Page 219 of 226 FirstFirst ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 5635
    There are rights worth fighting for, like housing and voting. Safety is also valid. I am again involved with a woman trying to secure their house and possibly move away bc a stalker ex is harassing and threatening them and their kids. If your struggle is about being able to walk your dog somewhere you want to, well... that must be nice. I'm also all for disobeying stupid rules when you are sure your actions harm no one (see: 3am red lights when nobuddy's around). If you spray it on the netz, be prepared for others to critique your behavior.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

I have no problem with anyone critiquing my behavior and I couldn't care less what YOU consider worth fighting for.

The dog walking thing was when LTBMU closed everything within the basin regardless of any threat.
    For instance this east shore beach, and yes it was closed at the time of this pic and I was being a good boy playing disc in the county park across the street. Where's your rage for them and all the people they were hurting?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0833.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	387602
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Might need to zoom a bit.

Attachment 387591
    Thanks.

That’s a fun map!

PD, you could easily just go do your thing and keep your trap shut. There's some kind of exhibitionist fetish at work here. NTTAWWT. I just prefer the look-at-me stuff to involve sweet bouldering and skiing pics -which I expect you to provide solely on my asking. Go ahead tho with your pity parade for being oppressed by having your hike complicated by closures.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

But how is keeping my trap shut going to exert any pressure on them to allow access to our public lands. I have no intention of letting any of the three foresters involved think they can close the forests at their will. I have no intention of letting them think they can just throw up an extra closed sign on a road that isn't within any of their defined closure areas because they want to. Every time they do this it becomes easier the next time and it's already become so easy that they are enacting blanket closures at an unprecedented rate. All they have to do is make an effort to allow for recreation on our lands.

It's not like I'm asking them to open the forests just for me. If that was the case I would just say nothing, cause that's how it is right now.

CALDOR FIRE CLOSURE BOUNDARIES WILL BE ADJUSTED AS CONDITIONS CHANGE - The boundaries of the Caldor Fire Closure, Forest Order 03-21-18 will be adjusted to reflect changing fire conditions and other hazards associated with the fire area. The closure area is expected to become smaller as fire containment increases and the forest receives rain and snow. Removal of hazard trees and suppression repair activities are also factors in whether an area can be opened. The boundaries of the Caldor Fire Closure could change several times before it is set to expire next March.

“For example, we have no intent of keeping Kirkwood closed for skiing once there is adequate precipitation on the ground,” said Forest Supervisor Jeff Marsolais. “Currently there is still a fire threat due to extremely dry unburned fuel within and near the Caldor Fire perimeter, and interior burning that continues.”

September and October have historically had some of the largest fire runs on the Eldorado National Forest associated with strong wind events at this time of year. Unburned vegetation would easily be ignited by embers. Needles that have fallen from burned trees have also created a highly flammable layer within the Caldor Fire area.

Many recreational opportunities have opened for day use such as the Rock Creek Trails on the Georgetown District; the Loon Lake Boat Ramp and Picnic Area on the Pacific District; and many others. Please check the forest website to plan your visit. There you will find links for Roads and Trails Status and Recreation Facility Status.

The public is reminded that no overnight camping and no fires are currently allowed on the Eldorado National Forest under the following forest orders:

Forest Order 03-21-17 – Camping Prohibition
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd957209.pdf

Forest Order 03-21-16 – Enhanced Fire Restrictions
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd957208.pdf

These camping and fire prohibitions will also be reevaluated as conditions change.

###

Caldor Fire Closure, Forest Order 03-21-18
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd957250.pdf
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Judging from his allcaps reactionary FB post he is feeling pressure. Doubt it's from me though.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Judging from his allcaps reactionary FB post he is feeling pressure. Doubt it's from me though.
    Who?

To be fair, while I always assumed they'd be making adjustments to the closure boundaries over time (no way in hell would they not allow Kirkwood to open, duh), it would have been smart to come out and say that when they first announced the restrictions.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I think that putting March 31 as the stated end of the closure is ridiculous if they plan on opening some areas sooner. They should have left it open ended with no date and have been clearer about the fact that they would be lifting closures as soon as the ground is covered in snow.
    While I support your actions pd…….posting that shit on the interwebz is not a good idea and only opens yourself up to prosecution. Monkeywrenchers don’t advertise and I advise you do the same

…….beat me to it…….doh!

