Page 125 of 226 FirstFirst ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 5635
    I would say the Eastward flow is very strong

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Buddy of mine with SAR got a ride from south lake in this bad boy for a rescue on Mt. Tom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53D25BAE-414E-47A0-A7AA-103C37D1FD67.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	318.2 KB 
ID:	367099
    https://www.mammothtimes.com/content...LCUMMPrnuLLXyo

Low angle life but the low angle life is still deep

Name:	IMG_5423.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	367109

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Placer is now red tier, Nevada county still purple. The change is based on increased vaccinations, not on improvement in other stats.

Pleasantly surprised by cloud cover and zero people at Meiss this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Buddy of mine with SAR got a ride from south lake in this bad boy for a rescue on Mt. Tom.

Damn near half the rotary wing platforms in the state showed up.

What trips me out about that picture is how close the top rotor appears to be to the back rotor. Probably an illusion.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

https://sierrawave.net/update-on-mt-...randed-hikers/

Two nights out including one with no overnight gear, up over 10k. Too windy for even the chinook, and it was not warm earlier this week. Glad everyone made it out.

Took at before 8:15 advice. I usually ski here mid week. Insanity. Upper lots looking pretty filled. A little further from Subway than I like, as we have to cross some pavement. Better than searching for spots at 11:15 and circling the lots.

Is this the new normal or has it always been like this up here?

I’m feeling old and missing (my imagined better) the old days.

Snow feels nice. Kid is stoked. All is well.

I'd expect all AM lots except Deer Park to fill by 10AM Saturday normally. Given the best conditions of a very dry season I don't think what you found is unusual. It's been that way for at least 10-15 years on a high demand Saturday. The cause is two-fold--demand of course, and competition. Lots fill by 10, so people come earlier, lots fill by 9, so people come earlier. Give it a few more years and people will be driving to the resorts the night before and sleeping in their cars. Same number of people, but you get a cycle where everyone comes earlier and earlier to get a spot.

Storm supposed to hit tomorrow afternoon. The trip from SVAM to SF should be epic, or impossible. Smart people will leave before the storm.
    I have to pickup a kid in Reno tomorrow evening. Getting to Truckee should be fun, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    https://sierrawave.net/update-on-mt-...randed-hikers/

Two nights out including one with no overnight gear, up over 10k. Too windy for even the chinook, and it was not warm earlier this week. Glad everyone made it out.
    SAR team turned around and the husband's kept going. Crazy, and badass dedication for sure.

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'd expect all AM lots except Deer Park to fill by 10AM Saturday normally. Given the best conditions of a very dry season I don't think what you found is unusual. It's been that way for at least 10-15 years on a high demand Saturday. The cause is two-fold--demand of course, and competition. Lots fill by 10, so people come earlier, lots fill by 9, so people come earlier. Give it a few more years and people will be driving to the resorts the night before and sleeping in their cars. Same number of people, but you get a cycle where everyone comes earlier and earlier to get a spot.

Storm supposed to hit tomorrow afternoon. The trip from SVAM to SF should be epic, or impossible. Smart people will leave before the storm.
    I have to pickup a kid in Reno tomorrow evening. Getting to Truckee should be fun, if possible.
    ^^^This. I fully expect some the vans being sold right now showing up at Squaw and Alpine on powder days in the future. Climate change will only make things worse with snow levels rising and “storms of the century” becoming more common.

From yesterday

Last edited by powdork; 03-13-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Trimmer was fantastic this AM - lot was empty at 8am and somehow only saw two other people during our whole outing.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Oh I have no basis. I’ve only been here on a weekend in March once before and that was maybe 15 years ago. Fwiw that was better conditions and less crowded. Broke my leg that day.

We had fun. My kid had his first high T and lived it. But is worked. Crowded, but seemed east enough to avoid the wrong lifts. Only went up summit once and that was our longest wait at under 10 minutes. Rarely in line for more than 3-5 minutes and rolled right on to a few yellow and Lakeview.

