Page 145 of 226 FirstFirst ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 5635
    The key is building the kinds of housing that rich folks don't want--small or even tiny barebones units in dense multifamily high rise units with minimal greenspace (the greenspace is all around us, why do we need it next to our houses?) and no view. Change zoning to only allow that kind of housing to be built; stop allowing new big houses on huge lots. If the new housing needs to be deed restricted to someone with a job in Truckee (WFH doesn't count) so be it. If it needs to be subsidized to get it to pencil out, raise the TOT, give a break on fees. (It used to be that the permit fees were per unit--a 500 sf condo and a 5000 sf McMansion paid the same. I don't know if they've changed that yet.) If it needs to be subsidized to be affordable raise the TOT some more. (At some point maybe that will convince some folks to stop STRing and start LTRing.)

Housing costs are absolutely driven by supply and demand. Build more houses that only the local workforce will demand and you solve both sides of the equation. Meanwhile let the prices of more attractive vacation houses go through the roof due to no increase in supply.

There is more affordable housing recently or being built in Truckee than ever before, so it must make economic sense to someone. We just need more.

By high rise I mean up to four, maybe 5 stories. Plenty of 4 story single family houses on the hillside near me, 4 stories in front at least.

The resort housing issue is real, just not today for me...
    I'm looking at getting out for a tour tomorrow...
    'Not many posts on skiing the last couple days.
    Has last week's snow consolidated?
    I would guess it might still be a crust over soft over solid base...?
    In short, how's the snow? which aspect is ripening best?

Who here would or even can live in a "--small or even tiny barebones units in dense multifamily high rise units with minimal greenspace..."

The problem I see is that the lack of storage and available space doesn't work for exactly who needs housing most:
    A) working families with a number of kids
    B) single/dink mountain folks with a normal amount of mountain lifestyle gear.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Who here would or even can live in a "--small or even tiny barebones units in dense multifamily high rise units with minimal greenspace..."

The problem I see is that the lack of storage and available space doesn't work for exactly who needs housing most:
    A) working families with a number of kids
    B) single/dink mountain folks with a normal amount of mountain lifestyle gear.
    Millions of people in this country, billions in the world live like that. My kid and his fiancee in Boston, skiers/hikers/ice climbers live in 500sf. How many people here are living in rentals with multiple other adults, with less personal space? Some may choose to commute from Reno to have more space (not that housing is cheap and readily available in Reno) but plenty will make do to actually live here and not just work here. They might have to get by with a (horrors!) 1 ski 1 bike quiver.

What a difference a year, a pandemic, and warm weather make.
    This time last year you could not get within 100 feet of any of the easy access side/backcountry spots here in Truckee.
    Today I hit up SRB at 11 and it was empty. Not a single vehicle in either of the turnouts on Ski Slope and nobody parked up on Glacier (there were about 4 vehicles in the Glacier picnic parking, though).
    Only saw a couple snowshoeing with their dog during my skin up.
    NW aspects were still firm at Will Kane's hour of dread, but E facing was sweet corn at 1.
    It was nice to have the whole area to myself.
    Wondering if the warm temps, lack of new snow, and an earlier Easter have folks staying home...not that I mind...
    Traffic on NW last night was unseasonably light, too. And the STR next door is empty for the first time in awhile (usually there are 20+ people there on a typical weekend). Second home owners from the Bay Area on the other side of me are noticeably absent, as well.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The key is building the kinds of housing that rich folks don't want--small or even tiny barebones units in dense multifamily high rise units with minimal greenspace (the greenspace is all around us, why do we need it next to our houses?) and no view. Change zoning to only allow that kind of housing to be built; stop allowing new big houses on huge lots. If the new housing needs to be deed restricted to someone with a job in Truckee (WFH doesn't count) so be it. If it needs to be subsidized to get it to pencil out, raise the TOT, give a break on fees. (It used to be that the permit fees were per unit--a 500 sf condo and a 5000 sf McMansion paid the same. I don't know if they've changed that yet.) If it needs to be subsidized to be affordable raise the TOT some more. (At some point maybe that will convince some folks to stop STRing and start LTRing.)

Housing costs are absolutely driven by supply and demand. Build more houses that only the local workforce will demand and you solve both sides of the equation. Meanwhile let the prices of more attractive vacation houses go through the roof due to no increase in supply.

There is more affordable housing recently or being built in Truckee than ever before, so it must make economic sense to someone. We just need more.

By high rise I mean up to four, maybe 5 stories. Plenty of 4 story single family houses on the hillside near me, 4 stories in front at least.
    I like the no view clause. Ya almost need to put up a billboard to build anywhere. Almost every thing is a view up there.

