Page 109 of 226 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 5635
    I feel like that kinda proves my point that there's little difference between considerable and extreme when it comes to decision making. Any con/high/ext day has terrain where skier-triggered slides are likely and can bury you. This goofy fuck is super lucky with the way that pile swelled, crested, and crashed over him. F that mentality of surviving it means smile and brag. Didn't even report to SAC. Only putting that out today instead of Friday when it happened is weak sauce if you are really trying to alert people to the danger.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Yes! Jules was our guide yesterday, also really awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Yeah nettle is the man.......lots of first ascents in the eastern Sierra and Tahoe.
    Was Jules your guide?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I only throw backflips when it’s considerable. No rotations.

But obviously there is something to be said about dropping cliffs and the likelihood of that impact triggering something (in this case it was before he even took off so moot point of course).
    You kind of answered your own question. I thought the first rule of avalanche safety was not causing avalanches. (Rollover ✔️, steep face ✔️, go Huck myself right into the slide zone ✔️) Many people will die if this is the game plan for a day of fun in the back country.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Yes! Jules was our guide yesterday, also really awesome.
    Jules is a good guy, for a split-boarder. ;-) He was one of the instructors several years ago when I got my avy 1. Very patient... we had a few people in that group who you could tell had never even skied off a groomer before. It was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    You kind of answered your own question. I thought the first rule of avalanche safety was not causing avalanches. (Rollover ✔️, steep face ✔️, go Huck myself right into the slide zone ✔️) Many people will die if this is the game plan for a day of fun in the back country.
    It's been the game plan for fun days in the backcountry for many years, and will continue to be for many years specifically because it is so fun.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    Attachment 363026
    Some Great Basin dreaming
    thx for the beta...might have to go hit it

Whats the situation on rubicon parking this season? Ticketing at the water tank? People parking down by the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Whats the situation on rubicon parking this season? Ticketing at the water tank? People parking down by the lake?
    Sounds dodgy, as usual, although hearing conflicting stories of sheriff telling people to tear up their tickets and homeowner zealously calling the cops. Rumor has it TBA is trying to get gate opened and plow parking behind it. Until then, there is a legal spot on the right before the gate. It will squeeze two vehicles side by side unless the twatwaffle with the silver Tacoma parks in the middle of it like a fartface. He's usually there very early so either get there earlier or try your luck parking to the side. Also feel free to leave him a note that says "if I got here before you, you would still have a parking spot."
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Sounds dodgy, as usual, although hearing conflicting stories of sheriff telling people to tear up their tickets and homeowner zealously calling the cops. Rumor has it TBA is trying to get gate opened and plow parking behind it. Until then, there is a legal spot on the right before the gate. It will squeeze two vehicles side by side unless the twatwaffle with the silver Tacoma parks in the middle of it like a fartface. He's usually there very early so either get there earlier or try your luck parking to the side. Also feel free to leave him a note that says "if I got here before you, you would still have a parking spot."
    Second that, seems to depend on the Sheriff responding, the mood of the homeowner, and how recent after a storm cycle. I parked down on the the hwy a couple times this season a few days post storm and didn't get any tickets. YMMV.

Yes, we were outnumbered by split boards last Sunday, including Jules. Our first guided trip in December with Nettles, there was a guy who had snowboarded 5 times. Holy cow, the other guide that was with us got back to the trailhead at Pole Creek at 6pm. We got back at 5pm as it was. He couldn't ride powder at all. We were lucky we had a great group last Sunday that were all good in deep pow.

Jules is a good guy, for a split-boarder. ;-) He was one of the instructors several years ago when I got my avy 1. Very patient... we had a few people in that group who you could tell had never even skied off a groomer before. It was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I feel like that kinda proves my point that there's little difference between considerable and extreme when it comes to decision making. Any con/high/ext day has terrain where skier-triggered slides are likely and can bury you. This goofy fuck is super lucky with the way that pile swelled, crested, and crashed over him. F that mentality of surviving it means smile and brag. Didn't even report to SAC. Only putting that out today instead of Friday when it happened is weak sauce if you are really trying to alert people to the danger.
    Have you been reading what SAC has been posting on Facebook lately? No ratings just very detailed observations. I like it.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Yes, we were outnumbered by split boards last Sunday, including Jules. Our first guided trip in December with Nettles, there was a guy who had snowboarded 5 times. Holy cow, the other guide that was with us got back to the trailhead at Pole Creek at 6pm. We got back at 5pm as it was. He couldn't ride powder at all. We were lucky we had a great group last Sunday that were all good in deep pow.
    Had Jules for my avy 1 as well last year, he was a lot of fun. On our last day, we ended up having to navigate across a bulletproof rain crust, none of us had crampons so had to boot across it. I was barely able to get one corner of my toe into the crust, and it was pretty frightening going across a slope where I knew a fall would be at least 50 ft slide on ice, but after we got through it I thought it was pretty sweet to be doing mildly techy stuff during a level 1. Plus, after all of us struggling a bit, Jules went through the additional effort of using a shovel to cut out a path for us to walk on. He was great.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    thx for the beta...might have to go hit it
    Wobby! Was hoping you’d see this. Schell Creeks and Egans looked much more filled in than the park. Had a clearish drive yesterday, and the toiyabes are looking quite filled in, at least in the guts of the range. I could pm you some pics (pics from the road) and some more details if you’d like later today.

That footage is pretty crazy. NakedShorts - what's the problem here specifically with the filming? Just curious what you're getting at.

In somewhat related news, this is sad all the way around but not a fan of suing ski resorts. https://www.sierrasun.com/news/tahoe...e-last-season/

Two days before this I got flushed down the looker's left chute of the face at Alpine... released on the same layer but only about 8-10 inches of snow on top. I knew it was a possibility when I went there. Obviously patrol does all that they can to mitigate, but shit happens.
    Wow! Sad indeed. I saw this as it happened. Saw 2 skiers roll in from the top and then avalanche broke above them near the cliff/rocks - I think the person who died was below these guys and was overtaken from above. My friends and I had just skied promised land and before that Scott chute. Conditions felt sketchy and we had literally just discussed the possibility of in bounds slides and then this happened. Needless to say, we shut things down very quickly and stayed on “safe terrain”.

Weird part was that we yelled at people from the lift as it seemed nobody else had seen it and then it took me 40 minutes until I could find a patroller so I could give them details of what I saw.

The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Weird part was that we yelled at people from the lift as it seemed nobody else had seen it and then it took me 40 minutes until I could find a patroller so I could give them details of what I saw.
    Put the patrol dispatcher numbers in your phone: https://www.squawalpine.com/footer/m...afety-policies

Tour #1 today near CP had remarkably bad conditions:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F96BAE1C-543B-4939-8598-CD1E2EC64145.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	950.9 KB 
ID:	363276

Tour #2 had decent cold shallow pow conditions above 8500 ft on E and NE aspects. Below 8500’ was breakable crust, and not the fun kind.

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post
    Put the patrol dispatcher numbers in your phone: https://www.squawalpine.com/footer/m...afety-policies
    Let's put these on page 1

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

My good friend, who is unbelievably upbeat about all conditions, even when I'd consider it terrible, called me from near Kirkwood in the backcountry today and said that it was worse than could even be imagined. "Ball bearings on top of the worst breakable crust ever". At least the groomers were "sheets of ice".

Your photo is a great illustration.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Anyone get out near Mt. Rose today? Curious how that zone faired. It was raining pretty much all day near CP yesterday, so I'm not surprised by that brutal pic

^^^^^ Damn, never saw anything like that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Anyone get out near Mt. Rose today? Curious how that zone faired. It was raining pretty much all day near CP yesterday, so I'm not surprised by that brutal pic
    Heading out there in a half hour or so. A friend who was out there earlier reported a couple inches of soft on top of a non-crust base with slop down low

Beware ski skate week. I thought maybe it wouldn't happen because all season has been ski-skate season. I was wrong.

I went out yesterday afternoon. The wind has done a number in exposed areas. Higher density and a little grabby snow about 2-4in above a crust in east-southeast aspects yesterday. Sheltered north areas held a little soft snow still with some pockets of thin higher density wind slabs. Overall it was still fun and supportable snow, not bulletproof or breakable crust. Not sure how it changed overnight and through the day today.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    I was on Scott Chair as that went down, saw the cloud, and then heard yelling. I called Patrol immediately...as the number is in my contacts. Just driving up AM road that day and seeing many naturals, I knew it was a "play it safe" kind of day.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

I found similar conditions on High T today at Alpine. It required careful line choice. Fortunately the crust was pretty supportive at that elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

Tour #2 had decent cold shallow pow conditions above 8500 ft on E and NE aspects. Below 8500’ was breakable crust, and not the fun kind.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com