Page 91 of 166 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 4133
  1. #2251
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    11,146
    Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    hope to visit there someday but it's not in the master plan right now.. No, we just need to come up the night before. Hopefully that's all he needs, he's been fine after a day on multi-day trips. This is tough for me to swallow as it will limit our season with no more day trips but I can't torture the poor kid anymore, it's clear he has an acute sensitivity to AMS and none of the hacks we've tried are enough to help him adjust comfortably. Probably time to talk the wife into a ski lease finally
    Have you tried weed?

  2. #2252
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,870
    BA still bullish on the storm. 19+" all along the crest. NWS saying 9-17" or solid chances of about a foot. Bets on who's right?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  3. #2253
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,418

    THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

    It looks like the sac NWS office of predicting more than the Reno NWS office. Though I could be skimming too quickly
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 02-01-2021 at 10:20 AM.

  4. #2254
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,870
    For those interested:

    Join us Wed 2/3 at 7pm for a discussion with Sierra Avalanche Center lead forecaster Brandon Schwartz, followed by a brief Q&A session.

    https://facebook.com/sacnonprofit/

    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  5. #2255
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Uber Alles California
    Posts
    3,934
    Man things have changed.

    I was at Kirkwood on Sat, they dropped the rope to Eagle Bowl as my chair was level with the saddle. I figured sweet, 30th tracks?? Nope, no one went near it. I got down to the gate and one snowboarder was fucking with his gopro and I rolled in, first tracks top to bottom!!

    On Sunday we got there at about 9:00am and the line of cars was past Caples Lake!!!

    I kept driving.

    FUCK VAIL
    Hello darkness my old friend

  6. #2256
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Whatever. Seems like it was a good idea when neither locals or day trippers could access the lake because all the parking was occupied by big RV's staying there for many days or longer. People were roping off the shore and docks so that even if someone rode their bike out they were blocked (illegally) from getting to the water.
    I've encountered some rope people off of Hwy 108. They were laying claim to a large area and a long stretch of the creek. I ducked their fucking rope and went down to the creek with my dogs followed by a bunch of yelling and threats of something or other. I answered "public land, public waterway" and kept walking.

  7. #2257
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Jose Cuervo
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Man things have changed.

    I was at Kirkwood on Sat, they dropped the rope to Eagle Bowl as my chair was level with the saddle. I figured sweet, 30th tracks?? Nope, no one went near it. I got down to the gate and one snowboarder was fucking with his gopro and I rolled in, first tracks top to bottom!!

    On Sunday we got there at about 9:00am and the line of cars was past Caples Lake!!!

    I kept driving.

    FUCK VAIL
    Why is this Vail's fault exactly? I blame them for a lot of crap but not for the fact that too many people's want to show up and ski on the same day on occasion..

  8. #2258
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Uber Alles California
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    Why is this Vail's fault exactly? I blame them for a lot of crap but not for the fact that too many people's want to show up and ski on the same day on occasion..
    I could be wrong but when Northstar and Heavenly sell out their reservations they all converge on Kirkwood. Furthermore, Kirkwood skiers used to have a Kirkwood pass and thats it. The first year of the the Epic pass you saw a shit ton of people skiing Kirkwood for the first time because its on their pass now so lets give it a try.

    While we are at it, if they are limiting capacity how the fuck does the parking lot fill to capacity?

    again FUCK VAIL and all of its sympathizers

    carry on
    Hello darkness my old friend

  9. #2259
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Jose Cuervo
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I could be wrong but when Northstar and Heavenly sell out their reservations they all converge on Kirkwood. Furthermore, Kirkwood skiers used to have a Kirkwood pass and thats it. The first year of the the Epic pass you saw a shit ton of people skiing Kirkwood for the first time because its on their pass now so lets give it a try.

    While we are at it, if they are limiting capacity how the fuck does the parking lot fill to capacity?

    again FUCK VAIL and all of its sympathizers

    carry on
    I think the reservation issue is common to all three. We skied Heavenly on Sunday b/c we couldn't get a rez anywhere else. I agree tho that the reservation system seems more like a way to appease state regulators rather than a tool to truly limit capacity but it's just my impression.

    Kirkwood just doesn't have enough parking but you won't hear me arguing for more parking. I do wish they would fucking pave the Timber Creek lot FFS.

  10. #2260
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mountains, Trees, and a Big Blue Lake
    Posts
    398
    Said EPIC resort at 8:50am Yesterday. Plenty of extra Gapers, and they have brought the commuter mentality to the mountains. Best get up earlier.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210131_085224.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	360810
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

  11. #2261
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I was at Kirkwood on Sat, they dropped the rope to Eagle Bowl as my chair was level with the saddle. I figured sweet, 30th tracks?? Nope, no one went near it. I got down to the gate and one snowboarder was fucking with his gopro and I rolled in, first tracks top to bottom!!
    I think it's because the goofy short seasons (like closing on April 5th with 10-15 feet of snow on the ground) has driven away a lot of the dedicated / good skiers and now they go to Squawlpine or elsewhere. We have several examples of that in this thread alone.

    Sugar Bowl was nice enough today, but man, those warmer temps yesterday afternoon really did a number on things. Ready for the reset.

  12. #2262
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    For those interested:
    Paging Powdork, now is your time to let loose on SACís misjudgement last week...

