Page 150 of 226 FirstFirst ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 5635
    ^^^I thought that traverse line was like a natural bench ya'll made for me. Sit down and set up camp.

At least you have a traverse line to have some when sit in and fuck up the traverse. At Vailwood, you can just switch to any of the other 84 traverse lines that they have made to get around said sitters. Just don't ski falling - it is too dangerous,

Thanks for the beta Old Goat. All depends on the overnight freeze I think. Not quite as warm this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You know Far East is closed, right?
    I'll try to check it out if I get there this week. I was there today but can't say if the track back to FE is covered. If it is the slush might make it more trouble than it's worth.
    FE didn't look great last time I was there but you can ski out to the ramp by the maintenance building at the north end of the lot. Even make it from Mountain Run if you stay high on the traverse.

Most of the parking around far east and the maintenance building is blocked off for gondola staging. Plus red dog and kt are done by this weekend. There has been US ski team training on last shirley run, so the salt should last.

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

did we get a hard freeze last night?

US ski team was training on #5 last week.

Far East parking area is closed for incoming B2B gondola.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    did we get a hard freeze last night?

No.
    And it is 75 right now in Truckee!
    I was gonna rally for a late afternoon schuss in the hood, but cracked a beer instead...

And the discussion of traversing reminds me that I created a term this season: "the traverse trap."
    It's when an inexperienced (And even an experienced) skier/boarder gets on a steep,pitch and then they traverse across the hill, effectively squaring up and getting locked into the traverse. It gives you too much time to outhink yourself and doesn't set you up for the next turn (i.e. you ain't countered) and then you get locked in the traverse, effectively being unable to make the next turn.
    Ya gotta commit to the turn, yo!

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ^^^^ yup was avoiding the new sticky white snow today and aiming for the stripped corny dirty.
    Incoming rant.......One of the realities of the COVID induced surge in bc/slackcountry Is that there’s a lot of folks with minimal skills gettin after it. Lotsa folks I saw at kwood on monday couldn’t buy a turn but they got that traverse shit down........some lift mileage is much needed by many. It’s actually dangerous how some of these traversers ride in winter conditions......essentially ski cutting instead of riding fall line causing the slope to rip out. I saw that exact scenario a couple times this year in the bc with fortunately no consequence..........end rant

And Gimpy, all good on the rant. I believe I talked about the dude who brought his wedge turning GF up to Sunrise Bowl a few months ago. I mean dude was introducing a beginner/low intermediate skier to backcountry action!!!
    In the scheme of BC spots on the North Shore, SRB is a green/blue level run, fwiw.

I won't even get into how many low level skiers I saw at The Star this season who were sporting top line A/T set-ups. One guy who left an impression on me, however, was on the widest DPS skis possible with what looked like ION bindings. When I asked him about the bindings his reply was "I have no idea what kind of bindings they are, but they have this really cool switch that allows you to walk in them..."

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Squaw used to do Dawn Patrol on Saturdays --show up at 7, tram to shirley by 8, futz around on Shirley until Silvy opens at 9 and get laps until the masses make it up there. Worth it on a powder day. You used to get one or two--I can't remember how many--with a pass or you could pay. Spots were limited--I think 2 tram loads. I assume spots will be limited with the new program--if not why bother.

Color flip

Skin to the top!

All the glop!

That's new

Looks like mid-July other years. Especially below 8k.

Road is cleared to summit on both sides but still gated at DA.

Looks like MFers scored sweet pow two days ago (and last week)
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

this looks like volcano. this looks like lassen. or something. devastated.

will admit that I did a dawn patrol at squaw on a powder day a few years back. Think I got 2 runs on shirley which put you at granite chief right at the pop, for another 2 bonus granite laps before the first g-pop tram load arrived. I think I paid about $70 bucks for it? I've definitely spent worse cash...

so will SV have beginner lessons up high in May?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    so will SV have beginner lessons up high in May?
    If they don't I'll teach you the pizza and the french fry. No charge.

god damn it

I have feelings too you know

I prefer "star destroyer" and "laser beams" over 'zza and fries...

