Page 174 of 226 FirstFirst ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Lots of precedence for regular people origins of big fires. Smokers, people who like campfires, gun shooters, toilet paper burners, bandit campers, cars with hot exhaust units against dry grass... Just because you and I are careful doesn't mean that everybody is. That the risk of new fires would decrease with fewer recreationists crawling around everywhere is a no-brainer. Personally, I'm with you that they should be judicious about the restrictions, though.
    Don't forget the Autumn Hills fire down in the Minden foothills. Two kids were lighting lizards on fire. The lizards, as burning lizards do, scampered around through the dry sage....
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

^ Damn, and I thought our cats were hard on lizards.

This just came up, and it specifically includes LTBMU (among others) as being closed, starting Monday morning, through Labor Day; doesn't mention Eldorado, presumably because Eldorado was in an earlier order. Looks like central and southern Sierra forests are remaining open for now.

Disc Golfers almost started a fire in Blairsden (Graeagle) at the Brewing Lair two days ago…

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It seems like a broad brush stroke. partially in anticipation of the holiday weekend.

River Fire supposedly started at a campground.

In speaking with a couple of rec managers for USFS over the past few years, evacuations of forest users in case of fire is a sketchy high risk shit show.

Land managers in the Tahoe basin are really fearful of a large and fast moving wildfire in the basin on a holiday weekend.

Supposedly, an mtb rider started a fire on the east side (lower rock creek) from a pedal strike.

Hunter started the Rim Fire
    grower started the Rim Fire
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    grower started the Rim Fire
    Interesting. I always read that it was a hunter with a campfire. And the hunter claimed that he knocked some rocks off a steep slope by accident.

By me, there’s been several small fires set at grows. There have also been fires adjacent to dirt roads, presumably from a butt tossed out a car window.

Also, several small fires from the permanent squatter sites next to the highway on TNF lands.

I have no idea how they can enforce the order. It’ll definitely increase crowding of the state parks and BLM lands.

They mentioned lack of personal available for Caldor due to other fires. Seems not having enough for existing fires would be a trump card when on the knife's edge about preventing additional fires.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    They mentioned lack of personal available for Caldor due to other fires. Seems not having enough for existing fires would be a trump card when on the knife's edge about preventing additional fires.

Yeah, I saw that. A couple nights ago I even mentioned to my girlfriend how there were less than 250 firefighters on the Caldor. They must've got reinforcements because that number is now over 1000.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. A couple nights ago I even mentioned to my girlfriend how there were less than 250 firefighters on the Caldor. They must've got reinforcements because that number is now over 1000.
    They mentioned at the time that they had received significant reinforcements but other items were taking priority to updating the resource numbers

getting back to the mundane PA discussion. I go outside, I see smell no smoke (NOT COVID). i look around, i see no ground-level smoke in my neighborhood. PA with "USEPA" and "WOODSMOKE" conversion says that my area is all over 150, but "LRAPA" puts AQI under 100. this is me deciding if the littles should get kicked outside to play and I should go run or ride before it gets worse.

Jesus, you guys are going to lose all of your forests in the next handful of years at this rate. It's just too dry there with WAY too many people. California is fooked it seems.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Saw a bear just off of TRT, really close to Spooner Summit, yesterday evening. Think he got spooked by dog with couple up ahead of us. We'd hung back to make space. He was galloping along going downhill towards Spooner Lake trails. Looked healthy, but he was booking it, so hard to get good look.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Our forests will change. The plants that grow back will be better adapted to dry and arid and heat. It's an entire ecosystem shifting in like a decade. How we humans adapt to it is the big question mark.

And all ya'll watching from the sidelines - your time will come. Fire or flood or dust will come for you too, so get ready.

Or hurricanes...

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Went from no smoke in Truckee to 300+ and can't see the crest in about 90 minutes.

Edit: driving through Martis Valley and can't see lookout from 267

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Our forests will change. The plants that grow back will be better adapted to dry and arid and heat. It's an entire ecosystem shifting in like a decade. How we humans adapt to it is the big question mark.

And all ya'll watching from the sidelines - your time will come. Fire or flood or dust will come for you too, so get ready.
    You mean to say, “our forests will mostly vanish,” right?

I'm visualizing Joshua Trees, Saguaros, Octillos, Chollas, etc.

I spoke to soon the wind came up. And from my porch the is a mountain less than 800 yards away Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04CAC2DF-5630-4BC6-B82C-6B06FB9182D4.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	383022
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Why does TGR keep posting all my pictures sideways?

Really. WTF
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Why does TGR keep posting all my pictures sideways?

Really. WTF
    Best remedy I've found is to just use tapatalk or TGR app or similar.

If the forests vanish, then they can't close them, right? Bike on!

Yea. It’s a new iPhone and I won’t load apps on it and corrupt it. Using Safari
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

if you want your pictures to post properly, take your pictures with your phone horizontal. vertical pictures will always post sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I'm visualizing Joshua Trees, Saguaros, Octillos, Chollas, etc.
    just white thorn. endless white thorn

in the spring I wonder if I should wax for willow and alder or whitethorn and manzanita
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

if you're skiing at Sierra I would go with white thorn and charcoal for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    if you're skiing at Sierra I would go with white thorn and charcoal for sure.
    Maybe it will open new terrain like the Gondola fire did for the Heave.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc