Page 87 of 226 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 5635
    Sierra skied well this morning, snow from last night seemed to come in with little/no wind and even things that were open yesterday were skiing quite nicely. Bit of a shitshow from a crowd perspective, but you can't complain about skiing rather than working on a Friday.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

+1 for 2004. Best start I’ve ever experienced in Tahoe. My legs held up for that first deep pow day in Oct, but my abs were not very happy the next day

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    Sierra skied well this morning, snow from last night seemed to come in with little/no wind and even things that were open yesterday were skiing quite nicely. Bit of a shitshow from a crowd perspective, but you can't complain about skiing rather than working on a Friday.
    As somebody working, I concur.

At least we finally have a base for lower elevation BC areas. Will have more time next week and that stuff doesn't get tracked out (as quickly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Backed up all of the way to Highway 80 at noon on Friday. This weekend is going to be the shitshow of all shitshows...

Photo sideways because I had to lay down after seeing all of that traffic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	360367
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

I went to Sugar Bowl after hemming and hawing--I think I'd rather ski groomer days then deal with the human shit show when the skiing is good. All the lots were full but lift lines weren't bad--10 minutes the longest and a lot were much less. Probably were much longer earlier. I'm thinking traffic and parking are not a good way to judge how busy the lifts are--lots of people driving solo.

The little staircase between the lower and upper main lots was funny--a miniature spanky's ladder. There was a narrow half shoveled tunnel up the stairs with some people struggling to get up it, a line of people at the bottom waiting their turn. And spanky's doesn't have people trying to go down.

We get 6' of Pow and most people are just complaining. Get out and ski and spread the stoke... or do we not do that anymore because we don't want people skiing the same places we are?
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Or maybe we just would like to ski powder with a small to medium shitshow rather than a HUUUGE one. I for one understand the bitching. What good is six feet of pow if you can’t ski it and just have to shovel it from your deck and driveway?

That being said, bring on the stoke!

In a pandemic, on a Friday, in a season with a lean start, after several weeks of no snow, after a 6 foot dump that was all over the media and you want everyone else to stay home? No likely to happen.

I’m just hoping people are over it for next weekend when me and my kid might come.

And please moar stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    On an extreme day you could be killed in the Alpine Meadows parking lot or in the lodge. Hard to see what would be a safe terrain choice--Tahoe City golf course maybe.
    If you choose to go out on a day rated extreme--justified or not--plan on not calling for SAR no matter what happens to you.
    Tahoe has microclimates so a safe terrain choice in extreme conditions is where the avalanche dangers don’t exist. For example, with this storm if you can find a slope that doesn’t have buried weak layers and a wind slab all you have to worry about is the storm lab which you can mitigate by finding a slope that got less snow or has anchors etc. That slope won’t be the backcountry equivalent of KT or Alpine bowl but there are options.

Some stoke

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Tahoe has microclimates so a safe terrain choice in extreme conditions is where the avalanche dangers don’t exist. For example, with this storm if you can find a slope that doesn’t have buried weak layers and a wind slab all you have to worry about is the storm lab which you can mitigate by finding a slope that got less snow or has anchors etc. That slope won’t be the backcountry equivalent of KT or Alpine bowl but there are options.
    See i would think that is what would be maybe a considerable or potentially high day. Extreme danger basically means you can't find those slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    See i would think that is what would be maybe a considerable or potentially high day. Extreme danger basically means you can't find those slopes.
    While you guys were arguing over SAC ratings, the resort and the backcountry I found them... in both places

Well done! I'm just going through my semi-annual "i wish I lived in the sierra despite never having been there" phase and am lashing out to conceal my jealousy. Pay me no mind.

Fun to get out, even if for an hour, which also meant no dealing with said shit show. Now if the line for Gunbarrel stretcccccchhhhheeees to the top of Easy Rider every pow day then I don't know what to say except leave your cozy abode earlier. 1 time in my life I walked from Pioneer to the Cal base (I was wearing regular sneakers and not carrying skis) and I said never again. I saw so many people who were not even caring their skis correctly doing it in ski boots today. That's core!
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

NARSIDS death in Mammoth yesterday. Be careful y'all.
    https://ktla.com/news/california/ski...moth-mountain/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Kirkwood was good today, even w/o 10. 79 inches out of this cycle (one day got under reported significantly).

Skied mount rose ski resort today, it was a lot of fun. Worth it to buy the half day ticket and just ski, not have to worry about anything and just goof off dropping small rocks, logs and such. I did see a SAR chopper flying over rose summit area south at 4. Anyone know what’s up with that? Looked like ski patrol was also goin up the mountain to get someone, not sure if the two were related.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Morning shit show was worth it: Most upper lifts of note spun except granite, silverado, headwall. Great shots off of lower headwall via traverse from Siberia. Currently questioning my life choices however as 80 traffic is backed up --into the lot--, access road has been a parking lot for close to an hour. Smart money has abandoned their now boxed in vehicles and tailgating the lot. If ya can't beat 'em...

Local Reno news said lost snowboarder now found by sar on east/slide side of rose.......no shortage of dumb motherfuckers venturing beyond the ropes with no clue where they are and minimal riding skills....let alone zero bc skills/gear. The last few days have been eye opening in the slackcountry with the uptick in fucksticks this year......and it’s only just begun. I thought about joining sar for a bit......but I have no patience for stupid people anymore and that’d make me even more jaded .......if that’s possible....hah

Heard on the news that Highway 1 was wiped out by a landslide. How is that news?

Good fucking god. Thanks gimpy. Did it say how far down the slide side they went? The part of the mountain where the landslide actually is looks like it would be sketchy as all hell. I guess at least nobody got hurt (this time).

Tomorrow and Sunday is going to be epic for that. BC should be fun tomorrow, gonna still keep it real mellow but it seems like the snow is already starting to set up nicely.

Those south chutes off the peak of rose looked enticing, if they get/stay filled in enough for spring.

A little stoke

After all the digging out at my house, today skied like 4" of fluff on sponge. Not hard underneath, but you never sank in. Rose area.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 01-29-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	732.8 KB 
ID:	360408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	360409

Zero to hero..... love the sierrA+++

^nice...can't wait to get out tomorrow.

looking from afar and i'm very jealous right now that we aren't there
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar