Page 69 of 226 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 5635
    I was told by some 4-wheel folx that uphill yields to downhill because uphill has more control. Obvious not quite the same for a cycle to get going again as a jeep, but sometimes that's definitely a consideration, probably mostly on trails where going up is hard bordering on futile.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

The kind way to ride is to pull over and wave through the downhill rider so-as not to interrupt the flow of the fun part of the ride..... and Its a chance to get to take some extra breaths taboot

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I was told by some 4-wheel folx that uphill yields to downhill because uphill has more control. Obvious not quite the same for a cycle to get going again as a jeep, but sometimes that's definitely a consideration, probably mostly on trails where going up is hard bordering on futile.
    I do some offroading from time to time and my understanding has always been the person descending yields to the person ascending. This is what's always posted at trailheads, but of course it situational to some degree. It's way easier to lose control backing down a technical slope than it is to back up it.

Nstar was horrid today except where they groomed and made snow which was actually pretty fun. Nice day out, crowds minimal, stayed cold and firm.

The 12-year old altitude sensitive still puked darnit but was able to recover this time and finish out the day feeling good thankfully.

All this arguing about mtn biking reminded me that I needed to ask ya'll a question about mountain biking (maybe we can funnel this rage to productive ends?): I run a sunglasses brand called Sunski and we're designing a biking-specific 'fast glass': think high-wrap, high vis frames that stay in place when you crash off the trail. They're launching 2022 and I have a few last questions best left to you experts.

[And before you ask, yes, obviously we have a pro deal for local mags: 40% off with JONGLOVE. I recommend the Treeline glacier glasses while we all wait for the snow.]

Anyways, I would really appreciate some feedback, anything you have a strong opinion on is super helpful:
    - what do you think is a good price for shades like this? (how much did you pay for your current pair?)
    - do you ever use or care about photochromatic lenses? (changes tint / darkens as you move from shade to sun)
    - do you have a lens material preference? (PC? TAC?). We like using TAC because it's super lightweight, but PC is stronger when it comes to smacking your face)
    - anything else you think about when buying shades like this?

Cool and thank you. As we all know, our opinion is the only one that matters.

(renderings of the new style, below)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senna_-one-pager.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	358621

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    The kind way to ride is to pull over and wave through the downhill rider so-as not to interrupt the flow of the fun part of the ride..... and Its a chance to get to take some extra breaths taboot
    +1

We need more directional trails.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    Nstar was horrid today except where they groomed and made snow which was actually pretty fun. Nice day out, crowds minimal, stayed cold and firm.

The 12-year old altitude sensitive still puked darnit but was able to recover this time and finish out the day feeling good thankfully.
    Does that bottle of oxygen from 7-11 help?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Does that bottle of oxygen from 7-11 help?
    no way I did not know that was a thing, I will do some research and probably give it a try if it seems like it might really help.. Thanks!

Well shit, the car is washed, can't put out the lawn furniture because of the damn wind, might as well talk sunglasses for biking. I'm a big fan of riding in hardware store safety glasses, gotta have the ANSI Z87 rating because I don't want to chance it with rocks getting kicked up by tires or low hanging branches, so maybe that should factor into your lens choice. I try to take care of my glasses within reason, and most pairs will last a year or two, but since they're cheap it's not a big deal if they eventually break or get scratched, as they all do. Haven't tried photochromatic, though it seems like a good idea going in and out of the shade. I'd pay a bit of a premium for that and some style over hardware store cheapos, but I have a hard time justifying more than $50-60 for any shades, as there is just no benefit other than cool points. I do kinda like the style of the one you got there.
    For fucks sake, please let it snow.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

How fast does the photochromatic effect take. When you're going fast in and out of shadows anything but instantaneous would likely make things worse or at best have no effect.

edit- I also found the the first sentence a bit disconcerting. Seems like for a brand named Sunskis they should ALL be 'performance sport sunglasses' or at least you shouldn't be bragging these are the first.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

From the KOLO 8 FB page. Kirkwood getting blown up with NE winds tonight. Gusts over 172 mph and sustained winds of 130 mph.

