Page 218 of 226 FirstFirst ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 5635
    Speaking of wildfire closures, the pear lake hut will not be open for winter use this winter due to the current wildfires.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sounds like they need proper cyber insurance this time around (it’s a real thing and it covers ransom ware - my friend who is a broker sells it to various municipalities all over the country).
    Some interesting solutions are out that combine preventative software with insurance. You pay for the software and the premium and as long as all your machines have it installed you get premium coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    At Truckee town council the other night they talked about the cyberattack last month. By cyber attack I assume they mean ransom ware but they aren't calling it that. From the sound of things they scrapped their IT systems and rebuilt everything from the ground up and are stilling doing it. It sounds like they didn't pay the ransom. They said that all of the town's emails sent and received from before the attack are permanently gone. One big consequence is that the building department had to stop issuing permits at a very busy time and are just getting going again--so building around here is even more fucked than it usually is.
    If the deal is all cash anyways no one even cares if your work was permitted. Who has time to wait for these jokers, last year I helped a buddy get a permit for a new house in town. It took over 4 months. The house was already dried in when the permit came though and that was before their computers went down.

See everyone thinks technology is god gift. But I think we are going backwards as a society. Way too dependent on most things that don't help make our lifestyle that much better. Just ask alexia...
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Speaking of wildfire closures, the pear lake hut will not be open for winter use this winter due to the current wildfires.
    I dunno, that seems likely to burn actually. Probably not the hut itself because mostly stone but the surroundings are under fairly imminent threat
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I’m good with still calling resort chair … resort chair. Because it’s resort chair.
    How can they keep Olympic Lady?

It should be olympic person who gives birth
    . . .

Cheers to the new water year! Don't look at the GFS...
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

PSA:

Good to see some deals again on the used touring gear market.
    186 Watea 94, Dynafit Rad ST, BD skins $250
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...a-8ef1f3c6fc27

184 V-werks Katana w/ Jester binding, great shape $600

186 Voile V8, Rad FT, BD skins $425

Go forth and plunder
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    If the deal is all cash anyways no one even cares if your work was permitted. Who has time to wait for these jokers, last year I helped a buddy get a permit for a new house in town. It took over 4 months. The house was already dried in when the permit came though and that was before their computers went down.

See everyone thinks technology is god gift. But I think we are going backwards as a society. Way too dependent on most things that don't help make our lifestyle that much better. Just ask alexia...
    Yup. Got an app for that? Housing insecurity, we've got an app for that. Traffic problems - app. Wildfires are scary- check out nixle. Is it snowing - app. What are my friends up to - app.

That's one thing the tech industry is doing- disrupting shit.

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Cheers to the new water year! Don't look at the GFS...
    I generally don't as they rarely know. In fact they're not very good this far out
    A more significant weather change is possible for the end of next
    week into next weekend, depending on how much the TROUGH splits
    as it moves inland and also dependent on how quickly the TROUGH
    moves east across the region. There is decent potential for
    enhanced winds and a significant cool-down, with wetting rains and
    high elevation snow also possible.

Truckee has cyber insurance. Presumably that's what's paying for new computers, 2 consultants with very impressive credentials, and all the other costs associated with rebuilding their IT. Rather than paying ransom.

I'm assuming the attack got in the usual way, someone opening an email attachment--since they decided to scrap the email server and all the old emails. That was the one thing they decided was too risky to try to recover. The human element indeed. It's hard to keep people from opening attachments. Isn't there a way to quarantine and check an email attachment before opening it if you're not sure about it? (I've been getting texts that say "sorry about your service interruption, click here to receive your compensation from the ATT store" which I've been deleting. 1) no service interruption that I know about, and 2) ATT is not about to be giving compensation for shitty service or I'd be rich.)