  13. #2263
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Presidio
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    Said EPIC resort at 8:50am Yesterday. Plenty of extra Gapers, and they have brought the commuter mentality to the mountains. Best get up earlier.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210131_085224.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	360810
    Looks tame compared to Sierra at the same time yesterday, what a clusterfuck.

    I miss the $299 KW pass and sleeping in the truck bed next to 6...

  14. #2264
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Galena
    Posts
    693
    I knew Saturday was going to be a shit show everywhere, but my kid wanted to ski and we headed up to Rose and were in line by
    8:00. We were on Zephyr just after 8:30a.m. and the line was growing behind us.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A0D146DC-5917-48FA-9F53-B7DDFF9FCFC0.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	754.0 KB 
ID:	360827
    This is what the line like after one run. We did one more run.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	329CD6DA-1686-42BB-91C6-1C8EC44BABAD.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	747.8 KB 
ID:	360828
    This is what we were greeted by after our 2nd run. The line actually curled uphill to the Winters Creek sun deck before turning back towards the chair. F&ck that. We bailed. It exceeded my expectations of suck. Apparently later that day due to the size of the lines Rose made the bold decision to start putting three singles vs two on 6-pack chairs and ask doubles if they were comfortable riding with a single. Sweet.

  15. #2265
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I knew Saturday was going to be a shit show everywhere, but my kid wanted to ski and we headed up to Rose and were in line by
    8:00. We were on Zephyr just after 8:30a.m. and the line was growing behind us.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A0D146DC-5917-48FA-9F53-B7DDFF9FCFC0.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	754.0 KB 
ID:	360827
    This is what the line like after one run. We did one more run.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	329CD6DA-1686-42BB-91C6-1C8EC44BABAD.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	747.8 KB 
ID:	360828
    This is what we were greeted by after our 2nd run. The line actually curled uphill to the Winters Creek sun deck before turning back towards the chair. F&ck that. We bailed. It exceeded my expectations of suck. Apparently later that day due to the size of the lines Rose made the bold decision to start putting three singles vs two on 6-pack chairs and ask doubles if they were comfortable riding with a single. Sweet.
    3 singles or a double and a single on a 6 has been pretty much the rule at Squalpine but singles or doubles who want to ride alone can still do it. I haven't seen anyone getting shit for riding alone but then I avoid weekends. I have gotten shit a couple of times for wanting to ride alone when there's absolutely no line. It's nice to pull the mask down on the chair.

  16. #2266
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mountains, Trees, and a Big Blue Lake
    Posts
    398
    A buddy lives in Danville and tried riding Alpine this weekend. Told me he was stuck sitting in traffic on the 80 at 8:30 at Boreal and at 10:30 they made it to Alpine only to be turned around. Yahoo 8 hour car trips to nowhere. On Saturday they were parked past the spillway in the turnouts next to Caples, CHP was towing cars parked at the meadow, the Inn parking was of course 100% full. They have a reservation system but still like fucking their customers. #NoClue (Both the people and the operators). Seems like we get to do it again this weekend....Oh Joy!
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

  17. #2267
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    480
    Maybe this has been discussed before, but is it even legal for the resorts to sell day passes and then not guarantee that a customer can make it to said resort to use the pass?

  18. #2268
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Maybe this has been discussed before, but is it even legal for the resorts to sell day passes and then not guarantee that a customer can make it to said resort to use the pass?
    Squaw was giving refunds to people complaining on twitter.
    https://twitter.com/squawalpineops/s...97704412372994

  19. #2269
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    14,129
    On Squaw's FB page there were numerous complaints of folks with reservations that couldn't make it or even if they did make it they missed their alloted time to rent skis, their kids lessons, etc. All of which had been paid for in advance. These were folks that spent hours in between truckee and squaw and just found a place to play on the side of the road with their kids.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  20. #2270
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    118
    It looks like Squaw wasn't alone with the clusterf*** issues of traffic, congestion and long lines on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Basic idea: what if Squaw/Alpine paid for an electronic sign on Highway 89 (two of them so both directions) that gave folks a heads up that the parking lot was full and that cars were being turned around? The traffic backups on 89 were ridiculous this weekend with folks that just were trying to get to the mountain. And maybe this has been discussed before but why is there never any police or sheriff directing traffic at entrance of Squaw/Alpine? I've seen this once and it was Sierra years ago when we were leaving after a ski race was done.

  21. #2271
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Donner Summit
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Are you talking about the area out the back of the gondola building.? Where you go through glass doors.
    No, the main entrance facing west (towards Tower 9 and the ski shop).

  22. #2272
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    3,327
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	360841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	360842
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	732.8 KB 
ID:	360843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1,015.0 KB 
ID:	360844
    Going deep Friday before it got greenhoused


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  23. #2273
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    3,327
    Before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	706.6 KB 
ID:	360845
    During
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	783.9 KB 
ID:	360846
    After
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	866.6 KB 
ID:	360847


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #2274
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    9,067
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    No, the main entrance facing west (towards Tower 9 and the ski shop).
    Ohh the exact opposite side. That must have made some noise.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  25. #2275
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    3,327
    Others from Saturday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0848.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	360848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0874.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	987.2 KB 
ID:	360849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	360851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	890.0 KB 
ID:	360852

    Backyard Sunday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1162.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	360855

    Reset please+++++


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •