Page 16 of 226 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Let's see how many more posts we can get about people complaining about $5 in service charges for a $25 season pass....in return for plowing parking lots all winter long. dafuq?

You guys ever tried to park at Ruby or some of the East Shore spots in the winter? I'd pay extra for a sno-park.

That said...inconvenience and shipping fees are annoying af. Just charge $50, roll it into the price, plow more lots, and nobody will complain about the gub-mint again.... Right?

ETA: forgot that, due to various anti-tax initiatives (Prop 26, etc.), regulatory fees like parking permits must be directly linked to the services provided. Which means the inconvenience and shipping fees are probably required by that law to be separated from the cost of the permit. So...my idea fails. Guess who supported Prop 26? Howard Jarvis. And now here we are hating on the gub-mint. Mission Accomplished, Howie!!
    sproing!

Y’all should just revolt and walk to the TH. Don’t give these governments of any state your money. Stand up.

Apologies if this has been posted already, but this is a list of CA/NV ski resorts, with opening dates if known and whether day-tickets are online purchase only (in nearly all cases it is):

https://skicalifornia.org/covid19/

XC resorts aren't included, but I got an email from Royal Gorge XC saying that they're advance online purchase only as well (and I'm guessing TDXC the same).

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    You guys ever tried to park at Ruby or some of the East Shore spots in the winter? I'd pay extra for a sno-park.
    Finding a spot near Herlan is a joke. Next time I'm just going to hitch there from Incline

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    I can be a curmudgeon about increased traffic in the backcountry but lets be real. In a "normal" season it's the experienced users that typically get in avalanche troubles. Closing the main areas that have plenty of available public information for new users to educate themselves is just asking for an increase in accidents. They'll just drive to the next pullout where they see cars and go somewhere blindly which is an even worse situation and it puts pressure on the lesser known spots. Best thing to do this year is to be open with discussing backcountry etiquette with folks, maybe speak up kindly if you see someone making a bad decision, and try to avoid the main zones during peak days. That being said, I give myself until the third time passing someone blasting music from bluetooth speaker up the skintrack until I start spewing profanities...
    These are good points but I think that this season may be different. You are right that usually the more experienced backcountry skiers get caught in avalanches but we never had a season were resorts were closed, avy classes were unavailable and people are itching to ski.

Also, avalanches are not the only danger in the backcountry. Getting injured in the backcountry requires a big rescue effort as does searching for those who get lost or don’t come back. Seeing snow parks full of cars with backcountry skiers suiting up is a recipe for disaster for that resort skier who bought all or some his gear but never went out in the backcountry. I mean with everyone hitting the backcountry how dangerous can it really be?

And I want to be clear, if you can responsibly learn the backcountry this year I am fine with that. My concern is that resort skiers who want to ski but have never done backcountry will want to go out not because they want to learn the backcountry but because they want ski. Their knowledge of the backcountry comes from ski movies and magazines where they see skiers shredding the gnar but don’t see all the prep work that goes into backcountry skiing. For those skiers making access a bit harder may discourage them. It always amazes me that even for seasoned backcountry skiers a bit of an approach will keep them away.
    Last edited by hercule33; 11-19-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    XC resorts aren't included, but I got an email from Royal Gorge XC saying that they're advance online purchase only as well (and I'm guessing TDXC the same).
    Can confirm TDXC is requiring online pre-purchase of tickets/rentals/lessons.

Full-on breakable crust in my backyard at 6400...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

This backcountry issue is one of the many issues why resorts opening with safe protocols is crucial for Tahoe (and probably most mountain areas) this winter. Taking this current shoulder season as an example, if you dont give people outdoor options, they will resort to making poor choices. Not being able to go to a movie, do indoor dining, and having limited shopping activities means people will be bored. They will head out into the backcountry without proper gear or training, they will set up impromptu sled hills in the most inappropriate places, invite the neighborhood over for party after party, and go to church.

I'm hoping that local resorts are willing to spin lifts and serve everything outdoors, with minimal indoor spaces available. Encouraging people to hang out in their car is a good viable option for lunch at least at the Ghettos and The Place Formerly Known As...unless you get there late and are parked at Deer Park. People who really want to ski and ride should go to the mountain and leave grandma at the cabin rather than in the lodge. Want to watch football? Do it at the cabin. Want to not cook? Support local restaurants and order curbside pickup.

The thing that will really fuck this plan up is if the resistance to reality continues and we end up on double secret probation and resorts are forced to close...or if Tahoe Forest is loaded up so full that they can't take ski injuries. I'm just pushing every I believe button I can find that says we can make its through this season...until we can't.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

What G2A said x 11 (cause Nigel T would want it that way)

Muddafukkaz What?
    Mask up and respect the snow
    Some of us need work
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Reminder - #WeAin'tGoingBackWhereWeCameFrom

"The head of the World Food Program says the Nobel Peace Prize has given the U.N. agency a spotlight and megaphone to warn world leaders that next year is going to be worse than this year, and without billions of dollars “we are going to have famines of biblical proportions in 2021.”

Buy some pasta and rice!

I bought some NEW skis today, so you see I am still an optimist at heart, but choosing to live my life as a realist.

