Page 170 of 226 FirstFirst ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Yes…….summers have become unbearable…..I’m looking to spend summers elsewhere once my youngest is outta high school in 2 years. And while south lake is indeed a shitshow………I think it’s still better then Tahoe city, the east shore and most of the west shore where it doesn’t have the infrastructure to handle what the crowds have become
    I still love it here in the winter though as it’s easy to escape the people traps if you’re willing to earn your turns

Live at lake view summer concert series was sposed to start tonight but is now cancelled till sept cuz covid’d……. Fuksakes
    I've long said that a true Truckee local leaves town on the 4th of July and goes to Hawaii in March. I don't qualify. (The 4th long weekend was quieter this year than some other weekends.)

this week has seemed strangely not crazy too
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

schools are starting back up and most kids actually have to be there
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Doubt it will be too crowded this weekend with all of the smoke that blew into the area. Yuck. AQI's over 500 around Incline right now.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Doubt it will be too crowded this weekend with all of the smoke that blew into the area. Yuck. AQI's over 500 around Incline right now.
    Not Tahoe. But down here in Verdi. It’s just getting light out. It’s like standing down wind from a campfire. Lungs are burning. Cannot see the mountains

This is bad
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Same story in SLT?? Family is flying in today to stay in SLT for a week, was hoping we’d luck out…

Look at purpleair to see real time crowdsourced localized AQI readings.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Same story in SLT?? Family is flying in today to stay in SLT for a week, was hoping we’d luck out…
    The rest of the week looks good after tomorrow
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The smoke is from the Dixie fire and hasn't been a problem until today. As powdork says the forecast calls for it to clear tomorrow night.
    I certainly don't like the smoke but I have to remind myself I still have a house.

Public comments open for a fuel reduction project in the basin.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ltbmu...d=FSEPRD937987

Thanks fellas, definitely hasn’t been great in Reno. And I hear ya OG, feels a little petty to worry about the smoke in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Thanks fellas, definitely hasn’t been great in Reno. And I hear ya OG, feels a little petty to worry about the smoke in the grand scheme of things.
    Not petty. Human. We all complain about it. It's a proven fact that realizing that someone else has it worse than you has never made anyone feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Public comments open for a fuel reduction project in the basin.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ltbmu...d=FSEPRD937987
    Fuck the public. Just do it. (Yeah, right)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Fuck the public. Just do it. (Yeah, right)
    “They” should suspend NEPA and the TRPA reg for a few big projects to get things started. Newsom did it with CEQA for his big batch of projects that started in 2019/2020

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Yesterday was I think worse than any point last year. I could literally see waves within the smoke flowing through my neighborhood.

Looking quite a bit better today
    Still in the unhealthy range for sure.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Keep in mind that SLT is way more of a shit show than elsewhere around the lake. Not to say there aren't shit shows in Truckee / west shore / Incline / KB, I just mean relatively speaking. But yeah, I tend to go out more during the week and lay-low / ride trails I can access directly from my house / grill at home with friends, etc. on the weekends. Although there are still some quiet spots that aren't completely blown up.

If your proposed escape with great mountain biking was far enough away to not get completely blown up, yeah, you'd attract a lot of people for sure. But also a lot of people are lazy (which can be a good thing in this case) so it really depends on the distance and how awesome the trails are.
    And technically, if it does get blown up, you will attracted a lot of people already. By definition. Sounds like a win win.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Yesterday was I think worse than any point last year. I could literally see waves within the smoke flowing through my neighborhood.

Looking quite a bit better today
    Still in the unhealthy range for sure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B52AC3B-34ED-4440-9298-B622AB679E2B.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	461.9 KB 
ID:	381758
    My kid is riding down in Mammoth today and just sent me this pic. From the looks of his pic, Mammoth appears to be a good spot for anyone looking for a break from Reno/Tahoe’s shitty air.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56A3B78A-AD4B-422E-9FCE-94E7557DF0C9.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	543.9 KB 
ID:	381759
    I’m still on the Tamarack Fire. Currently just West of the Leviathan repeater sight at 8000 ft. Looking down on Minden/Gardnerville under that blanket of smoke. Smoke was so thick that it temporarily shutdown all air-ops. Visibility has gotten slightly better today.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 08-07-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Just saw an article saying that the search for fogey is being scaled back, due to prolonged lack of success. It said they did find his daypack, which raises more questions than it answers, given that evidently they didn’t find him anywhere nearby. I’m heading up there and if any rangers I chat with have anything to add to this frustrating update I’ll pass it along. :-(

damn

Thanks for the fogey update.

I got this text Friday from a mutual friend of Fogey’s. I was deep in the mountains in the middle of Nevada.

“ Rick still missing. Big search party this weekend and it will be the last. Think he had mishap looking for water since he lost pack and was walking with just his poles and no jacket “

Richard was a great guy, he was one of the good ones ☹️

More, worse fogey info: I was out there, saw about a dozen SAR & ranger folks yesterday, nobody but us recreational hikers out today. Search seems over, and not without good reason as I think it’s been 2 weeks now.

This is a strange one. His daypack was found along a trail in forested county, and not far from the running creek that the trail more or less follows, and he was not found anywhere nearby. As I told mikey yesterday morning, that kind of rules out that his (original) problem was a debilitating injury or health event. SAR guys I talked to are convinced that this was a case of lost and disoriented, and then maybe proceeded not to make the best choices.

Not what I would expect of a presumably experienced hiker. Also going off-trail in the broad area of his daypack, I can attest having done some yesterday, generally sucks; if he left the trail, there or elsewhere, for whatever reason (and he did leave the trail, somewhere) he wouldn’t have gotten very far. Anyway…

could be any of us

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    could be any of us
    something I think about more the older I get.
    I hope he had a sudden heart attack or something like that and not an injury that left him suffering and unable to help himself.