Page 149 of 226 FirstFirst ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 5635

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    ^^ when did those s-turn trenches become a thing anyway? I tried the one on Monte Wolf at Kirkwood and couldn't control my speed enough to hang.
    Ah, yes, "the wiggle" (or "waggle", depending on who you talk to).

I am with you. To me they are 1. A young person's game 2. A boarders jam 3. Best for short, narrow, turny skis (though I attempted one on my 165 slaloms and had to bail after 3 turns, so I defer again to #'s 1 and 2).

I dunno how it is at other mountains, but at The Star they are usually created by the team's kids and their coaches or boarders...And they are usually always on the same run, specifically "Sidewinder" and "Jibboom."

Was hoping for a bit more serious take, like some history, but:
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/...pass%20through.

A slightly more focused/well-written piece on "the wiggle":
    https://www.powder.com/keep-your-tip...ackson-wiggle/

It really is about speed and transitioning into the turn quicker (literally making the new turn before you have even finished the previous one)...
    Last edited by dookey67; 04-26-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Kirkweed was worth a few laps today.
    It was a fun day, albeit a bit warm.

Didn't find the bottom on every turn, but I definitely found the bottom.

wiggles are super fun in the right terrain. There was one going down the Gold Coast lift line about 4 springs ago that was drawn perfect. I actually tried to go as fast as possible and use the berms to keep speed. My kid loved it and we probably skied it four or five times in a row. Best thing was, halfway down there was a marmot who kept poking his head out the hole to watch the spectacle.

The one on Montes the past few years is too steep and gets too fast too quickly. Better to build one off chair 4. Those ones in Shirley Bowl are pushing it and it is a job to complete them.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Kirkweed was worth a few laps today.
    Just a couple few laps huh? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210426_215907282.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	372837

^^^^ Whoah..... glad I didn’t go over to that side

First inbounds kwood day of the year....... never ridden a wiggle but did follow a track today that climbed one..... likewise fro!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7222.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	372848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7365.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	372849

Name:	IMG_7234.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	372850

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Yeah those wiggles are legit and harder than they look. I did the Shirley one in that photo today but caught it with soft snow and that definitely made it easier.

Not sure when that trend started but certainly more common than they used to be. There was a pretty good one going in Wolverine Bowl at Alpine several weeks back. Pretty steep for a wiggle.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Sweet day til the evil giver of life wrecked havoc on the snow.
    Some nice looking turns on ebackClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8324.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	372856

And on the humpName:  GPTempDownload.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  110.9 KB

Then up to frog lakeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	372858

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	802.1 KB 
ID:	372859

To give the Oxford comma its technical definition, it is a comma used before the final conjunction in a list of three or more itemsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8325.JPG 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	372860

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

that’s not a moon
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

California death orb

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

After all that cold bottomless snow at Kwood yesterday for those that worked the right aspects , took the easy option of hiking there today. Windy AF from NE & E, so ch 10 was $$$.

Name:	50374853-AF9A-4A3D-94BD-3E3B0B6BD165.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	372894

Mtn biking after lunch…#tahoelifeyo

^^ does that explain the lack of track etiquette? On Monday we watched a party of jabroneys appear at the top of glove rock then proceed to slip down the prime line and sloppily traverse across the alternate line. One of the guys had no kit no pack and just shoeshoes strapped to his back.

We made lemonade across the craptrack and on the hike back up more jabroneys were following this trail of tears.

It was like they all had no idea where they were going, just following the boots up to the top of thunder bowl then bailing across every slide zone and line in the bowl. Sheesh

Name:	PXL_20210426_213805290.jpg 
Size:	1,009.9 KB 
ID:	372950

Were they snowboarders? That is one of the routes to Palisdaes for those who don’t want to do the traverse/ sidestep during the lift served season. Maybe they were just out doing what they always do. Not an excuse for poor backcountry etiquette but ever since Vail/Coop started using the phrase “it’s hiking season” to justify the earlier closing under née management the post season tour scene at KW has been kind of a shit show.

My kid is 10 so it has been a decade since I’ve been out pre/post season on the regular but almost every time I’ve been out in the last 8 years I come across at least one group not equipped for a rescue. And at least twice have had people drop in above my skinner.

They’d been practicing their traversing all season at heavenly and decided to unleash their new skills at kwood Monday........or it was same folks who hike crater from the dip and then traverse across the whole bowl to get down.........fall line?!?......what’s that?

They are just winning. Think about how much longer their ride down is. You go fall line and you miss out on tracking up the entire face. Duh.

Man, looking at those pics again, KW is just the best spring skiing in the Tahoe region by leaps and bounds. I'd love to see some company keep at least 5/6 running into May. This is a shit snow year, and it still looks like it has decent coverage. I know, fresh snowfall, but still, pretty.

Anyone know if there is still snow down to the base of Far East. Gonna be up there this Saturday and trying to figure out if it is worth parking over there to ski back to the car at the end of the day.

I want to start a cultural movement to shift ski season later. Resorts always open mid Nov & close mid Apr. Would be WAY BETTER to open mid Dec and close Mid may.

