Page 31 of 226 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    Went for a quick tour up Incline peak and found some light sugary snow still in north facing trees but WTF is up with the amount of dog shit all along the skin track! I mean goddamn there's a lot of shit out there!
    You should see the meadow on the other side of the road. I haven’t been over there yet this year but there is always a huge amount of dog shit everywhere over there too. I know people (skiers, snowshoers, and postholers alike) get a hard on for having “well-trained” dogs that they can keep off leash, but this is what happens when you keep your dog off leash. They shit everywhere without the owner knowing where and it doesn’t get cleaned up. It happens year-round, we can just see it much more clearly in the winter. Even if they see the dog go, most people just don’t care enough to walk the 15 feet off the skin track to clean it up. Now all the weird stuff your dog ate out of the trash is getting into the water supply. Cool. Nature appreciates it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Went for a quick tour up Incline peak and found some light sugary snow still in north facing trees but WTF is up with the amount of dog shit all along the skin track! I mean goddamn there's a lot of shit out there! Oh and the boot packing post holes in every skin track was just impressive. This new crowd is dedicated I'll give em that.

Praying for a refresh...mostly to save myself from literally eating shit. Then again I'll probably just be hopping on the snow pony more and avoid the land mines all together.
    Let's start a rumor that covid is spread from dogshit. That peak has always been the worst hit and I wouldn't hold it against you if you picked up all the poop...and put it in the bottom of the postholes...or threw it at peeps bootfucking up the track... or piled it into a huge stinky obelisk at the trailhead and hang a sign on it that says clean up after dogs. Again, where are the roundabout protests?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Again, a societal problem created by an accumulation of individual acts of carelessness.

I don't know any way to change behavior except by creating a stink. Literally. I think the only way people pay attention is to concentrate it all at the trailhead. Or backcountry ski patrol like in Donner summit but telling people to pick up poop, regardless if it's their dog's.

Apparently there is a bunch of skate/XC grooming in the trees south of chickadee and it's mostly free of runway models. But a good way to move two planks up one mountain is to put in a lower-angle skin track that switchbacks instead of going straight up. I'm talking first heel riser only. Not only is it more efficient (studies have shown!) but the boot fuckers are less inclined to Jack it up because it doesn't appear to go where they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

^^ I like all those ideas. The sign with the obelisk would be necessary, as I don’t doubt some people would mistake the shit obelisk as some weird tribute

Edit: I’ve heard dog poop COVID has the greatest viral load of all COVID sources /s

Why can't people do the right thing and bag their dog's poop and leave the bag in the skin track?

Went for a quick tour up Incline peak and found some light sugary snow still in north facing trees but WTF is up with the amount of dog shit all along the skin track! I mean goddamn there's a lot of shit out there! Oh and the boot packing post holes in every skin track was just impressive. This new crowd is dedicated I'll give em that.

Praying for a refresh...mostly to save myself from literally eating shit. Then again I'll probably just be hopping on the snow pony more and avoid the land mines all together.
    FWIW, I put in the original skin track after the storm. On my second lap, a couple snowboarders had already snowshoed up it. They were friendly and so was I when I passed them near the top. As I transitioned, I heard one of them say that he should have brought his splitboard but was worried about coverage. I didn't understand that at all, but whatever. On my way back to the car I passed two groups with dogs and they were friendly too. As crowded as it is now (Hourglass West?), ILP was pretty low key until five years or so ago when it started to blow up. Oh well. Anyhow, I'll have BC etiquette discussions within my own groups, but I don't have the energy to do so with strangers. It's easier to accept or even embrace the gong show and be friendly, especially this year when the gong show will be at max capacity.

[Edit: Is there anyway to get rid of the nonstop video that plays in the corner of the TGR forum on a desktop? It's new, right? In any event, it's obnoxious as hell.]
    Last edited by AKbruin; 12-04-2020 at 12:04 PM.

^^ In reality, that’s what I usually do too. Unless the topic somehow comes up naturally, it’s difficult to bring up an issue like that with randos without sounding like an asshole. And even if you’re nice about it, it’s still just awkward usually.

Out of curiosity, any idea how ILP was low-profile up until 5ish years ago? I feel like it stands out as an obvious relatively quick peak-bag from the road, with decent views of the lake at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    FWIW, I put in the original skin track after the storm. On my second lap, a couple snowboarders had already snowshoed up it. They were friendly and so was I when I passed them near the top. As I transitioned, I heard one of them say that he should have brought his splitboard but was worried about coverage. I didn't understand that at all, but whatever. On my way back to the car I passed two groups with dogs and they were friendly too. As crowded as it is now (Hourglass West?), ILP was pretty low key until five years or so ago when it started to blow up. Oh well. Anyhow, I'll have BC etiquette discussions within my own groups, but I don't have the energy to do so with strangers. It's easier to accept or even embrace the gong show and be friendly, especially this year when the gong show will be at max capacity.
    You attract more bees with honey than vinegar so the most productive approach is always from a friendly place, like as a neighbor, but I believe it's important to say something. I don't mind giving people bad vibes if they respond with BS like "I clean up after my dog" because most likely they won't change their behavior but also there's a .01% chance of ever seeing them again. Same for p-holes but it's pretty difficult to convince them to make their sufferfest even harder by wallowing outside the skintrack. It's still worth trying to use I statements and a smile to see if they'll consider others in their pursuit of coreshots and poop stashes ('staches?). Like "I feel much gratitude when I see a separate bootpack that leaves the skin track smooth for plankers." Best practice is just to set the skintrack where it works for skiers/boarders but looks roundabout/out-of-the-way to boots-for-brains.

