Page 75 of 226 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 5635
    New Year 1997
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I skied that late 96 storm cycle. Crashing in sac. Tried for kirkwood. Spur never opened. Face shot on hwy 88. Amazing day at sugarbowl until they shut down everything. Stuck in Reno. Nipple deep on the face at June mtn. Then it washed away, federal disaster-1203. I’m not seeing that in the forecast right now. Just a good ol’ big storm cycle that hopefully doesn’t fizzle.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The storm in the 90s sent the truckee over the banks next to 89. Total mess w road closed and a bajillion Bay Area dentists trying to get home and back to work
    Bridges washed out. They had an old lift chair on a Tyrolean traverse cable to get to and from home for a while. That shit was crazy.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Tahoepa; 01-24-2021 at 07:54 AM.

It's It's a Ten Day Blitz
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Where is the NWS weather info on the front page?

Who has good radar loop imagery?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

That first big storm in the 90's we were holed up with my brother in law and mother in law. Not fun. We shoveled the deck every time it got up to the rail. Several times a day. It kept snowing hard all winter. It wasn't the biggest winter on the summit but down in Truckee it was the biggest in the last 30 years. The only time we shoveled the roof. The pile on the ground reached the second story roof. I gave up shoveling the front walkway because if I threw the snow as high as I could it all just came back down on my head.

After a while you realize that smaller frequent storms are better for skiing and for living. But we take what we get.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    After a while you realize that smaller frequent storms are better for skiing and for living. But we take what we get.
    Yes! Bring on ‘10/11 any time! For a few months, every day was a powder day either at the resort or in the backcountry. Foothill towns, like grass valley, had their highest recorded snow fall.

10/11 had a 5 week period of no snow. It misted in early January up to 10k and did not snow again until mid February. And it snowed a shit ton in March that year. And kept snowing into June.

I think it was 16/17 that it snowed frequently but rarely more than 10” at a time. I had a great time skiing that year putting my pre schooler in ski school and skiing an empty KW midweek in boot deep to knee deep pow.

Looks like the avy forecast now has a future forecast too https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...-sierra-nevada

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    Frush! long time no ski..

anyone know what's up with backside of Kirkwood? I heard the lift was iced or something but seems it should have been cleared by now?

I'm thinking of sneaking up for mini-pow day Monday before the mayhem starts..
    The website shows it running today.

I can't wait to the dry spell after this storm cycle when everyone gets over it again.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    Frush! long time no ski..
    Yo dude! I'm moving back to CA so let's link up again on the slopes! I still owe you for letting me ski your Praxis Pows on Eagle Bowl rope drop! Epic! Your kid must be ripping it up on the slopes by now too I imagine?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    10/11 had a 5 week period of no snow. It misted in early January up to 10k and did not snow again until mid February. And it snowed a shit ton in March that year. And kept snowing into June.
    It’s funny how memory (mine) and reality (what you stated) don’t always aligned.

There was a time that winter, apparently after mid-feb, when was I was doing dawn patrol or morning tours every few days at a trailhead at 5k ft and I was only using my l138, and never feeling like I grabbed the wrong skis. Grass valley recorded over 150” of snow. Skied some lines multiple times that have not been skiable for more than a few total days since.

As a possible aid in the reminiscing, I have weekly conditions summaries going back 20 years at http://bobskiing.com/snodiary.htm

I guess I'll date myself a bit... March/April '82, the 12' or so storm that produced the huge deadly slide at Alpine Meadows, we were in Yosemite's Cathedral Range for that one, waited a day for the break in the storm that never came before we had to do 3 exhausting days of trail-breaking to get out.

A bunch of us went down and rode bikes on the Bullard's Bar trails on the Sunday at the end of that dry spell in Feb.
    4 days later I caught the rope drop and ski'd nipple deep in the Rose Chutes.
    Never seen it turn around so quick from heinous hardpack to bottomless nirvana.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Going to be interesting if things rip naturally after the big impending snow load...... or does it not go in the absence of our usual big storm cement?..... and only rip with additional skier load?
    There are lots of shady areas with just a shitpack pile of facets to the ground under a crust..... terrain selection based on what’s there now will be key

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Going to be interesting if things rip naturally after the big impending snow load...... or does it not go in the absence of our usual big storm cement?..... and only rip with additional skier load?
    There are lots of shady areas with just a shitpack pile of facets to the ground under a crust..... terrain selection based on what’s there now will be key
    Something I've been thinking heavily about with such a wide variety of snowpack from bare ground to melt/freeze crusts to bottomless facets, etc. At what point does the new snow load make whatever existed prior to this storm obsolete?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    At Lassen a few days ago, I shoveled hard into the crust mantle and it was copious sugar snow underneath. Everything skied rock solid, but hoo boy, with a big fresh load on top of it, all bets are off. That, and the hard crust that's been everywhere is going to be a slick surface for the new stuff.

Did hopefully my last fat bike ride in awhile, did check out some north facing areas, 2” of light with zero bonding to a thin melt freeze layer with a deep layer of sugar underneath, did not get above 7200, maybe things are different higher. Did not exactly stoke me out with possibly large amounts of snow on the way. Still more than ready for all the snow Mother Nature is willing to throw at us, bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    As a possible aid in the reminiscing, I have weekly conditions summaries going back 20 years at http://bobskiing.com/snodiary.htm

I guess I'll date myself a bit... March/April '82, the 12' or so storm that produced the huge deadly slide at Alpine Meadows, we were in Yosemite's Cathedral Range for that one, waited a day for the break in the storm that never came before we had to do 3 exhausting days of trail-breaking to get out.
    I prefer to remember things as I prefer to remember them, not as they were.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

I only recall that winter clearly as it was just before my kid was born, and I was consulting and flexible with my work schedule and the surf was pumping during those 5 plus weeks with 70F weather and no winds. Then the snow turned back on and never turned off and I spent the first two months of my kids life seeing friends making Pow turns and KW opened chair 6 for July 4th and I skied the cirque on the 3rd. So memorable.

Be careful out there this week.

RE-skiing ancient
    Winters. Snowy rumors swirl.
    Q...PF is real!

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

A bunch of us skied a pow day at DSR on like June 3rd or something silly that year as they spun the lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Where is the NWS weather info on the front page?

Who has good radar loop imagery?
    And what's with the new NWS radar? Its ok for a static, current image, but horribly slow at animating.

try KCRA radar
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.