All them laypeople trying to teach their kids to ski on christmas break in ratty coverage, in the cold and the dark. Sheesh, teach your kid to ski in shorts - sounds waaaay more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    I want to start a cultural movement to shift ski season later. Resorts always open mid Nov & close mid Apr. Would be WAY BETTER to open mid Dec and close Mid may.

All them laypeople trying to teach their kids to ski on christmas break in ratty coverage, in the cold and the dark. Sheesh, teach your kid to ski in shorts - sounds waaaay more enjoyable.
    Until said kid takes a fall while wearing shorts...snow rash is real!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Man, looking at those pics again, KW is just the best spring skiing in the Tahoe region by leaps and bounds. I'd love to see some company keep at least 5/6 running into May. This is a shit snow year, and it still looks like it has decent coverage. I know, fresh snowfall, but still, pretty.

Anyone know if there is still snow down to the base of Far East. Gonna be up there this Saturday and trying to figure out if it is worth parking over there to ski back to the car at the end of the day.
    Coverage at Soda Springs and SB is still decent, too. FWIW
    (drove by today).

And Mt. Lola is looking nice, too. Although USFS has the road closed 6 miles in...

You know Far East is closed, right?
    I'll try to check it out if I get there this week. I was there today but can't say if the track back to FE is covered. If it is the slush might make it more trouble than it's worth.
    Squaw is closing 2P weekdays, 3 P weekends. Still opens at 9.

I did a few laps on Granite today. As people came out of the little chute at the bottom and hit the flat half the people, including me, yelled as their skis suddenly tried to stop in the slop and their body tried to keep going. I'm surprised no one came out of their bindings.

^^^^ yup was avoiding the new sticky white snow today and aiming for the stripped corny dirty.
    Incoming rant.......One of the realities of the COVID induced surge in bc/slackcountry Is that there’s a lot of folks with minimal skills gettin after it. Lotsa folks I saw at kwood on monday couldn’t buy a turn but they got that traverse shit down........some lift mileage is much needed by many. It’s actually dangerous how some of these traversers ride in winter conditions......essentially ski cutting instead of riding fall line causing the slope to rip out. I saw that exact scenario a couple times this year in the bc with fortunately no consequence..........end rant

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ^^^^ yup was avoiding the new sticky white snow today and aiming for the stripped corny dirty.
    Incoming rant.......One of the realities of the COVID induced surge in bc/slackcountry Is that there’s a lot of folks with minimal skills gettin after it. Lotsa folks I saw at kwood on monday couldn’t buy a turn but they got that traverse shit down........some lift mileage is much needed by many. It’s actually dangerous how some of these traversers ride in winter conditions......essentially ski cutting instead of riding fall line causing the slope to rip out. I saw that exact scenario a couple times this year in the bc with fortunately no consequence..........end rant
    The brown snow was worse.

One thing I learned, after getting partly buried in AK, is the need to be light on the skis in avy country.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You know Far East is closed, right?
    I'll try to check it out if I get there this week. I was there today but can't say if the track back to FE is covered. If it is the slush might make it more trouble than it's worth.
    Squaw is closing 2P weekdays, 3 P weekends. Still opens at 9.

I did a few laps on Granite today. As people came out of the little chute at the bottom and hit the flat half the people, including me, yelled as their skis suddenly tried to stop in the slop and their body tried to keep going. I'm surprised no one came out of their bindings.
    Glad to hear they are running to three on weekends. Saw the 2pm closure this week. Kind of makes sense. You are right about the slush being a factor, but its pretty easy to get to the parking spots just before the lift base if you finish on Red Dog Face.

Gimpy, that is sad to hear. It was getting bad at KW before COVID, but that sounds sucky. At least at the resort there seemed to be an elevated level of ignorance. It is such easy access. Its a bummer, cause t10 years, it was just a few groups touring there, and courteous of each other. The overall skill level of inbounds lift serve skiers has suffered over the years. Now the Wall becomes tracked out going lookers left to right.

Kid and I going slushing this weekend. Squaw Saturday with his buddy, so we will probably be in a line on Shirley. Either back there Sunday or Summit laps.

Glad to hear they are running to three on weekends. Saw the 2pm closure this week. Kind of makes sense. You are right about the slush being a factor, but its pretty easy to get to the parking spots just before the lift base if you finish on Red Dog Face.

Gimpy, that is sad to hear. It was getting bad at KW before COVID, but that sounds sucky. At least at the resort there seemed to be an elevated level of ignorance. It is such easy access. Its a bummer, cause t10 years, it was just a few groups touring there, and courteous of each other. The overall skill level of inbounds lift serve skiers has suffered over the years. Now the Wall becomes tracked out going lookers left to right.

Kid and I going slushing this weekend. Squaw Saturday with his buddy, so we will probably be in a line on Shirley. Either back there Sunday or Summit laps.
    If the slush gets too bad they had the last tree run on Shirley salted for a race and it was nice and firm. I don't know if the race was last weekend or this coming one, or how long the salting lasts.

I’m not so sure the onslaught of newbs are all that great at traversing either. The number of times I encountered people sitting / stopping in the traverse track this season was probably more than the previous three years combined.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.