Page 210 of 226 FirstFirst ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... LastLast
Results 5,226 to 5,250 of 5635
    I was just kidding - no one is going to close the forest due to climate change or whatever, but just to refresh your recollection....

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Climate closures are next. Just you wait, soon public land will be closed half the year.
    Coming soon "We closed forest because it snowed to much. "
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    You're not wrong. Avalanche Danger closures are only a hair trigger away. Won't affect anyone on this site though as the groomers will be fine for discussing turn radius.
    Noone said anything about permanent climate closures, just that these closures are becoming more commonplace, with no prior planning, despite the fact that it was obvious they would be more commonplace.
    I do believe there will be avalanche danger closures in the future. It will have nothing to do with increased avalanche dangers over time, and everything to do with the land managers keeping people from being hurt on their land, in the interest of public safety, and with an abundance of caution.
    Better planning for closures would be great. Along with a few billion extra in funding to better reduce fire hazard, carry out more control burns, plan for and execute a staged closure (this idea of yours is very good, but just needs planning and funding), etc.

I suppose you could be right about avalanche closures. Then again, Caldor was 200,000+ acres and threatened to incinerate Xmas Valley, Meyers, and the City of South Lake Tahoe. Ain't no avalanche cycle that can do anything close to that.
    Last edited by meter-man; 09-15-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    sproing!

Maybe if . . .
    Name:  Avalanche_Sharks_theatrical_release_poster.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  24.0 KB

Palpitations Tahoe is fun every day except for deep days. I have more fun elsewhere during storms.

VALLEJO, Calif., — Sept. 14, 2021. The USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region will end the regional closure order affecting National Forests in California at 11:59 pm on Wednesday, Sept. 15, two days prior to the original end date of Sept. 17. However, forest-wide closures will remain in place and be extended until midnight on September 22nd on the Los Padres, Angeles, San Bernardino, and Cleveland National Forests in Southern California due to local weather and fire factors, as well as a temporary strain on firefighting resources supporting large fires in other areas of the state.
    In addition to the four National Forests that will remain closed in Southern California, some National Forest System lands throughout the state will be closed under local closure orders in areas of ongoing wildfires to ensure public safety. This includes the Eldorado National Forest in Northern California, which has a forest closure order until Sept. 30.

If we're gonna play I'll go with 'within 7 years', although it requires huge storms that may or may not come. But I do think there will be a time when the rose goes all black and the FS effects some sort of closure.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I can't imagine avalanche closures ever happening. If they did, it would also imply "safe" when they don't close. I doubt FS lawyers would agree to that.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    For your kid’s and your self. Get your passes at Mt Rose. Don’t tell anyone but seriously
    Kids (and I) skied Rose from 2010 - 2017.....then last 4 season in Colorado. Boys (11-14) are ready/excited to see Squaw/PT. We will see.
    --I was a Squaw guy 97-2010....and met my wife on Headwall chair in 2004. So.....we are excited for that experience again.

Agree Rose is a rare gem, we may be back.
    Donjoy to the World!

The only time they're going to close anything is if a slope is above an important roadway, like they do on Teton Pass now after too many idiotic incidents.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Kids (and I) skied Rose from 2010 - 2017.....then last 4 season in Colorado. Boys (11-14) are ready/excited to see Squaw/PT. We will see.
    --I was a Squaw guy 97-2010....and met my wife on Headwall chair in 2004. So.....we are excited for that experience again.

Agree Rose is a rare gem, we may be back.
    If you go this route. Be ready to leave Reno around 6am. At the latest. Things have changed. 80 backs up before Genshire and every road in is a parking lot. Too many times sitting in traffic for a few hours. Even trying to go to homeywood. Go over 267 though king beach. Traffic stops around dollar hill. And that’s how it is.
    But I understand. You half to do it. It’s just a lot of overhead and stress when the rose is just consistent and easy
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I had a full IKON and Telluride pass last year. Called Telluride regarding renewing pass for this season and if any discounts for renewing early. $1900 with no discounts and a price increase in October. Ughhhhhhh.

But yeah, all my kids are doing ski team again at the new tahoe ski resort so see you fools in the morning at the usual spots.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The only time they're going to close anything is if a slope is above an important roadway, like they do on Teton Pass now after too many idiotic incidents.
    I would agree that those shouldn't count.

