaningless argument I raised and obviously I don't know anything about the subject.

It's going to be wild to see how the post fire flooding effects these areas. Some places may be completely uninhabitable for many years to come. If areas above the lake are burning that tahoe blue may not be so blue anymore as well.

We have serious flooding issues here in Flagstaff from the 2019 Museum burn scar. That fire was only 1900 acres.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

^^ So much depends on the steepness as well as the soil composition. For example, after 2017 in Sonoma we really didn't have any flooding issues related to the burnt terrain, but you may remember Santa Barbara / Montecito had those massive mudslides. But I don't see anything like that happening in Tahoe due to lots of rock and granite and compact soil in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    My uncle's house is at 963 Onnontioga Street, South Lake Tahoe, CA. He was evacuated on Sunday. It appears that he still has a house, but spot fires are getting very close. Does anybody have any beta on this immediate area? It is blocks away from the Tahoe Airport. Thanks.
    Keep in mind some of those little spots on arcgis / caltopo / etc. are sometimes false positives where the heat throws off the satellite readings a bit. And the ones closest to the house in question are older (i.e. yellow not red) so that's encouraging. Definitely not out of the woods yet, however, especially if the winds shift, but they aren't forecasting in that direction for the time being.

Keep in mind some of those little spots on arcgis / caltopo / etc. are sometimes false positives where the heat throws off the satellite readings a bit. And the ones closest to the house in question are older (i.e. yellow not red) so that's encouraging. Definitely not out of the woods yet, however, especially if the winds shift, but they aren't forecasting in that direction for the time being.
    Zeke Lunder Twitter post basically saying to ignore the satellite mapping:

https://mobile.twitter.com/wildland_...04068632432660

Want to know if a new fire has started out in the forrest? Satellite can do that. Want to know if fire is just inside or just outside a residential area? Satellite can’t do that.

My uncle's house is at 963 Onnontioga Street, South Lake Tahoe, CA. He was evacuated on Sunday. It appears that he still has a house, but spot fires are getting very close. Does anybody have any beta on this immediate area? It is blocks away from the Tahoe Airport. Thanks.
    I have been watching abc10 videos on YouTube. Yesterday they were driving around neighborhoods. What we saw were lots of fire crews place all through the streets as spot fires popped up they were putting them out quickly
    Seems protecting property is a priority. There doing a good job. No houses lost so far
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

^^ So much depends on the steepness as well as the soil composition. For example, after 2017 in Sonoma we really didn't have any flooding issues related to the burnt terrain, but you may remember Santa Barbara / Montecito had those massive mudslides. But I don't see anything like that happening in Tahoe due to lots of rock and granite and compact soil in the mix.

I think fire intensity is the biggest factor for post fire flooding. A hot fire makes the soil super hydrophobic, it creates like an eggshell on the surface and a whole lot of sheet flow. But yeah, it's all the unknown for now.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Side rant:

Hey dumbfucks, see those big closed signs you just rode past, and the one that you had to duck around as you went around the closed locked fucking gate at the base of the 6??!?

They apply to you and your mtb friends, and your dogs too. You are not some special exemption.
    Closed is fucking closed.

Oh, are you local? Are you "cool" so you won't start a fire or get hurt? Doesn't fucking matter.

I'm pretty sure you parked your cars down at the dead end of thelin @ silver fir, you know, the first gen grey 4runner with the top off ( I appreciate the rig) so as to avoid parking in the still accessable first lot of the 6. Why? Is there something you're trying to hide about your exceptionalism and freedom to go into the closed forest??

Also, as one who DOES live in the area ( see, I was walking my dog too, on the streets of my neighborhood, avoiding what is almost my back yard of the closed area)
    please kindly drive elsewhere to a non closed area and kindly FUCK off from the 6 for now.

Too bad I was too far away to talk to you after you rode up thelin and ducked into the 6.

Also, if I was 100% certain you came out of that 4runner, I would have left a kind neighborly note and collected your valve stem cores.

What is the 6?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I guess my point is that the fire is going to go in the direction it seems to be pointing regardless of whether they defend the sides or not, as well as spreading to the sides. In a herd of cattle there's a fixed number of animals, they can go one way or another but not both. A fire can go as many ways as it wants. don't bother answering--it's a stupid and meaningless argument I raised and obviously I don't know anything about the subject.
    This. Defending the flanks of the fire only works if the wind is blowing where you want. If the wind was out of the south in order to defend the neighborhoods they would have defend the head of the fire. That would be incredibly bad because the new head of the fire would be something like 20 miles across and would run up both sides of the lake after going through town

Why in the world would you break the closure to ride fucking sawtooth

Sorry, Truckee peeps know.
    Official name is now "sawtooth national recreation area" I guess by the signs that went up this year
    6 is the name of the forest road that runs from Truckee to Tahoe city parallel to 89 up above the Truckee river to the east.
    It is part of the great race xc race and home to tons of mtb trails

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post
    Well, big chief is up there too...

not a lot of hiking, climbing and MTB riding that isn't closed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post
    Because Big Chief, Deer Creek and some other trails on the other side of Sawtooth (i.e. Happy Face) are pretty fun? Not excusing violating the closure, however.

Fire seems mostly calm today. When the Heavenly IR cam scans SLT, I don't see any fire. Maybe there's some low fire south near Trimmer, but could be granite. Satellite IR and visible smoke indicate most action is near Wright's Lake. Still some smoke coming up in American river canyon. Also smoke on 88 and especially near KW, though very little heat. Could be minor SLT smoke hidden under the Wright's Lake smoke. Wildfire cams show cumulus building over Wrights Lake. Also fire south of Heavenly. That may get interesting as the strongest winds will be down the escarpment into Nevada.

Helis are active near KW and Wrights. Sounds like they may add tankers at Wrights and move the helis into the American River area.

Tentatively positive?

Because Big Chief and some other trails on the other side of Sawtooth (i.e. Happy Face) are pretty fun? Not excusing violating the closure, however.
    I’d wager their ride is on strava too

Morning breezes have all been light and northerly so really helping the fight around SLT. That's about to change tho with the zephyr coming up.

My uncle's house is at XXXX Street, South Lake Tahoe, CA. He was evacuated on Sunday. It appears that he still has a house, but spot fires are getting very close. Does anybody have any beta on this immediate area? It is blocks away from the Tahoe Airport. Thanks.
    If you haven't found it already you may find this useful...

El Dorado County Sheriff's Office, in collaboration with CAL FIRE has released a map of properties damaged and destroyed by the Caldor Fire within El Dorado County. View the Online Structure Damage Map. This process is NOT complete and is ongoing. Please do NOT call the Sheriff's Office for additional information.

https://www.edcgov.us/Pages/Caldor-Fire.aspx

And, on a lighter note...

Nature Abhors a Vacuum!