Page 54 of 226 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 5635
    Dust on crust this morning on Proletariat, but still skied pretty well. Had maybe 4-5 inches, with deeper drifts on E/SE tops. Still rocky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7530.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	355689

Double post, but also just wanted to give a shoutout to Peter (? I forgot the username you told me). Nice to meet ya.

If anyone else see's me out there, say hey! I don't got the Ro no mo.

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	427.2 KB 
ID:	355699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg 
Size:	427.2 KB 
ID:	355699

ha yah bro - it was good skiing this morning. That was me, wobby. Very good this am on the untracked, crusty where ppl had been. Moon was epic too.

If anyone sees a one-poled skin track give me a shout - broke my hand in december and just steezy as hell in the backcountry these days

Whose the go to bootfitter to get modifications done to Grilamid? I finally found a good heal hold that doesn't leave me with ankle blisters, but the damn boots are just a tad too short and narrow.

I’d go with Sports Hub or Start Haus. Both shops have good bootfitters. The width issue should be no problem, but getting the length perfect on such a thin shell will be tricky.

Gov extends stay at home for Great Sac region until Saturday and then reassess if longer order needed.

They have said a longer order will be most likely be needed. The current projections are for capacity to get worse. Much worse.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Come here for the stoke and 411, so thanks to the many contributors. Here are some shots from last week skiing near a lake, a bigger lake and in the woods. Everyone have a safe and sane 2021.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

And the slow downgrade of next weeks storms has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Re: ASI...With all the decent tele skiers out there, why’d they pick a gaper shot ? ^^

Praying Mantis steeze like it’s 1985 lol.
    I learned to telemark in 1985 on a pair of Karhu xcd gt. They were 220 cm and the side cut was 62/54/59. “Praying mantis” is a good description of weight back, hands forward position attempting to avoid tip dive. The ankle high laced leather boots also added a level of difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleblade View Post
    I learned to telemark in 1985 on a pair of Karhu xcd gt. They were 220 cm and the side cut was 62/54/59. “Praying mantis” is a good description of weight back, hands forward position attempting to avoid tip dive. The ankle high laced leather boots also added a level of difficulty.
    Speaking of ASI, I got my first tele lessons from ASI's Bela Vadasz personally; that guy was a character, rest in peace. And hey, those Karhus (mine were 210s) were downright decent turning-wise, compared to some of the other stuff out there (cough, anything made at the time by Fischer).

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    And the slow downgrade of next weeks storms has begun.
    Ugh. Yup. National Weather Service actually started talking about these storms yesterday or a couple days ago and was hyping them up too, so I was actually getting my hopes up. Ah well. Monday seems to be holding up, next Friday will be a wash by tomorrow I’m guessing. Still holding out hope for Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cold temps kept the white soft and supple at The Star today.
    Wrapped 2020 by finding a stash of untracked at 3:10 off of West Ridge.
    Woot.
    Ripped it on some short 74 waisted stiffies to boot.
    Bring on 2021.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I heard firecrackers at 9PM last night, and some the night before. I guess people were in a hurry to be rid of 2020.

Went for a late night ski to Tamarack to enjoy the almost full moon. The ridge protected us from the east wind, the snow was surprisingly fun, and there was no shortage of whiskey. Happy New Year!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210101_071521837.NIGHT.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	355841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210101_071237426.NIGHT.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	355842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210101_074007545.NIGHT.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	355843

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I heard firecrackers at 9PM last night, and some the night before. I guess people were in a hurry to be rid of 2020.
    9PM is when the ball drops in NYC. Some of us old folk like to go to bed at a normal hour.
    Last edited by Ottime; 01-01-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Outstanding! Fuck you 2020!

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Heading through Hope Valley at 9:40 it was 17 degrees. At the top of our line at 10:30 it was 40. That escalated quickly. Super fun new (to me) zone though

Name:	IMG_6198.JPG 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	355900

has anyone ever showed up at the Carson Pass sno park at 11pm or so on a Friday night and found it full and nowhere to park? Does that happen?

I am having to rethink my daytripper strategy as it has become clear one my 12 year old boys cannot handle the altitude traveling from sea level to skiing above 8k in the same day, poor kid. Maybe sleeping him at elevation the night before would work.. We tried Ginko but it didn't help at all.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

you can usually find a spot

there are a couple other places to go

good on you for trying to figure it out dad
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

MP, I’d suggest the sno park at iron mountain. Still good elevation, but quite a bit warmer than the top of the pass.

I doubt you would ever find it full at 11pm

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    MP, I’d suggest the sno park at iron mountain. Still good elevation, but quite a bit warmer than the top of the pass.
    my spot

1/2 hour drive to CP proper
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Snow play in the Tahoe (truckee?) meadows above incline today was absolutely nutty. Ik we’ve already covered this but it was bumper to bumper, both sides of the road from the pull-out just west/south of the pass to the upper pull out for incline. I’m usually not a huge fan of snowmobiles, but man did I feel for the people there today trying to navigate the insane snow play crowd.

In my observations so far, I haven’t really seen a notable uptick compared to last year in backcountry use. With resorts still open, I’m doubtful that many people have made the jump from exclusively resort skiing to backcountry. I’m sure some people who did both are doing more backcountry skiing this year, but I haven’t noticed a huge difference. It seems the biggest difference is the crazy amounts of snow play I’ve seen, and snow play in random areas that I never really expected to see people sledding. Anyways, yeah covid is def getting more people to trailheads, but it doesn’t really seem like it’s getting that many more people in the backcountry

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is his problem shortness of breath or is he getting headaches or nausea? If shortness of breath, see below. If he's getting sick then you probably need to reconsider the program.

One night spent at altitude isn't going to acclimatize someone. People who have problems with altitude (like me) have the most problem while they're sleeping. Do you have a pulse oximeter--you know, the gadget to check for Covid. If so, check his O2 saturation at altitude and see if he is less saturated then the rest of the family. Part of the accommodation to altitude is to breath faster. As long as the person is able to maintain an adequate saturation they're OK, but some people are uncomfortable breathing that fast but can learn to tolerate it with practice. Think of football players getting oxygen after a long run--their saturations are fine but they feel distress because they're breathing fast, even though their breathing is meeting the body's need for oxygen.

If his saturation is lower--check at rest and then after exercise--then it's a no go. I'd want to see a saturation of at least 93. (Below 90 is a generally accepted number where sick people need to be given oxygen--generally accepted because medicare and insurance won't pay if it's higher.) That's not a scientifically supported number--I don't know that there is a scientifically supported number, but it's a number I would personally be comfortable with. There are drugs that help but I'd be reluctant to give them to a kid to help them ski.

BTW--the pulse oximeter won't be accurate if his fingers are cold--it will likely be low. (If it isn't low then he's good.)