Page 197 of 226 FirstFirst ... 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    who cares when it's under 10' of snow. If there are closures I will make a point violating them publicly.
    How do you feel about mask and vaccine mandates?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

live manzanita presents the same threat of falling through. the snow gets deep enough many storms you could fall wrong and not be able to get up out the snow. there's all kinds of threats out there.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    How do you feel about mask and vaccine mandates?
    well let's see how that relates. If I do fall through and hurt myself, what's the R0 associated with that particular malady? In other words, I believe in the science.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Can we finally, finally give up...
    Give up...
    Give a rest...
    Take a break...
    Yes, telling people who you don't agree with to shut up has always been a popular solution. And now there's more money and technology than ever to make it work.

"Democracy was dealt a major blow in 2020. Almost 70% of countries covered by The Economist Intelligence Unit’s Democracy Index recorded a decline in their overall score, as country after country locked down to protect lives from a novel coronavirus. The global average score fell to its lowest level since the index began in 2006"
    https://www.eiu.com/n/campaigns/democracy-index-2020/

It really doesn't matter at all what the issue is: woke or not woke, voting, health care, education, or fat old Americans feeling cool when they go on vacay. Even if it's a day or so after where they vacation almost burnt to the ground.

At least the Surf Punks had a sense of humor.

well let's see how that relates. If I do fall through and hurt myself, what's the R0 associated with that particular malady? In other words, I believe in the science.
    you wouldn't call SAR? you'd just stay there and die?

As always, that’s a stupid argument

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    It's getting kind of smoky here, it's OK if I bring my SUP down to Steamer Lane and catch some waves right?
    I'm totally fine with that. Rarely ever surf that place. Besides, it is little entertaining seeing all the 'locals' get cringe and pissed at the SUP in the line up. Pure comedy.

Emcee, there is no economy here outside tourism. So please buy some of our $10 beers and $8 loaves of bread. I can't afford that shit with a local wage, so someone needs to prop up the tech bro economy in town. Of course we have a lot of tech bros living here now, and they don't go to work anymore. Win win?

Seriously, if any of you are escaping smoke or fire or just getting down to the coast, hit me up. I can get you into way more pleasant SUP zones than the surfer statue.

I’ve been hearing rumors of a big party that’s going to be thrown in town for all the firefighters and emergency personnel as a celebration and recognition of the kickass effort that’s been thrown down. I’m still blown away that no structures in the actual basin have been destroyed. I’m ready to throw down so please link up any fundraising links here for just such a gathering.
    I agree that it’s doubtful that we see any winter closures in the fire affected mountains. Been trying to think of any skiable areas that will actually be improved from the fire. The slide path approach of Ralston from the aspen creek tract pullout will certainly be easier now and the bonus shot of trimmer should now require less snow to be skiable

One likely closure would be the Johnson road SnoPark, but that’s not really a forest closure

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    From what I have seen so far, this was pretty much best case scenario all things considered (so far). Much of what burned was much needed forest cleansing- some areas got nuked, but a considerable amount of larger trees still green. Bottom of toads and surrounding trails still clearly defined and looking rideable, with surrounding ground all ash, so hopeful the trails will be OK for next summer with some love (and when the forest is deemed safe from risk of falling snags). Critters still roaming and bears running things in town. So far as I know only a single residence this side of echo with structure damage. Not bad. I know the evacuation sucks, but crews are working from heavenly to Christmas valley and everywhere in between, so it's good to not have people here, strange as it is. Lots of mop up to be done yet around neighborhoods. Feeling for people that can't work and are struggling through this, but at least most will have a home waiting for them. Could have been so much worse, time will heal this.
    Meyers feels like a much safer place with burns on 3 sides. I’ve always semi been shitting my pants when the wind starts nuking through the valley. I can kind of relax until the day I croak.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    If you’ve got spare time on your hands, I’m sure getting your USFS sawyer certs will be much appreciated by volly trail crews!
    What is this USFS sawyer cert and how do I get one?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/managing-lan...al-saw-program

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/managing-lan...al-saw-program

I’m sure the TAMBA folks know when regional training opportunities are coming g up next.

I don’t have firsthand knowledge or experience with any of that, waiting for the kids to get older first. I’ve been able to only put in 2 volunteer trail work days with hand tools in the last 3 years.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
    Meyers feels like a much safer place with burns on 3 sides. I’ve always semi been shitting my pants when the wind starts nuking through the valley. I can kind of relax until the day I croak.
    We might be safer from fires but I see no escaping the smoke. We came for the winters and stayed for the summers but now we’re leaving because of the smoke.

Came for the winters, stayed for the summers. Now they’re cancelling summers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    We might be safer from fires but I see no escaping the smoke. We came for the winters and stayed for the summers but now we’re leaving because of the smoke.
    Utah here. Just following the fire. Same. 13 years in Utah. Back east I go. 50/50 decision of family and over weather/smoke/people.

On the PNW closures:

I’m pretty sure the closures are due to messed up roads and bridges that they aren’t confident in and the even larger risk of falling trees.

Not only the hazard of trees falling on people but the need to rescue people who drive up a road and then have a fire weakened tree fall on the road behind them.

This should prolly go in next years thread but
    Me
    Attachment 384335

Vets
    Attachment 384334

Dookey
    Attachment 384333

We can't start the new thread until the old thread's fires are out.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

https://twitter.com/CaltransDist3/st...27319390355457

@cityofslt
    is preparing for the reopening of Highway 50 into the city and will put out an official announcement once evacuation orders have been lifted, which is expected later this afternoon.

Bridge fire at Auburn Forest Hill bridge.

Edit: just drove by and could see torching from I80
    Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    We can't start the new thread until the old thread's fires are out.
    If there's enough ash to ski on, does that count?

This is pretty amazing: https://twitter.com/HKTahoe/status/1434154295398526980

Order lifted (downgraded) for SLT and Tahoma: https://twitter.com/CALFIREAEU/statu...37810166689795

Incline Raley's has the 411 posted on a sandwich board at the entrance:
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    If you’re an evacuee you really should be watching the daily Cal Fire community briefings for up to date info. No reason to be relying on reporters for that, Bay Area or local:

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7801/

And if you’re paying attention to that, you’ll know that people are just beginning to return to the west side of the fire, where it started, and would have no expectation to return to South Lake over the next few days.
    Mea Culpa

I was wrong and South Lake is heading home earlier than I expected. Good news, and I’ll happily take the hit for being wrong on that one.

I gather that several hundred people in the state park in the area of the bridge fire had to be evacuated by a difficult dirt road and some in the area were told to shelter in place. I don't have definitive information on this, mainly what's posted in our Wildfire thread. But it gives some idea why they closed the National Forests. It sounds like personnel were tied up with the evacuation--whether these are people who otherwise would be fighting the fire I don't know. If I'm wrong about this please correct the facts.