Page 56 of 226 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 5635
    Pretty sure got a pic (slide) of Peter Underwood shreddin'

I know neither comes close to Kirkwood, but you should probably try taking your kid to Heavenly or Northstar for the day and see if the ~6k base elevation makes any difference. Some people just have different tipping points where the altitude affects them. I have a friend who lives around the lake and despite being accustomed to that he still doesn't feel well every time we go to Mammoth.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I know neither comes close to Kirkwood, but you should probably try taking your kid to Heavenly or Northstar for the day and see if the ~6k base elevation makes any difference. Some people just have different tipping points where the altitude affects them. I have a friend who lives around the lake and despite being accustomed to that he still doesn't feel well every time we go to Mammoth.
    there is no 6k base elevation at Heavenly really. Unless he's gonna lap the face all day the skiing starts at 8k. But maybe quick hits then come back down.
    Last edited by powdork; 01-03-2021 at 09:38 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

looks like I'm heading out that way soon. on Ikon. will be skiing midweek and staying in Reno-ish and/or car camping. How are the Ikon resorts and BC? is it as thin as the SWE percent of average makes it sound? any recs on which Ikon hills to shoot for? Will be my first time in the area. Only major US mountains I haven't visited yet.

Sweeeet........ be sure to bring extra cooties to share with all our north shore brethren.... fortunately no ikon resorts in south lake and all the good bc is on the north shore

Squaw has no sidecountry unless you go with alpenglow expeditions. Alpine has some. June has excellent and mammoth has some. BC is still low tide but not bad.
    North shore peeps can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Sweeeet........ be sure to bring extra cooties to share with all our north shore brethren.... fortunately no ikon resorts in south lake and all the good bc is on the north shore
    I'm the most solitary person you can imagine, I'm traveling alone in my car, and am absolutely religious about social distancing and masks, only ride solo on chairs, don't go out to eat etc. I've been traveling since the pandemic started (thanks initially to losing my job and my home to layoffs). 27000 miles and 18 states since April 1st, and have made exactly zero people sick. but, ya know, feel free to hang out on your soapbox if it makes you feel special.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Squaw has no sidecountry unless you go with alpenglow expeditions. Alpine has some. June has excellent and mammoth has some. BC is still low tide but not bad.
    North shore peeps can correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks. Are Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth worth hitting right now? I saw the low percentage of open trails, but not having been there, it's hard to judge.

Can confirm that Kookfuckistan relocated to the greater Tahoe area for the holiday. Signs of stupidity and gaperdom abound. My favorite to see is the ski boots tightened to the max across the lower foot and completely blown open /unattached across the shin. Pretty sure that's how we all do it. The lady trying to TipToe walk in ski boots was pretty funny. Her boyfriend, snowboarder, didn't know what to do. The sledders are quite crafty since we don't have much coverage down low. Skiing is still fun. Been doing it with a 5 yr old anyways. Graduated from the Ditch of Room to Snow Snake Gully.

I saw a kid fall and eject 6 times from the bottom of KT to the bottom of squaw one on Thursday.

That said, Thursday did not suck. Somehow skied directly onto the lift the first 3 KT laps and the 3" of snow or whatever they got was pretty nice. Got lucky and was getting off the chair at Sibo while patrol was dropping the rope for the palisades. Set the bootpack and me and my friend were the first people in National that day after patrol. It skied really well.

all the good bc is on the north shore
    Sig worthy

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I'm the most solitary person you can imagine, I'm traveling alone in my car, and am absolutely religious about social distancing and masks, only ride solo on chairs, don't go out to eat etc. I've been traveling since the pandemic started (thanks initially to losing my job and my home to layoffs). 27000 miles and 18 states since April 1st, and have made exactly zero people sick. but, ya know, feel free to hang out on your soapbox if it makes you feel special.
    I’m no ideologue, just like conversations where I might learn something, but I’m not sure I follow your logic. Sounds like you stay in hotels frequently? And in your car you have a cooler and shop every couple of days for groceries? If you got the Rona how would have avoided being an indoor spreader (eg to housecleaning staff) during the pre symptomatic phase?

