Page 65 of 226 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 5635
    ^^ Your skis that were stolen along highway 89? What's the story on getting them back?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Hey Maggots. Just booked a huge party house in Truckee for a maggot rally. PM me for details. This shit is gonna be twisted.

Is it fun to ski in the rain?
    Not me. I'm going back to bed.
    Schadenfreude much?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Your skis that were stolen along highway 89? What's the story on getting them back?
    Yep, the very same.

Background: I left them up a ways on the snowbank at Deep Creek, next to the trailhead there. Was hitching a ride to Pole Creek and the guy didn't have space in his sedan, so they were there for about 5 minutes in view of the highway (I guess this was my mistake and lesson learned). Came back to no skis.

Fast forward 2 years, and my buddy sent me a text with the FB marketplace post for my skis! They are pretty unmistakable as not a lot of people have 10-year old 193 Bentchetlers, center mounted with dynafit beasts. Guy selling them was from Squaw, so that checked out too.

I wasn't sure what I'd have to do to get them back, but I immediately sent him a message saying that I wanted to meet up and was super interested in buying the skis. Met up at the Truckee DMV the next afternoon, and I knew 100% that those were mine. Could see the repairs I had done, markings for the mount, etc.

Guy was actually super cool, and said his 70-yo neighbor picked them up 2 years ago and basically described the situation (idk if that could have been anyone on here or not). I have a hard time imagining his neighbor wanted those skis, so he picked them up from him and (I think) skied a little bit. Might be a weird feeling setup for most folks, so naturally a sale was in order.

I told him they were my stix, and of course it was super obvious at that point. Had the poster I made when they went missing too, so I pulled that up for proof. Buddy was super apologetic and offered to give them back with nothing further needed! I can't say that I expected it to go that well, but was happy that it did.

In exchange for 2 years of storage, I got a great wax and tune out of the deal. So thats something at least. Thanks for being cool!

Final rant though: if you find a reasonably nice pair of skis somewhere in broad daylight (especially at noon near a trailhead), there is a very good chance that person will be coming back. Even if they left them by accident. And at the very least post up online or something. I you really have the right intentions, just do something to try and reconnect the skis to their owner. Its freaking 2021, you know how many outlets there might be to connect someone with their skis??? I checked the internet like everyday for months. /endrant

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Yep, the very same.

Background: I left them up a ways on the snowbank at Deep Creek, next to the trailhead there. Was hitching a ride to Pole Creek and the guy didn't have space in his sedan, so they were there for about 5 minutes in view of the highway (I guess this was my mistake and lesson learned). Came back to no skis.

Fast forward 2 years, and my buddy sent me a text with the FB marketplace post for my skis! They are pretty unmistakable as not a lot of people have 10-year old 193 Bentchetlers, center mounted with dynafit beasts. Guy selling them was from Squaw, so that checked out too.

I wasn't sure what I'd have to do to get them back, but I immediately sent him a message saying that I wanted to meet up and was super interested in buying the skis. Met up at the Truckee DMV the next afternoon, and I knew 100% that those were mine. Could see the repairs I had done, markings for the mount, etc.

Guy was actually super cool, and said his 70-yo neighbor picked them up 2 years ago and basically described the situation (idk if that could have been anyone on here or not). I have a hard time imagining his neighbor wanted those skis, so he picked them up from him and (I think) skied a little bit. Might be a weird feeling setup for most folks, so naturally a sale was in order.

I told him they were my stix, and of course it was super obvious at that point. Had the poster I made when they went missing too, so I pulled that up for proof. Buddy was super apologetic and offered to give them back with nothing further needed! I can't say that I expected it to go that well, but was happy that it did.

In exchange for 2 years of storage, I got a great wax and tune out of the deal. So thats something at least. Thanks for being cool!

Final rant though: if you find a reasonably nice pair of skis somewhere in broad daylight (especially at noon near a trailhead), there is a very good chance that person will be coming back. Even if they left them by accident. And at the very least post up online or something. I you really have the right intentions, just do something to try and reconnect the skis to their owner. Its freaking 2021, you know how many outlets there might be to connect someone with their skis??? I checked the internet like everyday for months. /endrant
    The 70 year old neighbor wasn't me. I swear.

Airbnb is canceling all DC reservations for Inauguration Week. If we want to shut down strs and hotels again all we have to do is make up a white supremacist rally in Truckee/Tahoe. (The NHL is playing 2 outdoor games in Stateline, which would qualify, but not until Feb.)
    Last edited by old goat; 01-13-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not me. I'm going back to bed.
    Schadenfreude much?
    Not really. I like skiing in the rain. Snow is soft. It is the next morning I try to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Not really. I like skiing in the rain. Snow is soft. It is the next morning I try to avoid.
    I'm about to find out, but since temps stayed above freezing at all elevations at Squalpine last night, maybe still soft.
    "Near record highs" forecast by the NWS.
    It's not Junuary any more, more like Julyuary
    Last edited by old goat; 01-14-2021 at 02:52 PM.

25* at the base of Squaw right now, 40* up high. Inversion.

As homie jrf said about the snow yesterday, "rain-soaked-butter." Skied awesome in highly-trafficked areas. Off piste areas with less traffic were isothermic.

Possibly insta-corn this afternoon where it did freeze?

Lots more rocks poking out than just a week ago. Moar snowz please

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    25* at the base of Squaw right now, 40* up high. Inversion.

As homie jrf said about the snow yesterday, "rain-soaked-butter." Skied awesome in highly-trafficked areas. Off piste areas with less traffic were isothermic.

Possibly insta-corn this afternoon where it did freeze?

