Page 167 of 226 FirstFirst ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 5635
    Occasional poster Fogey went missing in Yosemite this weekend, hope his long history of moving though the mountains helps bring him home ☹️

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...4qQLNzg65jconE

I thought I recognized him…
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I hiked the 5 Lakes Trail today and drove up to AM to look around. No evidence of any active construction work except for one worker halfway up the trail where there was a taped off area on a knob, who told me he couldn't give a timeline for finishing the gondola but ask him anything else. I've been at Squaw to hike a couple of times in the last month and not much going on there either.

^***so glad they shut half of Alpine wary
    Last year to get started on that project. (Sarcasm ).

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Occasional poster Fogey went missing in Yosemite this weekend, hope his long history of moving though the mountains helps bring him home ☹️

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...4qQLNzg65jconE
    I'm headed to that zone next week, hope he turns up soon.. didn't know he was a mag

I’ve been thinking about fogey since seeing the notice on Monday(?). I’m hoping for the best

Wasn't he an old TeleTips guy (or am I thinking of someone else)? I read about him yesterday. Hoping he's near water and surviving whatever happened to him.

he was

as far as I remember

Yes. From ttips.

god damn it

Placer Country bans new short term rentals in North Lake Tahoe. Truckee bans newly permitted construction to be STRs but existing houses can still be converted to STR. So Placer's move is an escalation--hopefully Truckee will follow suit.

https://www.placer.ca.gov/7460/Place...rm-rental-perm

Meanwhile a guy renting the STR next door start screaming at my wife to stop looking at him when she took the dog out to piss in our yard. Seemed like someone having a mental health crisis. The other folks in the house seemed nice enough.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Placer Country bans new short term rentals in North Lake Tahoe. Truckee bans newly permitted construction to be STRs but existing houses can still be converted to STR. So Placer's move is an escalation--hopefully Truckee will follow suit.

https://www.placer.ca.gov/7460/Place...rm-rental-perm

Meanwhile a guy renting the STR next door start screaming at my wife to stop looking at him when she took the dog out to piss in our yard. Seemed like someone having a mental health crisis. The other folks in the house seemed nice enough.
    Great news placer county. Do you know if it's specifically a response to the housing crunch on this side of the crest? Or is it the same problem county-wide?

And that's kinda scary what happened to your wife. I hope you could get safety however you needed it, whether you involved police or not. Obviously that STR owner needs to be documented and reported. They sound awful.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Great news placer county. Do you know if it's specifically a response to the housing crunch on this side of the crest? Or is it the same problem county-wide?

And that's kinda scary what happened to your wife. I hope you could get safety however you needed it, whether you involved police or not. Obviously that STR owner needs to be documented and reported. They sound awful.
    According to the article (I know it's probably paywalled) it's a response to the housing crisis in the Tahoe region.

A moratorium is the right approach and a starting point. I got pretty deep into the weeds on this topic when I was in Ocean Beach, San Diego. Held an elected position representing my community on planning and land use issues. The numbers are staggering. The experience was depressing.

Some takeaways:
    • There is absolutely no housing regulation that would create more housing more quickly than smart STVR regulations. None. Zilch. Zero. I've looked at every proposed solution.
    • OB was shrinking by a resident every 36hrs. That means we would be down 1,000 since I relocated. Holy shit, I've been waiting for the 2020 census results and this is confirmed. OB is down from 13,518 residents in 2010 to 10,600 in 2020. A 21% decrease.
    • The housing crisis is 40% worse than shown on paper, because these lost units are hidden from view
    • Displacement breeds displacement. Those booted from Placer move to Reno, moving someone out of Reno, etc. A dwelling unit lost is lost to all...not just those lucky enough to live at the beaches or mountains
    • Residential zones were created in the 60s to avoid this exact issue. The internet didn't change that, just enabled a way to skirt existing regs and avoid enforcement.
    • AirBnB may be the single biggest lobbying group in San Diego in terms of dollars spent. I was once at a 12-hr City Council meeting where AirBnB/VRBO had brought an arsenal of 12 lawyers, and gave all the pro-STVR crowd lunches, special t-shirts, water bottles, etc. That crowd was mostly investors from North County. That meeting alone was well into the 6-figures in spending. This is also true elsewhere.
    • Boulder has what I consider to be the best policy in the nation related to STVRs, and the best enforcement scheme.
    • This Plant Money episode really helps underscore the scale of the problem. It is about New Orleans's experience.

Everyone likes a vacation at a beach house or ski house vacation. But it is simply not more important than ensuring our residents and countrymen have a place to call home. Boycott AirBnB.

Finally. Wish it happened sooner.

Any update on Fogey, missing while hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    STR permits are only required for homes in "eastern Placer County" over 5K feet. No one wants to vacation in Roseville or Auburn I guess.

meanwhile (not to take anything away from the placer county news, which is awesome IMO), there are very few days left for the October patch
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer 7 View Post
    Any update on Fogey, missing while hiking?
    Online search isn't turning up any news, good or otherwise. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    meanwhile (not to take anything away from the placer county news, which is awesome IMO), there are very few days left for the October patch
    Ufda ...... October came much too early this year.

Can anyone explain to me why it was allowed to burn in the beginning?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/23/us/ca...urn/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post

The FS released a statement on it about a week or two ago. It was deemed a low likelihood of spreading so they decided to monitor it and reserve resources for other fires that were occurring at the time.

Did you read the article you posted?

The policy of totally suppressing all fire for decades is largely why they are so big and hot now.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

It's probably paywalled (just like placer county press releases) but the article explains it.

-Fire seemed to be naturally contained
    -Access was difficult and hazardous
    -Resources were needed elsewhere
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

^ Yes, this. Short version is that they're playing the odds with limited resources. Oh, and Tom McClintock "demands to know"? Shouldn't he be asking why Alpine County residents didn't rake more?