Quote Originally Posted by tony3 View Post
    The resort housing issue is real, just not today for me...
    I'm looking at getting out for a tour tomorrow...
    'Not many posts on skiing the last couple days.
    Has last week's snow consolidated?
    I would guess it might still be a crust over soft over solid base...?
    In short, how's the snow? which aspect is ripening best?
    We are busy discussing the housing crunch. Someone will be with you shortly to discuss your off topic question. Thank you for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    What a difference a year, a pandemic, and warm weather make.
    This time last year you could not get within 100 feet of any of the easy access side/backcountry spots here in Truckee.
    Today I hit up SRB at 11 and it was empty. Not a single vehicle in either of the turnouts on Ski Slope and nobody parked up on Glacier (there were about 4 vehicles in the Glacier picnic parking, though).
    Only saw a couple snowshoeing with their dog during my skin up.
    NW aspects were still firm at Will Kane's hour of dread, but E facing was sweet corn at 1.
    It was nice to have the whole area to myself.
    Wondering if the warm temps, lack of new snow, and an earlier Easter have folks staying home...not that I mind...
    Traffic on NW last night was unseasonably light, too. And the SRT next door is empty for the first time in awhile (usually there are 20+ people there on a typical weekend). Second home owners from the Bay Area on the other side of me are noticeably absent, as well.
    I think a lot of kids are returning to in person school at increasing rates. That would keep families away. Song with the early Easter. Or they are just getting their boats out down in the valley. Like they do every April.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Not to mention the skiing last April was a hell of a lot better than it is right now. No FOMO here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1618699714.157417.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	534.2 KB 
ID:	371876

Pretty sure this spot is bare dirt right now.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I though I missed an announcement and alpine was closed this morning when I pulled into the lot due to lack of cars and summit not spinning (wind hold).

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I though I missed an announcement and alpine was closed this morning when I pulled into the lot due to lack of cars and summit not spinning (wind hold).
    It was surprisingly windy today up on Donner Ridge, too.

And friend of mine went to NS at 11 and said the lot was only sporadically full up to section G...

All the people who were packing the BC parking earlier this winter were noobs who were buried by avalanches or in tree wells. They should start turning up soon as the snow continues to melt. Obviously their cars were towed and no one missed them.

windy as hell out on Andesite today
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

The key is building the kinds of housing that rich folks don't want--small or even tiny barebones units in dense multifamily high rise units with minimal greenspace
    You have to also ban STRing those units and it wouldn't hurt to require that they are owner occupied a majority of the year. The enforcement of that last reg is pretty spotty other places that have it tho. Otherwise there's still nothing to prevent those with the means from buying the units and renting to those of lesser means so the same situation but different view.

I will agree that two skiers/bikers/climbers/paddlers can make a 800sf apartment work. Ask XXX-er.

And bitching about the challenges of ski town living sure makes me appreciate skiing.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

[QUOTE=old goat;6295821]Millions of people in this country, billions in the world live like that. My kid and his fiancee in Boston, skiers/hikers/ice climbers live in 500sf. How many people here are living in rentals with multiple other adults, with less personal space? Some may choose to commute from Reno to have more space (not that housing is cheap and readily available in Reno) but plenty will make do to actually live here and not just work here. They might have to get by with a (horrors!) 1 ski 1 bike quiver.[/QUOTE

Never mind. Wrong thread
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Anyone have beta on how far they've plowed the east side of Ebbetts (and/or possible opening date)? Thinking about a (road) bike trip before the pass opens to cars. From Caltrans Facebook it looks like they've reached the summit on Sonora but not clear about Ebbetts.

The key is building the kinds of housing that rich folks don't want ... Change zoning to only allow that kind of housing to be built; stop allowing new big houses on huge lots.

If it needs to be subsidized to get it to pencil out, raise the TOT, give a break on fees. If it needs to be subsidized to be affordable raise the TOT some more. (At some point maybe that will convince some folks to stop STRing and start LTRing.)

I wholeheartedly agree with Old Goat.

There is a hard limit on how many more homes can be built within the Tahoe basin. Once that limit is reached, new construction becomes impossible. Then, the remaining properties will immediately become unaffordable to anyone but the millionaires. The smaller residences, duplexes, etc, will soon be torn down and rebuilt as million dollar McMansions. The local resident community will wither and die at the hands of the wealthy second homeowners.

Local housing needs to be for locals. That means limiting the construction of these 10 bedrooms palaces, and subsiding more sensible and appropriate apartment buildings, with rent control.

I believe that this community would benefit greatly if there were a total ban on all STR's throughout the entire region.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Anyone have beta on how far they've plowed the east side of Ebbetts (and/or possible opening date)? Thinking about a (road) bike trip before the pass opens to cars. From Caltrans Facebook it looks like they've reached the summit on Sonora but not clear about Ebbetts.
    Seen photos 8 days ago from a bud that made it to Kinney reservoir via bike, would think there getting close to having it all cleared

Name:	736C25B2-5B62-4CE0-AB99-D3D2057F34EA.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	371919
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-18-2021 at 10:11 AM.

There is in fact skiing to be done. Friday had sheltered pow but the wind blew it away, packed it down and the sun firmed it up.

Name:	PXL_20210416_201737340.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	371921

Name:	PXL_20210416_201956764.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	953.4 KB 
ID:	371922

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    It's cleared to the top, according to a guy I follow on Strava who rides it more than anyone else I know.

Monitor is open but really never busy. I think it's at least as good of a road ride. Go from Topaz to Ebbetts and back for the full meal deal.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Take your skis, too.
    The schussing on both of those passes ain't too shabby, either.

Skiing conditions are banging right now.......new snow is melted in already and the corn is primo and still pow in steep shady zones in the lee. Fired up for the northern Sierra passes to open
    Today we just hitting heave closing day

Thanks TahoeBC and climberevan! Now to find time to get down there before they open the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Skiing conditions are banging right now.......new snow is melted in already and the corn is primo and still pow in steep shady zones in the lee.
    Damnit. So much for my no FOMO theory.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.