Venmo is also sending out rewards for being such good customers. Sure seems weird I have to go to divineusilencew.com to get it but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Isn't there a way to quarantine and check an email attachment before opening it if you're not sure about it?
    Yep, its pretty standard. The cyber security company I work for even has features that block stuff like that without even knowing or detect if they put their work password into another website by mistake and stop it. But pretty much everything good is above the budget of a small local government. IT and security are seen as a useless cost until something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Venmo is also sending out rewards for being such good customers. Sure seems weird I have to go to divineusilencew.com to get it but oh well.
    I copy & pasted this URL and didn't get any $$$
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

I got an email from Sugar Bowl reminding me that they have a Palisades too.

I’ve always enjoyed the sugar bowl palisades. Sometimes the exits are a bit interesting. Does anybody know the names of all the lines?

I bet Daron does
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Update from SAT

Since we shared our last update, we have been busy bringing experts to Sierra to evaluate and help us outline our plans to open the resort safely, and as soon as possible. Engineers, arborists, and representatives from the United States Forest Service have begun the detailed inspections necessary in this effort.

What we now know is that there is more damage to the resort than was initially thought. A significant number of trees were weakened by the fire, some of our chairlifts have sustained damage, and other infrastructure requires repair. Already, a tremendous amount of work has been done along Sierra-at-Tahoe Road to remove fire weakened trees, and engineers are making progress in the effort to repair affected lifts.

As we look ahead, there’s still work to be done on the mountain to remove fire weakened trees on trails and along chairlift lines, and we’re working in partnership with the USFS to do that. As we learn more about timelines related to the repairs that are in progress, fire damaged tree remediation, and what our operations may look like this winter, we will continue to keep you informed.

It is also important to know that the USFS forest closure order issued yesterday does not mean Sierra was closed for the season, rather the fire boundary is currently not safe for recreation and when there is adequate precipitation on the ground, they will issue a new order.

We also want you to be confident in knowing that our goals remain the same: to put our employees back to work, to give you the high-quality ski and snowboard experience you’re accustomed to, and to adapt and persevere as we always have. The Sierra-at-Tahoe spirit is alive and well!

Thank you for your continued support and positivity.
    Bold Emphasis is mine

What's your line? KT? Summit? Shirley?

Between this and Palisades, it sure looks like Alterra marketing is just phoning it in.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I bet Daron does
    I will probably need to stop doing the pro call out whenever I see him before he shares the names….

he may have been the only person authorized to ski it last season.

I’m sure patrol have names for the lines, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’ve always enjoyed the sugar bowl palisades. Sometimes the exits are a bit interesting. Does anybody know the names of all the lines?
    Might need to zoom a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2378.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	387591

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Carson Pass update. While everything east of the ridgeline that runs from Stevens to Red Lake Peak to Elephant Back is in Humboldt Toiyabe, both parking areas at Carson Pass are in El Dorado NF. No problem though, I could just park on Red Vista Road (the old road up the pass along the Mormon Emigrant Trail). It's a different watershed and 100% within Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest. to my dismay, it was closed with red tape, a barricade and the same giant Eldorado National Forest Closed sign. Fuck that, it's open now.

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	387596

The barricade had the same sign as above, closing a road in the open part of Humboldt Toiyabe, that only accesses Humboldt toiyabe

Name:	IMG_1067.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	387597

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	387598

Dude, at some point your aggressive rule breaking and self doxing of same is going to get noticed and you're going to find yourself on the wrong side of a "let's make an example of this guy" USFS enforcement ranger action.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Why do you think standing up for my rights is rule breaking. And yes, they will find out seeing as I have already posted this on both the Eldorado and Humboldt Toiyabe facebook pages. If I can figure out how to sue them you can bet that will be next.

even the map on the poster clearly shows the area is not within the closure, or within Eldorado Forest

Did you just un-close the forest?

Bold move, Cotton!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by meter-man; 10-01-2021 at 10:38 PM.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Did you just un-close the forest?
    That forest was never closed. The border is 200 yards to the west and the road goes to the east. They just reached a little too far. There should be a term for that.