Page 204 of 226 FirstFirst ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Wow, that's pretty cool that they're being so pro-active.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

If you look at the NWCG map there are a number of purple squares indicating emerging wildfire<24 hr. A couple in Coldstream, one in the hills E of Martis Ck, one near Floriston, another near Mt Rose. I have no idea how significant these are. Nothing on Nixle about them. No sirens. Nothing on Inciweb or Calfire. Yet.
    https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/%3F/39.3063/-120.1492/11

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you look at the NWCG map there are a number of purple squares indicating emerging wildfire<24 hr. A couple in Coldstream, one in the hills E of Martis Ck, one near Floriston, another near Mt Rose. I have no idea how significant these are. Nothing on Nixle about them. No sirens. Nothing on Inciweb or Calfire. Yet.
    https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/%3F/39.3063/-120.1492/11
    Not too surprised. The lightning frequency for an hour or so last night was extreme. I saw multiple hits on the ridgeline south of the river from my place around midnight or a little later. The fact that it continued to rain off and on without much or any lightning until 10 or so this morning makes me somewhat optimistic though

USFS smokejumper plane out of Redding has been circling just south of Bowman Lake. According to this guy (who has been a reliable scanner account), they deployed a few minutes ago.
    https://twitter.com/eFireWatch

https://www.flightradar24.com/JPR52/291aac98
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Martis and Coldstream fires are contained: https://twitter.com/CALFIRENEU/statu...15623634972673

The NWCG map shows dozens of new incidents, presumable lightning strikes being investigated. Seems unlikely that none of them will turn into a major fire.

^Especially since we 're so strung out we don't have the ability to put out any new fires.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I would also point out they are putting out at a minimum 5 lightning started fires today that are at least as dangerous and costly to put out as the tamarack fire would have been, but they needed the business then.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    ^Especially since we 're so strung out we don't have the ability to put out any new fires.
    I gave ya the benefit of the doubt earlier in this thread but this shows I was wrong, you are a clown.

I would also point out they are putting out at a minimum 5 lightning started fires today that are at least as dangerous and costly to put out as the tamarack fire would have been, but they needed the business then.
    SMH

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI &amp; SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Is this sarcasm? Weren’t you just complaining CA should let everything burn more just a couple days ago (which is what they were doing initially w tamerack)? I can’t figure out what dig you are trying to get across here other than a slam on cal fire

The previously unknown wildland fire management experts that emerge online in the wake of any major fire are only eclipsed by the epidemiologists who know more than the CDC but are somehow being underutilized.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Is this sarcasm? Weren’t you just advocating to let everything burn a couple days ago (which is what they were doing initially w tamerack)? I can’t figure out what dig you are trying to get across here other than a slam on cal fire
    yes, that is sarcasm. Whether or not I believe fires should burn doesn't change their listed reasoning for not putting that fire out. They are on record as saying it was too dangerous to put in a team, but now it's not a problem at all in similar areas. All it would have taken is a visit from one helo with numerous lakes to pull from within a mile. They are walking all over the area now (or a couple weeks ago when I was there) and it's not too dangerous now apparently. Their reasons for not putting the Tamarack fire out before it got out of control don't hold water. I don't actually think it was because they needed the business, but it is a really fucking big hugely capital intensive business, and if those dozers aren't out destroying the landscape they aren't getting any return on the hundreds of millions invested.

I don’t recall anything about danger. My recollection was that it wasn’t a priority and they wanted tamerack to do some Forrest clean up but it ended up exploding

https://www.facebook.com/HumboldtToi...55306648085725
    this was from July 10, after burning for 6 days
    The #TamarackFire burning in the Mokelumne wilderness was ignited July 4 from lightning. The tactical management decision is not to insert fire crews due to safety concerns, however, this is not an unresponsive approach. Smoke might be visible to Pacific Crest Trail hikers but the .25 acre fire is surrounded by granite rocks, a small lake and sparse fuels. Fire poses no threat to the public, infrastructure or resource values.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Martis and Coldstream fires are contained: https://twitter.com/CALFIRENEU/statu...15623634972673
    Chalk another one up for Tinkerbell in stretch pants. Seems to have had the correct info on those fires this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    The previously unknown wildland fire management experts that emerge online in the wake of any major fire are only eclipsed by the epidemiologists who know more than the CDC but are somehow being underutilized.
    c'mon you've been in these threads since the beginning you should know i have been an internet wildland fire management expert since the beginning of my time here
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...10#post1325010

and I would point out sftc's post several below the linked post
    Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    Hum, so we're fucked in Colorado as well... half the West looks like that, gotta love the US Forest Service's policy of stopping natural fires....
    I know they are fighting against, and trying to correct, many years of mismanagement, but this is gonna happen for years to come.

I think we can summarize the management of wildfires in CA in the summer of 2021 as damned if you do damned if you don't.

been that way for a long time.

One thing to give an idea how much the tourist pressure on Lake Tahoe has changed in the last 10 years is that Angora fire thread. We were still evacuated and telling people one of the best ways to help was to come to Tahoe and spend money. I know this fire is a different situation, but boy how times have changed at how we look at visitors once they started to overwhelm us.

https://www.facebook.com/HumboldtToi...55306648085725
    this was from July 10, after burning for 6 days
    looking more closely at that video I was able to pinpoint the starting point on the map. Also the first couple times I watched it I didn't notice the small spot that started outside the main fire's perimeter. i would have thought that would have meant something to them.

Here is the starting zone zoomed in
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tamarack-start-zoom.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	814.0 KB 
ID:	385072

and zoomed out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tamarack-start.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	791.4 KB 
ID:	385073

. It's not their job to figure that out. Not even a little bit. Nor is it their job to put every fire out. We need fire. bad.
    They have also had a year to figure out a better way to to deal with crisis levels other than closing everything. This was not only foreseeable, but almost guaranteed. Yet they planned nothing.
    If you guys haven't figured it out, fire is here to stay, and these bullshit closures are here to stay too. Fire is something to prepare for, and be knowledgeable about. Not something to be scared of. Homes should not be built without a self sufficient fire suppression apparatus in wildland zones. There should be zones where nothing is done to protect structures. Sorry, but this is where you live so it's on you. Fires need to happen, and the more regularly the better..
    ?
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.

Would you care to elaborate on your question?

Maybe he’s saying that post makes your perceived criticism of their decision to let tamarack burn seem a bit hypocritical?

But I am not criticizing their decision to let it burn. I was questioning their given reason for not putting it out. There is a difference.

But I am not criticizing their decision to let it burn. I was questioning their given reason for not putting it out. There is a difference.
    The result is the same so to me seems like a difference without a difference. CYA and lawyers often makes words meaningless.
    Big picture we need more fire and fuels reduction. Small picture I spent the morning blowing burnt pine needles and ash off my metal roof and wood deck. I will always be grateful for the efforts of the firefighters and by extension Cal Fire. So I feel conflicted. I was curious how you resolve seemingly being on both sides of an issue. Any time I am about to repeat a McClintock talking point I bite my tongue.
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.