Name:	3D2C17C1-06BE-463C-9E34-742543BA6A82.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	648.6 KB 
ID:	358631

Yeah, The Star has been "character building" all week.

no way I did not know that was a thing, I will do some research and probably give it a try if it seems like it might really help.. Thanks!
    Totally a thing. Last time I went to CO, dude I drove out with had to buy 02 at Safeway as he was having trouble with the altitude.
    The canisters look like small fire extinguishers and others look like airhorns.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    How fast does the photochromatic effect take. When you're going fast in and out of shadows anything but instantaneous would likely make things worse or at best have no effect.
    Trail shadows are why I switched to mountain biking with a rose tint years ago - I don't use darker tint sunglasses unless out in full desert sun, or on road bikes. The rose tint is enough in sunny sections of trail, while still letting me see in the shadows.

Last couple of sunglasses have been Smith with interchange lenses, so I'm using whatever they call their rose tint. I really like polarized lenses for everything else, especially driving.

I'm not the target audience for new styles in eyewear though. I think all the big one piece sunglasses I see people wearing on the trail are fugly - look like a mix of giant ski goggles and 80s Oakley Blades.

Damn it needs to snow. A lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    All this arguing about mtn biking reminded me that I needed to ask ya'll a question about mountain biking (maybe we can funnel this rage to productive ends?): I run a sunglasses brand called Sunski and we're designing a biking-specific 'fast glass': think high-wrap, high vis frames that stay in place when you crash off the trail. They're launching 2022 and I have a few last questions best left to you experts.

[And before you ask, yes, obviously we have a pro deal for local mags: 40% off with JONGLOVE. I recommend the Treeline glacier glasses while we all wait for the snow.]

Anyways, I would really appreciate some feedback, anything you have a strong opinion on is super helpful:
    - what do you think is a good price for shades like this? (how much did you pay for your current pair?)
    - do you ever use or care about photochromatic lenses? (changes tint / darkens as you move from shade to sun)
    - do you have a lens material preference? (PC? TAC?). We like using TAC because it's super lightweight, but PC is stronger when it comes to smacking your face)
    - anything else you think about when buying shades like this?

Cool and thank you. As we all know, our opinion is the only one that matters.

(renderings of the new style, below)

Name:	Senna_-one-pager.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	358621
    I bought some Julbo Fury’s w photochromatic lenses for big money this past year. Almost immediately I learned about “Rokbros” and a slew of other knock-off brands that advertise via instagram and now I realize I could have spent way less ($30 - $40) for some mtb glasses w those same lenses. That is to say they have become quite ubiquitous. I like them.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutter View Post
    I bought some Julbo Fury’s w photochromatic lenses for big money this past year. Almost immediately I learned about “Rokbros” and a slew of other knock-off brands that advertise via instagram and now I realize I could have spent way less ($30 - $40) for some mtb glasses w those same lenses. That is to say they have become quite ubiquitous. I like them.
    I also fell for Julbo's 0-3 photochromic tint claims. It's BS. They work ok for biking, but when the temp is below 40F they just go full dark and stay there, even at night. My GF also has them, with the same results.

The Rockbros are pretty good. They don't go quite dark enough for full sun road riding, but I use them for mtb if there are a lot of trees around. The lens is actually concave top to bottom, but it doesn't distort.

Photochromic, for me, seems to be for when I'm not sure whether it will be sunny. If I know it will be cloudy, rose tint is the way to go. Rose isn't dark enough for me in full sun, even if I'm in and out of trees.

Mostly I reach for some old Smith Pivlock Max that I'm keeping alive. The giant wrap-around lens a looks ludicrous, of course, but they protect my eyes from everything and don't slip. 6 hours into a ride I give zero fucks about what my glasses look like to others. IMO there is no beating the huge one piece lens for function.

For me I'd say the priorities are: clarity, wind/sun protection (largely a function of size), weight/stability, and scratch resistance. Somewhere way behind would be looks.

I would happily pay $200 for glasses that work as well as the Pivlocks but are more scratch resistant. That said, with the advent of the Rockbros, the price point to beat has moved way down.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    +1

We need more directional trails.
    That's my favorite part about the trails in Ottime's backyard, they're pretty much all directional (doesn't stop the occasional person from being clueless). It removes so much conflict from the trails. When I am on a multi-directional trail I have just started yielding to everyone and everything. The recent influx of users has lead to many clueless people and I would rather just stop my ride and let them by then have to deal with it. That said, my routine this summer was riding directional trails, pedaling from the trailhead at 6am. So I think the max amount of people I saw on any one ride was like 4 or 5.

Talking

Now that we've solved the direction issue for MTB trails, maybe we can work on driving in the right direction exiting the Alpine Meadows parking lot.

Just want to put in a good word for those SunSki treeline glasses. I use them for touring on bright days and have been very happy - glare guards on the side are nice and still no fogging issues.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Now that we've solved the direction issue for MTB trails, maybe we can work on driving in the right direction exiting the Alpine Meadows parking lot.
    You'll have to clarify...?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Assuming he is talking about where the parking lot merges back into the access road. There are those parking spaces on the drivers left while exiting that have a clear line painted on the road. When they are empty, people drive to the right/left of this line. Except it's actually not the lane marker, its the parking space marker. When the road meets the lot drivers exiting on the right side of the line are actually in the lane of the access road heading into the resort. I did it once.

As far as the sunski treelines, all my friends in Jackson swear by them. I haven't used them yet.

Thanks a ton all.

Photochromo is pretty slow, takes a few minutes to transition so if you're whipping in and out of shadow it's not going to work super well it sounds like.

Hear loud and clear on the lens strength, glad to know we're prioritizing "will my eyes survive today?"

Rockbros are a great callout. We're definitely not going to be able to get into the $20 price range, we've got some rubber co-molding and mold complexity to make them light and comfy that would put these in likely the $60-$80 price range. We prioritize comfort and build quality above all else because life is short and it sucks balls to be pushing your shades back up your face all ride.

(this isn't our first sport style, but is the first time we've done something specific for cycling which has a ton of posture implications - like the bent-forward-looking-up stance needs a bunch of nuance in the design so you're not looking through the glasses top crossbar and ensuring fit stays good when gravity is pulling away from your face instead of down onto the nosebridge.)

Thanks mondo much for the feedback, really

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I wonder how the percentages work out betwwen the two passes in regards to those that have full versions. Seems Kirkwood and Heavenly are never crowded during blackout days.
    This year the Blackout dates have been BUSY. Never in my life have I seen so many GAPERS at the Wood. Snow was pretty beat up and is fading quickly. Played golf on Monday as it is starting to feel like a chore going to the resort. If it doesn't snow in the next few weeks my bet is the resorts will pull the plug for lack of snow (otherwise known as $).
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

At least the biking has been good...

Name:	DD4389A0-F68E-4F57-B09F-6E7B2278D445.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	358670

^^^^ your definition of good looks questionable...... but at least fat tire mtn bikes actually have a legit use now

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Thanks a ton all.

Photochromo is pretty slow, takes a few minutes to transition so if you're whipping in and out of shadow it's not going to work super well it sounds like.
    No that would be fine too if it settles on whatever helps in the shadows. I was worried it would constantly be changing back and forth but always be slightly behind or in between.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Just want to put in a good word for those SunSki treeline glasses. I use them for touring on bright days and have been very happy - glare guards on the side are nice and still no fogging issues.

No big deal--just every once in a while someone tries to exit the entry lane that goes past the equipment yard towards the lodge on lookers right of the main lot instead of going all the way around, or tries to enter the exit lane on lookers left . It's not actually a concern of mine, just something to write as I sit here trying to keep my house from blowing away. And I can't say either of them is marked particularly well, if at all.

I've tried julbo photochrome lenses--not nearly quick enough for skiing, or maybe it's the temp that's the problem. But I didn't really get them for skiing.