Lots more rocks poking out than just a week ago. Moar snowz please

Those rocks are just freshly are washed off. Chokes I'm sure are scraped and flushed for the most part. Everywhere needs a good three feet to bring it back on. I'm boycotting even considering skiing until then. At least the biking is great.

Love the rain soaked butter. It almost skis like a spring day. More traffic, more better. Less traffic, you better be in the drivers seat.

Slush Pow is a work out for sure.

Due to planned insurrection in Truckee this weekend, I am cancelling my party house. I don't want to be any part of that mess.

EDIT: I see your pics in my quote, but not your post. Magic? Was it clear all day or socked in early?

Drizzling until 1:30 per the webcam. Still misting at 1:30 when I showed up. Sun came out at 2:00.

Gotta love KT power hour!

sproing!

The glaze on the webcams this morning is memorizing...

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Drizzling until 1:30 per the webcam. Still misting at 1:30 when I showed up. Sun came out at 2:00.

Gotta love KT power hour!

Recognize the jacket......saw u yest coming off Red Dog face towards Far East......maybe. I could be mistaken. I’ll shout at u next time for some turns......

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Small window today at Squaw. Best run of day was Kitchen Wall to SunBowl around 1130. Great carvable snow on the Wall. After that off piste started to get heavy anywhere in the sun.

Let's hope winter isn't over cuz spring skiing arrived with a bang the last two days. Slushy snow top to bottom at Rose on Wednesday and Alpine yesterday (Thurs). Skiing was still fun as its that more granular type slush, not the super sticky glop that you can't move thru. Here's a few pics.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3971.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	358017
    Slide side at Rose late in the day on Wednesday. The Good-no one around in the afternoon.

Name:	IMG_3974.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	952.4 KB 
ID:	358019
    The Bad-Lots of bare spots starting to show. Looks like mid April, not mid January.

Name:	IMG_3985.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	358021
    Yesterday at Alpine. Corn cycle+ was in effect.

Name:	IMG_3983.jpg 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	358024
    If you followed the sun around the skiing stayed good in spots til the end of the day. The West facing groomers off the Scott Chair had late afternoon sun and stayed smooth and skied well til closing.

Name:	IMG_3986.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	675.4 KB 
ID:	358025
    This might have been the highlight of my day. Watched these kooks blatantly duck the closure into Scott chute (which looked & sounded shitty) and patrol was waiting at the bottom to collect their passes. Sounds like they got a two week time out. Nice.

I'm headed back out before the weekend crowds arrive. Enjoy what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

The Bad-Lots of bare spots starting to show. Looks like mid April, not mid January.
    wow

Name:  IMG_1939.JPG
Views: 790
Size:  85.3 KB

This just popped up in my FB feed....10 years ago today. Alpine parking lot.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

^^ That will forever go down as the best year ever. It was just 8-16 inches of snow one day after another... lifts weren’t getting shut down much, it was amazing. Recession in effect so the lines weren’t bad, either.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

what’s the story on buddy tickets at KW?

despite my best instincts, I’m considering skiing there Sun Mon to meet up with a woman I met recently
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

^^ That will forever go down as the best year ever. It was just 8-16 inches of snow one day after another... lifts weren’t getting shut down much, it was amazing. Recession in effect so the lines weren’t bad, either.
    Yeah I remember feeling guilty for praying for a reprieve because of the constant driveway clearing. Nothin better than being in the tube storm after storm......was hard to go to work because it was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Let's hope winter isn't over cuz spring skiing arrived with a bang the last two days. Slushy snow top to bottom at Rose on Wednesday and Alpine yesterday (Thurs). Skiing was still fun as its that more granular type slush, not the super sticky glop that you can't move thru. Here's a few pics.....

Name:	IMG_3971.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	358017
    Slide side at Rose late in the day on Wednesday. The Good-no one around in the afternoon.

Name:	IMG_3985.jpg 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	358021
    Yesterday at Alpine. Corn cycle+ was in effect.

Name:	IMG_3983.jpg 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	358024
    If you followed the sun around the skiing stayed good in spots til the end of the day. The West facing groomers off the Scott Chair had late afternoon sun and stayed smooth and skied well til closing.

Name:	IMG_3986.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	675.4 KB 
ID:	358025
    This might have been the highlight of my day. Watched these kooks blatantly duck the closure into Scott chute (which looked & sounded shitty) and patrol was waiting at the bottom to collect their passes. Sounds like they got a two week time out. Nice.

I'm headed back out before the weekend crowds arrive. Enjoy what we got.
    So they are not allowed to ski until we get some fresh snow? Brutal.

It rained on January 2nd that year and glazed things over pretty bad. Did not snow again until just about President’s Weekend and the. Was non stop until June. Luckily the surf cranked for that 5 week lull between winters.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

despite my best instincts, I’m considering skiing there Sun Mon to meet up with a woman I met recently
    Not sure as I’m not epic but they were about $85 last season. I believe your buddy needs to buy and reserve your ticket online this year. No blackouts so Sunday should be pretty packed. Monday not as much or at least the crowd will drive home starting mid day. Why not aim for Saturday, when due to blackout, it will be way less crowded?

Why even care about buddy tix sitch or Wood crowds?!

to meet up with a woman

I was told that they are $81. No matter the day.
    You have to have your reservation, make one for them under your name, then pick up the buddy ticket in the morning.
    Or something like that.

copy that

it’s just that paying too much for crap skiing with a million gapers doesn’t sound like the best first date, but certainly not the worst either

trying to convince her to tour Sunday and KW Monday
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Skiing’s the easy part, Karl.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.