thanks. Are Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth worth hitting right now? I saw the low percentage of open trails, but not having been there, it's hard to judge.
    If you are around, then go out and ski. Alpine has good coverage. Wolverine and Palisades were skiing well before Christmas. With the foot plus coming Monday, a lot more will likely open. It is thin cover but covered enough. I could have fun at any of those resorts right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8DAE75E-C431-4365-A371-5652F948BE03.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	723.7 KB 
ID:	356100

This memory popped up from New Year’s Day 8 years ago, 2 laps with around 9k of vert made for day I’ll never forget with old time tgr posters LPH and Sierra cement. Kid in this photo was still in high school then, now graduated from college and adulting with a job now.

and it didn't snow the rest of that year

If you have not driven out here yet. Don't. It's not worth it. It just rained on the little snow we have. And it gonna be warm today.

If you have some flexibility wait till it really dump's. Could be in a couple weeks. March is fairly reliable out this way
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    If you have not driven out here yet. Don't. It's not worth it. It just rained on the little snow we have. And it gonna be warm today.

If you have some flexibility wait till it really dump's. Could be in a couple weeks. March is fairly reliable out this way

thanks. I'm not out there yet. I'm hoping to hit the road soonish. it's not a vacation, I'm checking out new places to see where I want to live.

having also recently (october) taken a 'non vacation' up to the wenatchee sandpoint region for the same reason I have two words.
    hood river. Took me by surprise on the way back.

thanks. I'm not out there yet. I'm hoping to hit the road soonish. it's not a vacation, I'm checking out new places to see where I want to live.
    FWIW, not sure what your housing situation is, but rent is through the roof in Reno/Carson City right now. If you have the cash available, it’s cheaper month-to-month to have a mortgage right now instead of renting (you’d have to put out pretty big $$$ for a down payment, though). And housing in Carson City is uber-tight, better chances in Reno. But Carson City has better access to outdoor rec. If you’re trying to rent, buy, generally live in the Tahoe area (South Lake, Truckee, etc.) first-time right now I imagine that’s almost impossible unless you’re the Zuck.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    having also recently (october) taken a 'non vacation' up to the wenatchee sandpoint region for the same reason I have two words.
    hood river. Took me by surprise on the way back.

word, I'll look into it. If Baker season passes weren't sold out for the season (and apparently insanely crowded?) I'd be tempted to live in Bellingham for the rest of the winter with all the snow they're getting. being that I have an Ikon pass, I'm trying to make sense out of picking either near Copper/WP, near Solitude, or near Tahoe or Mammoth for the remaining months until the resorts have hit enough days to not have to refund passes and give up and shut down for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    FWIW, not sure what your housing situation is, but rent is through the roof in Reno/Carson City right now. If you have the cash available, it’s cheaper month-to-month to have a mortgage right now instead of renting (you’d have to put out pretty big $$$ for a down payment, though). And housing in Carson City is uber-tight, better chances in Reno. But Carson City has better access to outdoor rec. If you’re trying to rent, buy, generally live in the Tahoe area (South Lake, Truckee, etc.) first-time right now I imagine that’s almost impossible unless you’re the Zuck.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

good to know. thanks. I saw a bunch of places in Reno that weren't super expensive, but I don't know the city so maybe they were in bad areas. ATM, I'm homeless and jobless and looking for a new place to live and work. I had gotten a remote job, but I and the other new remote worker were let go because "business is slower than we thought and we also decided we don't want to deal with remote workers". I'm basically nomadic with my dog in a 4runner and some savings.

I hear the best sledding is on the south shore though.

Just be honest. The ONLY bc is on the north shore.

and all the good bc is on the north shore

good to know. thanks. I saw a bunch of places in Reno that weren't super expensive, but I don't know the city so maybe they were in bad areas. ATM, I'm homeless and jobless and looking for a new place to live and work. I had gotten a remote job, but I and the other new remote worker were let go because "business is slower than we thought and we also decided we don't want to deal with remote workers". I'm basically nomadic with my dog in a 4runner and some savings.
    Anyone else feeling the deja vue?...spooky...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Anyone else feeling the deja vue?...spooky...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    You might have some insight into the area what's it been 3 years?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~