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Who?
    Jeff Marsolais. I would also point out his quote about large runs in September and October in Eldorado NF is BS. The order came out September 30 so including September means nothing, and there have been zero large fire runs in October.

edit-unless you meant 'who' is exerting the pressure, in which case I would say Kirkwood, both from Vail and even moreso from Kirkwood passholders. I would imagine there were some fairly intense messages sent.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Thanks for applying pressure. Public lands managers are closing access too often for imagined hazards, hazards no worse than the everyday hazards. Fire is a natural phenomenon. Like any other, it creates hazards. Also like any other, visitors can adapt. There's no need to close lands for snow, ice, cold rain, fast rivers, cliffs, hot sun, animals, floods, falling rocks, fumeroles, dead trees, sunburn, drowning, lightning, etc. The post-fire landscape's hazards are of the same scale as any natural hazard, and no justification for closure.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

"Reactionary" forest manager doesn't make any sense. Closing the forests bc people should be in church or something??? Women's lib is starting all these wildfires? I don't get it.

If you want to get him to change the closure order, you either need a bunch of people or are extracting $omething from the forest. Good luck just defiantly removing signs and posting about entering closed areas.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I think that putting March 31 as the stated end of the closure is ridiculous if they plan on opening some areas sooner. They should have left it open ended with no date and have been clearer about the fact that they would be lifting closures as soon as the ground is covered in snow.
    While I support your actions pd…….posting that shit on the interwebz is not a good idea and only opens yourself up to prosecution. Monkeywrenchers don’t advertise and I advise you do the same
    While I agree to some point, I do want it to atrract their attention I don't think there's anything up here except me saying I went to a place, found it was closed and went somewhere else. Unless they can arrest me for saying I'm planning to violate a closure. Is this what the new Matrix movie is about?

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Thanks for applying pressure. Public lands managers are closing access too often for imagined hazards, hazards no worse than the everyday hazards. Fire is a natural phenomenon. Like any other, it creates hazards. Also like any other, visitors can adapt. There's no need to close lands for snow, ice, cold rain, fast rivers, cliffs, hot sun, animals, floods, falling rocks, fumeroles, dead trees, sunburn, drowning, lightning, etc. The post-fire landscape's hazards are of the same scale as any natural hazard, and no justification for closure.
    I agree. But I'm not even talking about that. The closure orders, as they stood this morning (Some of the stuff up north by Loon Lake and west by Georgetown has now reopened) were 5 times the size of the fire's footprint. Lots of other stuff has been quietly closed without being part of the order (Sawmill Pond area, Red Lake Vista, etc.). It's BS

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    "Reactionary" forest manager doesn't make any sense. Closing the forests bc people should be in church or something??? Women's lib is starting all these wildfires? I don't get it.
    Apparently I have been using that word wrong my entire life. Grammarist says I should have used reactive.

Palisades Tahoe?

Kind of impressive that no ones invoked Nazis yet in the forrest closure argument. Maybe TGR is more high-brow than I thought

or even racists

I don’t know what the right answer is and I’m sympathetic to the difficult task the land managers have in front of them.

But the extent of the closures also don’t make sense to me and I’m grateful to PD and other folks pushing back.

Yea it’s a first-world problem, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth action.

"Pushing back" is calling USFS or organizing letter writing or protest campaigns.

Tearing down signage and parking barriers and then posting about it on a ski forum as though you're some kind of Hayduke is throwing a tantrum. USFS rangers who have to clean up that mess will: 1) have no idea that it was a "message"; 2) have no power to change anything anyway.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    "Pushing back" is calling USFS or organizing letter writing or protest campaigns.

Tearing down signage and parking barriers and then posting about it on a ski forum as though you're some kind of Hayduke is throwing a tantrum. USFS rangers who have to clean up that mess will: 1) have no idea that it was a "message"; 2) have no power to change anything anyway.
    In the first place, a USFS employee is going to have to clean up the mess regardless. Now there is just less to clean up.

In the second place, what makes you think I haven't written letters? What makes you think I haven't contacted the Acess Fund and Advocates for the West.

Thirdly, a protest campaign is exactly what this is. Sorry you can't see that.

Gandhi, MalcolmX, MLK, powdork. Yep, checks out

Missed you yesterday at the Rally for Roe in Truckee, PD. Did you go to a different one or just letting your daughters sort that out themselves?

And yes, you can do both. This forum isn't the place to spray about protecting reproductive healthcare but it is the spot for bringing attention to access issues. I just hope you are focusing on effectiveness. If your posts were an attempt to recruit me and others to your side so we can combine to put pressure on the FS, well... I guess I didn't pick up on that.