Good Luck Working from Home - Service Industry

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iven-away.html
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Gov. Gavin Newsom has ordered a curfew for all California counties in the purple tier. The curfew will affect 41 of the state’s 58 counties — a vast majority of the population.

The curfew, which the state is calling a “limited Stay at Home Order,” will be in effect from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. starting Saturday.

The restrictions between those hours will be similar to the stay-at-home order that was in effect in March. That means all non-essential work, movement and gatherings will have to stop in all purple tier counties.

The curfew is set to remain in effect until Dec. 21 at 5 a.m.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...ome-order.aspx

Nothing in this order prevents any number of persons from the same household from leaving their residence, lodging, or temporary accommodation, as long as they do not engage in any interaction with (or otherwise gather with) any number of persons from any other household, except as specifically permitted herein.
    Sounds like solo dawn patrol travels are still a go.

Met some splitboarders today. Stayed >10 ft from them, honest. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9D7507E-E64E-46A3-83E5-082AC84BCB99.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	348796

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post

And I wouldn't expect any enforcement unless someone calls to complain about the party next door. And then maybe.
    Enforcement of anything in Truckee is random and often complaint driven. One year they were ticketing people parked on the ROW near the old thrift shop during the winter, even though it was a clear day and no plows were out. But they'll ignore people parked along DPR that the plows have to go around.

Statistically speaking, all of this pearl clutching over backcountry recreation is a little ridiculous. I was too lazy to put that into a proper haiku, apologies. Driving your vehicle outside of your neighborhood is far more likely to consume hospital resources... because math.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Enforcement of anything in Truckee is random and often complaint driven.
    An old story but ... just after the Town was incorporated and a new police force instituted they had the bright idea of zero-tolerance parking policy enforcement on a Sunday morning. The sermon ran long. Locals were p!ssed.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Statistically speaking, all of this pearl clutching over backcountry recreation is a little ridiculous. I was too lazy to put that into a proper haiku, apologies. Driving your vehicle outside of your neighborhood is far more likely to consume hospital resources... because math.
    No...don't you have to deal with Northwoods Blvd? Thats the shittiest of all shit shows...
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Perhaps but this is a ski forum where I don’t think it’s appropriate to remind folks to wear masks, physically distance, wash hands and not to throw large indoor parties. All of these will have a far greater effect on COVID than anything related to backcountry skiing.

That being said we all must make sacrifices for COVID so we can get back to normal. The state can mandate whether resorts open or how they open but the backcountry is up to us. This isn’t about pearl clutching the backcountry. Trust me, I and plenty of others here can find plenty of empty spots outside the usual suspects that I now avoid like the plague. This is about everyone doing their part and having a mentality of sacrifice so we can get back to normal. If everyone focused on what they can do to help COVID instead of pointing fingers than we would be far better off.

I won’t tell people how to spend Thanksgiving on this forum but responsible skiing, including backcountry, is fair game.

Backcountry today
    Snow above seventy five k
    Was pretty damn good
    Edit: don't know why
    It's potato quality
    Anyway it's stoke
    Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post

Well dawn is after 5am these days, so you can still meet up with a partner.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Met some splitboarders today. Stayed >10 ft from them, honest. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9D7507E-E64E-46A3-83E5-082AC84BCB99.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	348796
    This is what this thread needs more of.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    You get the interim permit with Cali too. Remember if you buy Oregon you are taking money away from the snopark progrram and it could go away. Oregon trucks don't plow the lots.
    Why California just can’t send them out like normal to local retailers that would like to sell them instead of shipping them all to New Jersey so some out of state company can charge $5 for sending a slip of paper in the mail is beyond me, fuck em.

Meanwhile, I’m a little less grumpy today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    No...don't you have to deal with Northwoods Blvd? Thats the shittiest of all shit shows...
    It is. I’m right near Alder Creek so usually go out the back way to 89. Especially on a powder day.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    From the California Vehicle Code #35715 ...

"(a) The County of Nevada may by ordinance prohibit the use of Northwoods Boulevard in such county by any commercial vehicle exceeding a gross weight specified in the ordinance.(b) No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be effective with respect to:
    (1) Any commercial vehicle coming from an unrestricted highway having ingress and egress by direct route to and from the restricted highway when necessary for the purpose of making pickups or deliveries of goods, wares, and merchandise from or to any building or structure located on the restricted highway or for the purpose of delivering materials to be used in the actual and bona fide repair, alteration, remodeling, or construction of any building or structure upon the restricted highway for which a building permit has previously been obtained.

(2) The operation of ambulances or hearses.

(3) Any vehicle owned, operated, controlled, or used by a public utility in connection with the construction, installation, operation, maintenance, or repair of any public utility facilities."

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Why California just can’t send them out like normal to local retailers that would like to sell them instead of shipping them all to New Jersey so some out of state company can charge $5 for sending a slip of paper in the mail is beyond me, fuck em.

Meanwhile, I’m a little less grumpy today
    Honestly I agree it's a money grab. they were probably charging vendors less than 25 and now they're keeping the majority of the shipping and handling. But they haven't raised the price in at least 23 years and it's pretty much best value in skiing anywhere. Who knows maybe they're not allowed to raise the price by statute or agreement with the other states so they went this BS route
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.