Page 108 of 226 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 5635
    Yep, Alpenglow. We were really happy with our intro tour in December (but we had Dave Nettles in December who I hear is kind of a Tahoe guru). Yesterday it was Tram Ridge with repeat laps but headed up Shirley Canyon initially before repeating. We did end up skiing the bowl to the left at the end of the tour - there was already an older, smaller slide in it when we first showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Janky - guessing you guys went with Alpenglow?

Repeat laps on that far side beyond Tram face or did you guys head up Shirley Canyon straight away? Nat geo bowl?

Nope but I might head out to AM in a bit to see what's up and get exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Anyone been up on Mt. Rose Hwy today? Wondering if it has been snaining or not....

I know this gets asked a lot, but employees move around and things change occasionally.

Bootfitter recs? Especially for work on touring boots.

Sounds like Sports hub, Start haus, and Olympic have been good in the past? Specific people? Need a bunion punch that I'm sure anyone could do, but also considering biting the bullet on custom footbeds...

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    I know this gets asked a lot, but employees move around and things change occasionally.

Sounds like Sports hub, Start haus, and Olympic have been good in the past? Specific people? Need a bunion punch that I'm sure anyone could do, but also considering biting the bullet on custom footbeds...

I’ve had good luck with Gunner at Granite Chief. Dudes been at it for a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Buck and...Mike? I think, at Olympic, hooked me up this fall fitting me into 0gtps which are not a natural shape for my foot. They feel great after they spent a few hours with me on them. It’s nice to know too that you can schedule time with Buck either at the original location or at the newer one by Heavenly.

I have difficult feet and was pretty happy with my recent fitting at Tahoe Sports Hub. Andrew (who did mine) and Corey both have good reps. Did custom footbeds as well.

And yeah, I've heard good things about Gunner at GC.

My 2 cents on boots: Buck at Olympic Boot works is good for inbounds boots. But request Buck when you go to Olympic Boot works. We love Start Haus for tuning, skis and especially race ski knowledge. But I wouldn't recommend them for boot fittings. They are used to fitting boots for ski racers and definitely prefer the tighter side. I recently bought a pair of touring boots in January from Tahoe Sports Hub and was very happy with the fitter (can't remember his name, older gentleman who has been doing it for years) and the boots/fit.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Yep, Alpenglow. We were really happy with our intro tour in December (but we had Dave Nettles in December who I hear is kind of a Tahoe guru). Yesterday it was Tram Ridge with repeat laps but headed up Shirley Canyon initially before repeating. We did end up skiing the bowl to the left at the end of the tour - there was already an older, smaller slide in it when we first showed up.
    Yeah nettle is the man.......lots of first ascents in the eastern Sierra and Tahoe.
    Was Jules your guide?

A few mediocre shots from a stellar yesterday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2994.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	363130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	363131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3055.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	480.2 KB 
ID:	363132
    Hiking for the roy today

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	363133

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    ^^^
    This mentality is no bueno. Da fuck? Everybody can shoot it in 4k now. Is this going to be a thing?
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Fuuuuuuuuuahhhhhk!!! Not sure what's scarier - seeing your LZ turning into a river of snow or noticing that the river is bunching up in the terrain trap. Glad he's ok. Great vid.

Hey on the boot fitter topic- never done it. How pricy is it? I have Mortons neuroma and love my new (wider boots+Metatarsal pad), but was thinking about widening my older pair so I have 2 usable pair. Already took volume out of the liner.

Some pics from friday:

Name:	20210212_083334_2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	769.7 KB 
ID:	363161

Name:	20210212_111908_2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	818.0 KB 
ID:	363162

Great vid powdork. Also Jeb Mchardman - outstanding pics from a day or two ago.

^ Honest comment here. Maybe I'm just ultra conservative when things are considerable and above but this is the exact terrain that reports said to steer clear from. What's the thought process?

Bob at Sports Hub. Hella OG. Used to own Elite Feet.

Phil at Blue Zone. He is super part-time, though, so call and see when he is in.

Jason at Best Fit.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    ^ Honest comment here. Maybe I'm just ultra conservative when things are considerable and above but this is the exact terrain that reports said to steer clear from. What's the thought process?
    "This will look so rad on the 'Gram, bro!"
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

That footage is pretty crazy. NakedShorts - what's the problem here specifically with the filming? Just curious what you're getting at.

In somewhat related news, this is sad all the way around but not a fan of suing ski resorts. https://www.sierrasun.com/news/tahoe...e-last-season/

Two days before this I got flushed down the looker's left chute of the face at Alpine... released on the same layer but only about 8-10 inches of snow on top. I knew it was a possibility when I went there. Obviously patrol does all that they can to mitigate, but shit happens.

That footage is pretty crazy. NakedShorts - what's the problem here specifically with the filming? Just curious what you're getting at.

In somewhat related news, this is sad all the way around but not a fan of suing ski resorts. https://www.sierrasun.com/news/tahoe...e-last-season/
    I think it's more the posting and glorifying than the filming. I was fine with the filming myself but the second pic all smiles bothered me. Gives the impression there is no downside.
    And on the lawsuit front. Depends. If he has permanent life altering injuries and is just looking for a settlement so he can actually have a life I'm ok with it. But it's just as likely there's a PIP lawyer behind him egging him on for the maximum and fuck lawyers but more fuck realtors
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

So IG is where to post avalanche reports now. Am I missing it on SAC. Because the idea to post a "cool vid" on IG without any information is piss poor, if I'm understanding the situation.

Two days before this I got flushed down the looker's left chute of the face at Alpine... released on the same layer but only about 8-10 inches of snow on top. I knew it was a possibility when I went there. Obviously patrol does all that they can to mitigate, but shit happens.
    So according to the lawyers any place that is bombed and doesn't slide is a failure of avalanche control. Obviously this is going nowhere but it sucks--and I don't care what Bloom's injuries are. It's very sad for both of them but unless there is some actual evidence that AM knew it was unsafe and opened it anyway they're not responsible for caring for Mr. Bloom for life. That's not an area that there's any pressure to open--it's pretty rarely skied.

Fuck people that sue ski resorts..... especially for what they deem improper avalanche mitigation.... sigh
    I guarantee the snow safety team at alpine were crushed and have already become more conservative as a result of that tragedy
    ......and yeah ......fuck lawyers too who probably convinced victims fam to file

Glad he's OK. Don't think I'd be throwing 3's into steep faces on a Considerable day but that's just me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Glad he's OK. Don't think I'd be throwing 3's into steep faces on a Considerable day but that's just me I guess.
    Depends on the considerable day. The motus operandi is just to automatically go to considerable here the day after a storm so the rating really means nothing. Also it fractured before he left the ground so I don't think it's fair to blame the slide on the rotation in the air.

I only throw backflips when it’s considerable. No rotations.

But obviously there is something to be said about dropping cliffs and the likelihood of that impact triggering something (in this case it was before he even took off so moot point of course).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

it's been proven you can't get hurt doing a backflip

RE: Bootfitters

Another vote for Buck at Olympic. Though not ski boot related, also a vote for Gunner at Granite Chief. He hooked up a buddy and I on molding some mountaineering boot liners before Denali.

I’ve witnessed people “manage” a similar hazard before going big it was impressive to watch. That’s not how it was done. :P