Page 119 of 226 FirstFirst ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by Westmeister View Post
    Where do yo live?
    Got demoted to Reno after seven years in North Lake

More on that previously discussed incident.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/...00-foot-cliff/
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Finally got to stretch my legs yesterday. Nothing crazy but smiles were had.

Alpine first thing this morning was more fun than I was expecting. Nice little stashes of fresh snow here and there. Cold snow too.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Blown in nicely in spots at rose today. Was planning not to tour as I got my first vax shot yesterday and wanted to take er easy - ended up skiing like 6 inches of alternately blower, cream cheese and crust in bounds. Face shots in the expected spots (with a hearty slash) and best of all NO LINES on slide side. Chuter started spinning as soon as I got to the car for family obligations of course

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4628.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	366147

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Did somebody say sleeper day???

My first reaction was heart attack, but a follow up on Channel 2 had this little tidbit
    Deputies tell us they haven't found anything to identify who it is yet. They say crews found a weapon near the body, and the case remains under investigation.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Up skiing at Rose this afternoon and saw a helicopter flying low and circling across the highway to the North West of the ski area. Obviously looking for something. Now Mt Rose Hwy is closed in both directions due to major accident by the ski area.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    My first reaction was heart attack, but a follow up on Channel 2 had this little tidbit
    Yes the injuries were vague in the original story. Could be lots of things. So I keep it to myself. My first thought was. If you're going to check out. It's a pretty spot for it
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Oh and about the same time there was a head on just below the Mt Rose parking lot. 431 shut down both directions
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Sleeper day! 3" of cream cheese well bonded to crust beats the hell out of the 6" of dust sliding off the crust we had last round. Looked like a SAR team was doing something along 88, hopefully nothing serious.

Quote Originally Posted by shakyknees View Post
    Sleeper day! 3" of cream cheese well bonded to crust beats the hell out of the 6" of dust sliding off the crust we had last round. Looked like a SAR team was doing something along 88, hopefully nothing serious.
    When i passed it was just the sheriff and another sheriff with sled trailer. Did the response grow?

When i passed it was just the sheriff and another sheriff with sled trailer. Did the response grow?
    When I went by at around 4:00 there were a large number of units there as well as a news van.

Ugggh. That doesn't sound good (edit-unless you mean Mt Rose).

Enjoying the cream cheese whilst avoiding all the Red Lake Community College classes going on. Super disappointed about having to cross tracks in the beginning wtf?!?
    Last edited by powdork; 03-06-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Ugggh. That doesn't sound good (edit-unless you mean Mt Rose).
    The emergency vehicles were all staging in the Mt. Rose summit parking lot. It looked the chopper had landed at the top of Tamarack. Sad to see.

So there were a couple events yesterday in the Hope Valley area and I'm not sure what happened out there today, but the sled trailer may have been for the crew I was with yesterday.

Myself and a couple other buds were skiing off Stevens Peak yesterday, we didn't make it to the peak and started skiing down as the wind started to be a bit much. Snow had been softening on the skin up, but the winds and colder temps made the snow pretty variable skiing down. About five minutes into our descent, one in our group took a spill and was clearly pretty severely injured when I got down to him. We found out later he had broken both legs (left spiral tib/fib and right broken fibula). I made the 911 call, Alpine County sent out a CHP helicopter that was eventually able to make a landing on a small knob. Two SAR guys came out of the helicopter on skis, and a couple other SAR personnel came up on foot about 20 minutes later (they had abandoned the track quads earlier and had to come up on foot). Between the six of us, it ended up taking two to two and a half hours to get from where we were to the helicopter. Apparently he got flown down on the chopper to an ambulance on 88. All told, it was six hours from the time I made the call until we got back to the trail head.

Alpine County Sheriff and SAR was unbelievable in their response, they made the whole process as smooth as it could have possibly been. Communication was great and we were all 100% on the same page with every move we made through the whole ordeal. I obviously can't send enough thanks their way for saving us yesterday/last night. And CHP pilot was absolutely amazing with the helicopter. I know that's what they train to do, but it was really impressive to see.