Well, due to capacity restrictions when you factor in what terrain is currently open, Squaw has postponed ski team by a week for the Mighty Mites and Shooting Stars (mainly the young kids.) My older son is in Devo, so looks like I'll be skiing with a 4 year old tomorrow...YAY?

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    ^^ In reality, that’s what I usually do too. Unless the topic somehow comes up naturally, it’s difficult to bring up an issue like that with randos without sounding like an asshole. And even if you’re nice about it, it’s still just awkward usually.

Out of curiosity, any idea how ILP was low-profile up until 5ish years ago? I feel like it stands out as an obvious relatively quick peak-bag from the road, with decent views of the lake at the top.

Because most people don't think for themselves, and since there were always cars at Hourglass, everyone just went to Hourglass. I don't think it's mentioned in any guidebooks, at least not the older ones. Also, the "approach" might have scared some away, especially before the lake was drained. Maybe. But yeah, up until 5 or so years ago not too many people, I'm not typically an early bird but I put in a lot of skin tracks there.
    Maybe the Backcounty Alliance or someone can put up signs at trailheads listing proper etiquette, on everything from parking to uphill travel, to dogs, to avalanches. Yeah, some people just don't give a shit, but a lot of people are just ignorant AF.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I don't know any way to change behavior except by creating a stink. Literally. I think the only way people pay attention is to concentrate it all at the trailhead
    So you're saying dog shit on door handles, right? That's what I got out of your post. This is the way.

Edit: to be clear, I actually don't care so long as the dog shit isn't on the track. All of my skins have brown stains and it's fucking gross, especially when you're putting them in your pockets.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 12-04-2020 at 01:31 PM.

To clarify, I'm not advocating any particular approach. You do you. I'll do me, which is being friendly and trying to set a good example but mostly going earlier, further, and/or off the beaten path.

wait a second.......are you guys actually suggesting that people pick up their dog shit when they are out bc skiing? i understand at least flicking the poo off the skinner ........ but in the woods???? if so......you guys can fuck right off with that bullshit

Isn’t the best approach when it’s in the skin track is to package it into a snowball and throw it at your friends?!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Isn’t the best approach when it’s in the skin track is to package it into a snowball and throw it at your friends?!
    I think that's what gimpy is asking us all to do to him.

Gimpy, obviously no one is asking you to stop mid run and bag up some dookey. I think you're more empathic than that disingenuous post communicates. The problem, -as described by people who are actually affected by it, not just commenting from afar- is a widespread shmear of mines one must traverse at the trailhead and first quarter mile. It's really awful and I doubt you would have the same attitude if dog patties or even just Gatorade bottles were all over your favorite trailhead.

The Mt Lincoln groomer is getting pretty thin at the top. The ungroomed is better. Looks like probably too warm to make snow--inversion. Get it while you can.

Overnight temps in the coming days are high teens to low 20's - so they'll be blowing more snow for sure. At this point I'm not expecting any new (real) snow until 2021, just as a final exclamation point on 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Overnight temps in the coming days are high teens to low 20's - so they'll be blowing more snow for sure. At this point I'm not expecting any new (real) snow until 2021, just as a final exclamation point on 2020.
    They've been cold in truckee but depending on where on the hill you look hovering around freezing or even above. Hope you're right about them getting colder in days to come.
    https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/remotedata/

tonight's inside slider is going to knock out those inversions but it is going to be super windy up high for snowmaking next two nights anyway
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Well, due to capacity restrictions when you factor in what terrain is currently open, Squaw has postponed ski team by a week for the Mighty Mites and Shooting Stars (mainly the young kids.) My older son is in Devo, so looks like I'll be skiing with a 4 year old tomorrow...YAY?
    yeah skiing with a 4 year old sucks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607121622.453818.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	351175
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    It was around 10 years ago that access eased because you could approach by crossing the lake. Up until then it wasn't clear whether crossing the lake was considered trespassing or not. The buildings that stood were taken down and access was clarified and "opened up."

Then, about 5 years ago, Alpenglow's Backcountry festival started using ILP as a standard tour you could sign up for.

Finally, a few assholes like me who post photos of the lovely summit view did their share of selling the spot out. The Jones' Snowboards website featured the summit ridge as their splitboard page image. Even this year, they have Elena Height ripping skins from the summit for women's and splitboard pages.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Maybe the Backcounty Alliance or someone can put up signs at trailheads listing proper etiquette, on everything from parking to uphill travel, to dogs, to avalanches. Yeah, some people just don't give a shit, but a lot of people are just ignorant AF.
    I think this could definitely help the ones that are clueless and just plain don't know better.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    FIFY

awesome
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Interesting about Incline, I kind of forgot about the fact that it used to be private and that there used to actually be a lake there. In fact map apps still show a body of water being there.