Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    some stoke, please!
    run tres, tres bien
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3412-preview.jpg 
Views:	1395 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	361092

Not that anyone cares, but a fun science note re: "Greenhoused pow". This term is a misnomer for the exact same reason that the "greenhouse effect" of global warming is not actually correct to say (see great discussion in the book "Clouds in a Glass of Beer").

The first order function of a greenhouse is to trap heat by inhibiting convective (turbulent) mixing, not by absorbing and re-radiating longwave (LW) energy back to the surface, which is what clouds, trees, and water vapor (or other 'greenhouse' gases) do. This absorption and re-radiation result in warming of the snow (or troposphere). If your greenhouse windows allow shortwave radiation to pass through but are more opaque to longwave radiation, then this term would work, but it is still a second order function of the greenhouse with respect to the windows being open or closed under normal circumstances. Of course, in the mountains, we have all the processes going on, turbulent mixing, radiation, rocks, trees, slopes, etc. Not that I have a better term or phrase, other than "snow's fahkd by the Ldub!" We got majorly hosed by this last year on Maggies with clouds and high RH, hudge roller balls and evil sludge on N aspects in mid Jan while friends on the n shore had clear skies and blower pow. doh!

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    I look at photos of long lines and think "fuck that". With the Covids out there I may need to just pass on this season unless I get a few shots real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Bailed on cp plans this am cuz wind/windslab......friends went to tallac instead but I opted to just stay local and hit heave slack...... but upper lifts all on windhold.....doh!
    At least the winds aren’t from the east/ne......yet.......sigh
    There was major wind slab at Alterra Mountain Resort this morning. I counted 23 fracture lines, on all aspects - 7 or 8 on Tower 16 (SE), Slot, Hogsback, North Bowl, Kitchen Wall - there were many.

Careful out there in the BC peeple!!
    sproing!

Wow, reading that SF Gate article brought on PTSD from last weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    heh, we should all be grateful skiing is even there to be complained about this year, this is a perspective offered by MashedPotatoes. The fact that it's one of the few things going during the pandemic certainly compounds the problem along with all the other factors. Made the local news..

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/editor...d-15915557.php

Alright, I was def driving the political stuff so here's a short vid from Saturday. I haven't been getting into anything very steep at all, persistent problem has had me sketched out. Skis I have are built for cruising deep/creamy snow though so it's still been fun out there.

Some fun country club pow days at SB last week. During the weekend, SB seemed to be managing the crowds ok, and when the lift lines got too busy for my taste, solitude and soft turns were found in the side country if willing to break trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

That early evening moisture plus the wind really did a number on the snow overnight. Definitely some patches of survival skiing at Squaw today, at least lower down (didn't have time to go up top). After going nearly bell to bell yesterday and tiring out my legs, I could barely ski through the steeper manky / styrofoam spots, but was comforted by the amount of carnage going on around me. Got easier once it was fully chopped up, but didn't stick around for long.

Name:	Image1612391759.728277.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	361120
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    There was major wind slab at Alterra Mountain Resort this morning. I counted 23 fracture lines, on all aspects - 7 or 8 on Tower 16 (SE), Slot, Hogsback, North Bowl, Kitchen Wall - there were many.

Careful out there in the BC peeple!!
    Several at Alterra South.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    That early evening moisture plus the wind really did a number on the snow overnight. Definitely some patches of survival skiing at Squaw today, at least lower down (didn't have time to go up top). After going nearly bell to bell yesterday and tiring out my legs, I could barely ski through the steeper manky / styrofoam spots, but was comforted by the amount of carnage going on around me. Got easier once it was fully chopped up, but didn't stick around for long.
    Granite chief opened noon-ish, was fun, but definitely not blower. Parking lot mostly full, surprising for a Wednesday. Good turns on hogsback/headwall face later in the day - was getting refilled by the wind blowing over the ridge.