... everything to do with the land managers keeping people from being hurt on their land, in the interest of public safety, and with an abundance of caution.
    Gotta love the land manager transition zones. Once I woke up off-trail on USFS land, on a steep muddy cliff next to an unmarked 6 foot deep mantrap hole with hotspring at bottom, then hiked 5 miles to a wide NPS trail with numerous signs and a closure due to a few rocks out of place and trail maintenance. Or during the Rim Fire when USFS lands closed and even saying "spark" was banned, yet Yosemite was open with no fire restrictions. Also been warned of active fire while picking up permit "watch out for rolling rocks and burning logs," (USFS) and another time banned from entering a cold fire area burned the prior season (NPS).

I figure it mostly depends on whether I'm talking to wilderness rangers or truck driving rangers. One walks near bears and crosses icy torrents. The other worries about paper cuts. And they generally deal with populations like themselves. Which is fine.

am privy to a lot of the long-term planning on the avy front through some volunteer work. there's no discussion of closures based on avy forecasts.

the scale of impact between a wildfire burning SLT or 463,000 acres in norcal and an avalanche, or even a LOT of avalanches, is a *little* different.

I definitely acknowledge the 'slippery slope' of public land closures. not arguing that at all. just saying at the current time, no one is talking about avy closures

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I had a full IKON and Telluride pass last year. Called Telluride regarding renewing pass for this season and if any discounts for renewing early. $1900 with no discounts and a price increase in October. Ughhhhhhh.

But yeah, all my kids are doing ski team again at the new tahoe ski resort so see you fools in the morning at the usual spots.
    Wow! Telluride is approaching Deer Valley prices. A full Epic pass that includes Telluride days seems like a pretty darn good value.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    They don't close anything on Teton pass to skiing. There are specific paths that we hope Jeff Brines doesn't ski during sketch conditions however.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    They don't close anything on Teton pass to skiing. There are specific paths that we hope Jeff Brines doesn't ski during sketch conditions however.
    Clarification: it's not happening but the topic has been strongly considered of late after the road was closed due to skier/rider triggered slides, no?

If we're gonna play I'll go with 'within 7 years', although it requires huge storms that may or may not come. But I do think there will be a time when the rose goes all black and the FS effects some sort of closure.
    I'd say 50-50 I'll be alive to collect. 25% chance I'll remember the bet. 6 pack of beer? 7 winters starting with 21-22. (If there's an avy closure in the summer I'll be delighted to lose the bet.)

BTW--looks like Measure T is passing. (fire abatement)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    BTW--looks like Measure T is passing. (fire abatement)
    I would imagine that if there were many fence-sitters, the Caldor Fire probably woke them the hell up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Why would the USFS care about a few people getting hurt or even dying in avalanches? They don't close lakes to keep people from drowning, they don't close climbing areas because climbers might fall, they don't close peaks when thunderstorms are expected. Even the rescue or body recovery is usually handled by volunteer SAR teams or local agencies, USFS isn't responsible.

Fire is different - fighting wildland fire on federal land is a USFS responsibility, and they spend over $2 billion a year on fire suppression. New fire starts just add to the cost, particularly when resources are already stretched.

You're wrong. The closures were definitely a creeping authoritarian plot to prevent people from using public lands. The reasons will become more and more arbitrary unless we rebel now! By rebel, I mean skwak on teh interwebz.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I would imagine that if there were many fence-sitters, the Caldor Fire probably woke them the hell up.
    Yeah, but, not in time for South Lake. To be fair (if you watched Bring the Brigade) when the fire official said that in a lot of these places they had recently voted against additional taxes to beef up fire departments, that didn't tell the whole story. In March 2020 there was such a measure for the Lake Valley Fire Protection District. And yes, it lost. But that doesn't mean we voted against it. We voted for it overwhelmingly but since it involved raising property taxes by $52/parcel per year it required a 2/3rds vote to approve because California. It only received about 62% of the vote, which would be considered a landslide anywhere else.

https://ballotpedia.org/Lake_Valley_...x_(March_2020)

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Rogers pass then would be a better example?

Rogers pass then would be a better example?
    But that's in Canuckistan. Man, I drove over Rogers pass during a storm and that is some crazy, sketchy shit. All time white knuckle drive.

The best example of course is the closure above highway 50 as it moves down off Echo Summit

Sooooo…….are the forests other then eldorado open now?