First search and rescue mission I was involved in and it was real. It could have been worse in so many ways, but the big thing was that we were lucky enough to have cell service without having to leave the injured partner. Our bud was responsive the whole time, but we could tell that he was cold and in pretty significant pain. Myself and other uninjured partner made an anatomic splint with voile straps, dug out a little platform, gave him as many layers as we could while keeping ourselves warm enough, and took turns sitting behind him and wrapping ourselves around him to keep him warm and off the snow as much as we could.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blart View Post
    Got demoted to Reno after seven years in North Lake
    Thanks, puts things into perspective. I've had a good 16 year run, with like 10 p/t before that. Shit used to be cheap here. Like Powdork and others, rent and prospect to sell runs the game now. Move to the desert and commute to ski? Vanlifers blew the stealth thing.

Somehow my crummola got in your story HJ5, sorry, vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    So there were a couple events yesterday in the Hope Valley area and I'm not sure what happened out there today, but the sled trailer may have been for the crew I was with yesterday.

Myself and a couple other buds were skiing off Stevens Peak yesterday, we didn't make it to the peak and started skiing down as the wind started to be a bit much. Snow had been softening on the skin up, but the winds and colder temps made the snow pretty variable skiing down. About five minutes into our descent, one in our group took a spill and was clearly pretty severely injured when I got down to him. We found out later he had broken both legs (left spiral tib/fib and right broken fibula). I made the 911 call, Alpine County sent out a CHP helicopter that was eventually able to make a landing on a small knob. Two SAR guys came out of the helicopter on skis, and a couple other SAR personnel came up on foot about 20 minutes later (they had abandoned the track quads earlier and had to come up on foot). Between the six of us, it ended up taking two to two and a half hours to get from where we were to the helicopter. Apparently he got flown down on the chopper to an ambulance on 88. All told, it was six hours from the time I made the call until we got back to the trail head.

Alpine County Sheriff and SAR was unbelievable in their response, they made the whole process as smooth as it could have possibly been. Communication was great and we were all 100% on the same page with every move we made through the whole ordeal. I obviously can't send enough thanks their way for saving us yesterday/last night. And CHP pilot was absolutely amazing with the helicopter. I know that's what they train to do, but it was really impressive to see.

First search and rescue mission I was involved in and it was real. It could have been worse in so many ways, but the big thing was that we were lucky enough to have cell service without having to leave the injured partner. Our bud was responsive the whole time, but we could tell that he was cold and in pretty significant pain. Myself and other uninjured partner made an anatomic splint with voile straps, dug out a little platform, gave him as many layers as we could while keeping ourselves warm enough, and took turns sitting behind him and wrapping ourselves around him to keep him warm and off the snow as much as we could.
    When I got hurt a couple of years ago I was lying on snow for I'm guessing 30-45 minutes or maybe longer? and I was really cold by the time they got me into a sled and wrapped up. 6 hours--I can imagine how cold your friend was, despite all your efforts to keep him warm. The cold dulls the pain though. Hope all turns out well for him.

BTW--Thursday there was a helicopter doing laps over AM. It flew from the base area near the bottom of Subway out over the ridge at the head of Ward Valley and back. Same route each time. Was doing that nonstop the whole two hours I was there. Didn't seem to be carrying anything. Training? Might have been CHP.

Damn HJ5 thats heavy.

Wow two broken legs is brutal, binding release issue?

Healing vibes going out to your bud.

Yeah. Healing vibes.

Whoahhhh..... thanks for sharing hj5. The silver lining here is that your buddy will not be getting a bill for the heli ride cuz the chp one doesn’t charge....... if he’d been picked up by calstar.....$boom$

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Whoahhhh..... thanks for sharing hj5. The silver lining here is that your buddy will not be getting a bill for the heli ride cuz the chp one doesn’t charge....... if he’d been picked up by calstar.....$boom$
    That's good to hear, I was hoping that'd be the case.