What is the status of buying a day ticket if you have pass to another ski hill that had mtn collective mtn half price tix as part of the pass?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Pretty much the same report from Schralpine Ghettos
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post
    run tres, tres bien

Name:	IMG_3412-preview.jpg 
Views:	1395 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	361092

Not that anyone cares, but a fun science note re: "Greenhoused pow". This term is a misnomer for the exact same reason that the "greenhouse effect" of global warming is not actually correct to say (see great discussion in the book "Clouds in a Glass of Beer").

The first order function of a greenhouse is to trap heat by inhibiting convective (turbulent) mixing, not by absorbing and re-radiating longwave (LW) energy back to the surface, which is what clouds, trees, and water vapor (or other 'greenhouse' gases) do. This absorption and re-radiation result in warming of the snow (or troposphere). If your greenhouse windows allow shortwave radiation to pass through but are more opaque to longwave radiation, then this term would work, but it is still a second order function of the greenhouse with respect to the windows being open or closed under normal circumstances. Of course, in the mountains, we have all the processes going on, turbulent mixing, radiation, rocks, trees, slopes, etc. Not that I have a better term or phrase, other than "snow's fahkd by the Ldub!" We got majorly hosed by this last year on Maggies with clouds and high RH, hudge roller balls and evil sludge on N aspects in mid Jan while friends on the n shore had clear skies and blower pow. doh!
    How about "hotboxed pow"?? Kinda like the car with the windows rolled up...everything that comes out feels like sludge.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    What is the status of buying a day ticket if you have pass to another ski hill that had mtn collective mtn half price tix as part of the pass?
    I assume it has to be done online
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Huh, i had one of my best days of the year today bell to bell on KT. To each his own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by guermo View Post
    Huh, i had one of my best days of the year today bell to bell on KT. To each his own I guess.
    I didn’t have time to wait in the KT line so opted for Oly Lady. Curious where specifically you were skiing off KT? One of your best days of the year, really? After the last 2 weeks?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Pretty windslabby at Sierra this morning as well. There was some good cream cheese in a few areas of wind sheltered trees, but plenty of leg breaker snow elsewhere. Surprisingly busy for a Wednesday. Fast pass for the win.

If you squint, you can see me having inbounds fun this past weekend

I didn’t have time to wait in the KT line so opted for Oly Lady. Curious where specifically you were skiing off KT? One of your best days of the year, really? After the last 2 weeks?
    Yeah I really really enjoyed it. Great day with friends and great snow.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Especially the it got better the more it was skied. Scott Chute was great around 3pm. I take what I can get. Had a lot of fun out there today especially when everyone left around 11am.

That's the thing about breakable wind crust--it gets better when it gets skied. I've skied crust so nasty that the best skiing was on avy runouts. Wonder if the snow will dry out tonight--or freeze?

SRBSRH was interesting yesterday between 1:30 and 4.
    About 11 vehicles parked between the 4 "lots", yet didn't see a soul on the slope the whole time until we made our exit.
    It was foggy and windy; the fog droplets froze to our goggles.
    Snow was variable, running the gamut from wind scoured at the top of Donner Ridge, to breakable crust, to youthful Sierra cement.
    It was thigh deep in places.
    No visible or audible signs of sliding, though we steered clear of the open bowl area that has slid in the past.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Which one of you let waze get you stuck in the snow for a week?

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...es-snow-sierra

Honestly sounds nice other than the embarrassment of needing to be rescued. Hopefully he gave a fake name.

Name:	IMG_2638.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	361216

It was pretty crusty on the east shore this morning. Still skiable, for sure, but you could definitely feel the crust. If you found the right line, there were some good pockets of wind blown that were still skiing well.

Views were nice, slight wind coming in from the east. SO pow dork for pointing out this great pre-work spot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Which one of you let waze get you stuck in the snow for a week?

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...es-snow-sierra

Honestly sounds nice other than the embarrassment of needing to be rescued. Hopefully he gave a fake name.
    I wish the reporter could give a little more commentary. It must look extra kooky to somebuddy in L.A.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

y'all see the Synchronized Jumping effort yesterday?

Name:  jumpers - 2.jpeg
Views: 676
Size:  75.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	jumpers - 1.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	615.1 KB 
ID:	361224