Page 71 of 226 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 5635

In case you're thinking Castle Peak isn't crowded enough - let's add skimo racers and runners with microspikes: https://www.tahoemountainsports.com/...hill-challenge

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    In case you're thinking Castle Peak isn't crowded enough - let's add skimo racers and runners with microspikes: https://www.tahoemountainsports.com/...hill-challenge
    That should be interesting this weekend with a little dust on crust. I suspect most people will wait and do it later. The off piste at Alpine was icy enough today to close anything steep. (The Face was closed and they were roping some snowboarder down it, prior to relieving him of his pass.) The far side of Wolvy looked like it might have started softening in the afternoon--by which I mean I saw 2 guys over there but don't know if they survived. The groomers were fun.

I've often wondered what percentage of people who park at the sno-park actually make it to the summit of castle.

One of my favorite all time junk show memories is seeing a snowboarder be turned off by the ticket price of boreal decide he is going to take up backcountry and start booting up the road. He almost made it up to the green gate (300 yards) before quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That should be interesting this weekend with a little dust on crust. I suspect most people will wait and do it later.
    Not if it's any sort of race. You'd want dust on crust.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

If you want it to snow, put on a race.

With any luck, the fastest times will be posted this weekend because after that, any ascent involves too much trailbreaking!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Cedarville Ski Area. Alturas, family wants me to visit. The Warner Mtns. quite nice, done amazing backpacking them hills. How's the Mom 'n Pop ski Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Westmeister View Post
    Cedarville Ski Area. Alturas, family wants me to visit. The Warner Mtns. quite nice, done amazing backpacking them hills. How's the Mom 'n Pop ski Hill?
    Looked cool from the road in the summer. Looks like it's still low tide.
    Cedar Pass Snow Park has a FB page.
    Warner Canyon Ski Area in Lakeview, OR has the goods for a small hill.
    Maybe the next storm cycle?

^thanks love me some small areas like that.

me too
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    If you want it to snow, put on a race.

With any luck, the fastest times will be posted this weekend because after that, any ascent involves too much trailbreaking!
    Every time they try to schedule a stage of the Tour of California near Tahoe in May it snows. I think they've given up. I watched a SUP race in June in a pretty good snow storm on Donner Lake.

Thanks for sharing. It's a really well done example of why being dialed for rescue is important.

Not sure if there are any mags in the video or editing team but it would be really interesting to hear why they chose not to include the second avalanche problem of the day, exactly what slid on them, in the post incident breakdown/analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

I remember this cycle. The north side of castle also had numerous slides midslope same day
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...00/castle-peak

I just jumped on the radio program this year......it’s been so much better and safer I don’t know why it took me so long to start using them. In complex terrain it’s a serious game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I just jumped on the radio program this year......it’s been so much better and safer I don’t know why it took me so long to start using them. In complex terrain it’s a serious game changer.
    Did you go with the BCA setup or something else? I got some $25 cheapo set that came with 2 each of radios, earpieces, remote mikes, and chargers and it does just fine for the size of terrain around here. Definitely really nice not to yell without understanding each other and instead just calmly speak into the radio.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Did you go with the BCA setup or something else? I got some $25 cheapo set that came with 2 each of radios, earpieces, remote mikes, and chargers and it does just fine for the size of terrain around here. Definitely really nice not to yell without understanding each other and instead just calmly speak into the radio.
    If you are a climber, try it out on multi-pitches also. Makes everything so much better, especially on windy days.

I've been using the Baofeng radios for moto riding for years. They would def be good for skiing and climbing as well.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Yeah I use the bca link 2.0....... the baofeng are cheaper and of good quality but not nearly as user friendly (idiot proof) As the bca radios.

Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    If you are a climber, try it out on multi-pitches also. Makes everything so much better, especially on windy days.
    I don't climb any more, but it's always amusing to hike by a complex climb and listen to climbers who obviously can't hear or understand each other try to communicate. If I'm feeling friendly I may try to help out.

And the Tahoe weather waffle game is on. Crazy differences in precip going back and forth with each model update. At least we know it's going to be cold next week.

On a random follow-up note, earlier in the thread we discussed Technical Equipment Cleaners in Truckee. Just wanted to give a shout out - my once pretty gross yellow ski pants stained with dirt and lift grease look almost brand new. I'm amazed how clean they got them. Exceeded expectations.

I haven't seen that. It's been a consistent 2-4" (up to 6" on the crest) tonight, 6-12" sunday and a big storm wed-thurs, which is still more than 5 days out..

Depends which one you're looking at, I guess. Mostly referring to Monday - Thursday. And some are backing off on tonight quite a bit.