He made sure we skied every lift.

Do I dare go next door tomorrow?

Doom and Gloom on 80? We will leave tonight.

You don't get up here that often. If it was me in your position I would stick around and ski and accept the shitshow getting home. And the shitshow may not happen--storm peters out or everyone else leaves early. Now that I'm retired and live up here I stay home on the weekends for the most part, but when I had to ski weekends I dealt with it. Personal best is 5 hours from Squaw to Donner Lake (but only 3 more to Sac.) And your kid won't be a kid forever.

I do think parking has been more of an issue this year--a lot of people coming in separate cars. I'm always surprised that the lifts aren't as crowded as the parking lots. Even Silverado wasn't intolerable on the first day open after a week of snow.

There's also a Truckee thing. You go to a restaurant or store--the parking lot is full, no one inside. Happens all over town. I haven't figured it out. I've asked one or two people who've been here longer, they don't know either. I don't see people sleeping in the cars. I do know that some people meet at a parking lot and then drive together to Reno to shop or whatever. I've done that myself but it can't be the whole answer.

Placer is now red tier, Nevada county still purple. The change is based on increased vaccinations, not on improvement in other stats.
    Also, moving the goalposts. Don't forget the politicians' tricks.
    By the original metric, Placer is still purple - more than 7 cases per 100k.

This is what you're trying to say. Your chance of catching Covid is the same as before. All that changed is the states color code.

Start of snow is slated for 5-9pm do you shouldn't have to leave super early. Maybe spread the rumor that people should leave early tho, in order to spread out the rush. It's gonna be a quick shot of snow that comes in hot. You could probably keep an eye on the radar to gauge your departure time.

In other news, it looks like you can renew ion passes now and get an $80 discount. I deferred my pass so it turns into a 21/22 pass on April 12th that I can use the rest of the year.

New pass prices have gone up $100 once again
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

In case anyone was wondering, both Alpine and Squaw were very busy today, as in top 3 for the season? The town of Truckee is nucking futs.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Also, moving the goalposts. Don't forget the politicians' tricks.
    By the original metric, Placer is still purple - more than 7 cases per 100k.

This is what you're trying to say. Your chance of catching Covid is the same as before. All that changed is the states color code.
    I believe the theory is that enough high risk people have been vaccinated that the hospitals won't be overwhelmed by the next surge.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Start of snow is slated for 5-9pm do you shouldn't have to leave super early. Maybe spread the rumor that people should leave early tho, in order to spread out the rush. It's gonna be a quick shot of snow that comes in hot. You could probably keep an eye on the radar to gauge your departure time.

In other news, it looks like you can renew ion passes now and get an $80 discount. I deferred my pass so it turns into a 21/22 pass on April 12th that I can use the rest of the year.

$100 renewal discount for the full pass. That $100 price hike will make some people happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    SAR team turned around and the husband's kept going. Crazy, and badass dedication for sure.

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk
    Cardinal rule in rescue situations is to not create additional victims. SAR turned back. Could have gone bad for hubbys. That said, love is blind.

When the ikon folks hatched, their plan, what do you think they wanted to get for the pass price after locking in loyal customers with cheap passes for the first few years? $1000? $1500?

Also, what are folks waxing with this time of year? I feel like I always do red but it's gonna be a cold storm tomorrow and then a warm up afterwards. I mostly just want to avoid base balling.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

You don't have to worry. Opening day is April 1.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post

Pretty sure you only get credit for what you paid for your 20/21, can't use that credit until 4/19, and it's not a renewal. I'm in the same boat, so definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh shit. I was being sarcastic. East coast thing. I’m not leaving. Will park by 8 ski early and hard and the kid will be done by 2:30.

I still expect 80 to suck but what ever. We planned this w/e weeks ago and can’t get back out for two weeks. Saw the new snow and figured there would be crowds.

AM lot easier party today. Lots of spring break action.