Page 159 of 226 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 5635
    Mammoth to Badger Pass gondola, mid stations at Tioga Pass and June Mtn. Would allow access from the west side of the sierra to Mammoth in the winter, as well as BC access off Tioga pass. Wilderness regulations be damned.

^^^^^there will be a shuttle from the MoMart back to June. Only problem is you still need to take J1 to get back the gondola station. Also heard that once the snow melts the shuttle will go all the way up to the power station. And it won’t really be BC, more like south country at Crystal. Bombed but very lightly patrolled and still plenty of potential hang fire. Full liability forms required, along with partner, probe, shovel, bacon and sign out/ sign in. Actually a bit of a PITA, but it will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Mammoth-June gondola?
    I believe they call this interconnect Back to the Future https://www.snowboarder.com/transwor...ne-to-mammoth/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Thanks for that. Good read and pics

Here's some Carson Pass video from June 10th as a pit on my way out to Telluride.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQGwV9fDDFg/

Heresy Hearsay- buddy was giving a guy a ride to the airport in South Lake. Conversation turned to what the guy did. He was just finishing a contract for a large number of 'Forest Closed' signs. It seems like the expectation from the FS is that they will be closing again this summer.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Heresy Hearsay- buddy was giving a guy a ride to the airport in South Lake. Conversation turned to what the guy did. He was just finishing a contract for a large number of 'Forest Closed' signs. It seems like the expectation from the FS is that they will be closing again this summer.
    I wonder if they will allow day use, because that sounds like a good arrangement to allow recreation but keep risk of campfires down.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I wonder if they will allow day use, because that sounds like a good arrangement to allow recreation but keep risk of campfires down.
    If they did do that I'd assume they'd ban gasoline powered OHV's. The other issue with day users is smoking.

SPI announced a closure of all their lands in California, effective tomorrow, due to drought and fire risk. Big bummer

Hoping that USFS doesn't make the same move anytime soon.

https://www.spi-ind.com/OurForests/RecreationAccess

sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    SPI announced a closure of all their lands in California, effective tomorrow, due to drought and fire risk. Big bummer

Hoping that USFS doesn't make the same move anytime soon.

https://www.spi-ind.com/OurForests/RecreationAccess

For all I know, that could have been who the signs were for.

I don't know if they were camping, but the pack creek fire that is burning up some of Utah's best mountain bike trails was started by an unattended campfire in a day use area. It is foolish to underestimate the stupidity of humans

Closures are going to become the new normal. virus's, or climate it doesn't matter the reason. It will be the only way to save ourselves from ourselves, we will be told.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Closures are going to become the new normal. virus's, or climate it doesn't matter the reason. It will be the only way to save ourselves from ourselves, we will be told.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Do they have any other management tools for reducing fire risk? I mean besides a huge jobs program that speeds up all the fuels reduction projects 10x?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I expect that serious fuel reduction will be limited to areas within a mile or two of town. It would take a truly massive effort and investment to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It would take a truly massive effort and investment to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I expect that serious fuel reduction will be limited to areas within a mile or two of town. It would take a truly massive effort and investment to do more.
    Intractable problem.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Not saying it wouldn't be the right thing to do, but have you noticed the trouble Biden's infrastructure bill is having? Now double the price tag. Have you seen the trouble USFS has had getting the Big Jack East project going. And that's for a project to protect property.
    Pay now or pay later for sure. We'll be paying later and everyone hopes it's not their house or not on their watch.

That's what I'm trying to say. Damned if you do or don't.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The thing is, the pay me now hopefully ends up with more of our forests not turned indefinitely to desert

Well boys ....... if we harvest all the water before it hits the ground, we keep all that fuel from building up AND we solve our water shortage!! Giant moisture traps floating around under dirigibles with flex-pipe dropped down directly into our distribution centers! And all that land no longer covered by all that silly vegetation can be developed with luxury condos/McMansions!!

TDPUD has announced that Nevada Energy, which supplies the electricity that the TDPUD distributes, plans public safety outages during periods of high winds and dry fuels. Same thing PGE had been doing to a lot of Norcal. These can last as long as a week. TDPUD found out a month ago. This will also affect the North Tahoe area. These would hopefully not start until September or so but given the drought that seems optimistic. They did say that a red flag warning would not necessarily trigger an outage, depending on how bad the winds are.

One thing they talked about was setting up community centers to get info and charge devices. The entire population of the region trying to charge all their devices at the same time in one building. Right.

^^ I have a lot more confidence in TD-PUD than PG&E. I know it’s partly out of their hands, but just saying in general.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ I have a lot more confidence in TD-PUD than PG&E. I know it’s partly out of their hands, but just saying in general.
    Does tdpud have any say in the manner?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Does tdpud have any say in the manner?
    Not sure. I just meant in terms of line maintenance and stuff like that. I’m glad PG&E doesn’t manage the area.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.