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

^^^^€What if they never saw Star Wars. I have a friend I grew up with who won’t let his family watch Star Wars because he feels the message goes against Natural Law. I feel for this kids.

Quote Originally Posted by SP_7 View Post
    US ski team was training on #5 last week.

Far East parking area is closed for incoming B2B gondola.
    Thanks. This make the decision simple.

Anyone know if the Weasel/Yellow side of Alpine is burnt out? It is all showing as closed on their trail report. If that is the case, we might not do a Summit day this weekend. My kid won't ski if they won't let him down Hotwheels. Even if it is a dry creek bed.

do you ever just go skiing?

Looks like is KT and Headwall are dunzo for the season... I hope you didn't plan on them for this weekend. I am happy I got the fluff on Hard pack this past Monday.

From the Operations Blog:

With warming temperatures and diminishing snowpack, tomorrow (April 30) will be the last day of operations for KT-22 and Headwall this season. We’re stoked these favorite lifts have made it this far into the spring season, so come get in your final Mothership laps tomorrow!
    https://blog.squawalpine.com/operations/final-day-to-ski-kt-headwall-is-april-30/

"The unexamined life is not worth living."--Socrates

(It should be noted that he said that at his trial for, among other things, corrupting youth.)

Regarding Headwall--the blog says RT may or may not be open.

Shralpine was good for a few runs this morning before it got very sticky. Don’t think it froze last night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C3E0250-B24E-4890-9E3D-111E62CA3359.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	373135
    Sun Spot.

Name:	BB827177-E97B-45BC-8D4A-3E0DEC41BFD9.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	870.0 KB 
ID:	373136
    Wolverine bowl.

Name:	CB0A5967-76F4-4B89-BCB0-EBA39FAE37E6.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	634.8 KB 
ID:	373137
    Looking up towards Roundhouse.

Name:	F2126D31-1FBC-4A75-B00A-5268D5D3FC45.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	373138
    Big blue lake.
    Heading for Mammoth early tomorrow. Being able to salt the runs is a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Shralpine was good for a few runs this morning before it got very sticky. Don’t think it froze last night.
    I think it did a soft freeze last night above 7000.
    I was poking around at 7500 this afternoon and there was a thin film of ice in shaded areas.
    But the corn window right now is def 9-11 (I was skiing around 11:45 and while decent, it was definitely more like grits/cream cheese/Mr. Softee...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Anyone know if the Weasel/Yellow side of Alpine is burnt out? It is all showing as closed on their trail report. If that is the case, we might not do a Summit day this weekend. My kid won't ski if they won't let him down Hotwheels. Even if it is a dry creek bed.
    All terrain leading toward Weasel/HotWheels area is now closed and roped off. You can't go any farther east than Dance Floor aka Red. They've started removing snow from the base area on that side to prep for the ganjola terminal. So with equipment moving around, they dont want anyone skiing through there. All paths lead back to Summit.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

^^^thanks.

Why did Red ever become Dance Floor?

No. I plan. I’m not a dentist.I was a boy scout. Be prepared is pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Hart Gremlin View Post
    Looks like is KT and Headwall are dunzo for the season... I hope you didn't plan on them for this weekend. I am happy I got the fluff on Hard pack this past Monday.

From the Operations Blog:

With warming temperatures and diminishing snowpack, tomorrow (April 30) will be the last day of operations for KT-22 and Headwall this season. We’re stoked these favorite lifts have made it this far into the spring season, so come get in your final Mothership laps tomorrow!
    https://blog.squawalpine.com/operations/final-day-to-ski-kt-headwall-is-april-30/
    Their lift Ops page show them scheduled for toMorrow. One more day?

To be fair, if you had to drive from Santa Cruz you’d probably be the same way. That’s a haul, especially with kids in the back.

My biggest revelation living in Truckee (most of the time) is how blasé that has made me as a skier. Still got 55-60 days in despite the knee injury but the old version of myself could have had 70+ easy.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.