Page 112 of 226 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 5635
    Kirkwood much better today. Backside was pretty darn good; the front breakable crust. Great day and shout out to @WildBill. for showing us around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KW1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	740.6 KB 
ID:	363846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kw2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	363847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kw3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	682.2 KB 
ID:	363848  

This could be why Daiek was backing away from things recently...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLftU5dJ..._web_copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    This could be why Daiek was backing away from things recently...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLftU5dJ..._web_copy_link
    Yeah, a close call like that will camp out in your consciousness for a while.

This slide and the huckin snowboarder were both the same cycle and both slides were triggered in the first turn in the video. That says to me they didn't really do much of a ski cut or other safety ski. You have to test the slope you're on. I don't think they even bothered with a handpit. The primary problem those days was poorly-bonded windslab a foot deep and that is not difficult to find with a handpit. Maybe pro instagrammers need to project an image and can't even have mouse tracks on a slope before they shred, but a weighted/escapable turn at the top of the slab is so easy. He's lucky he had an escape after his tips crossed the fall line and it released.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

It doesn't mention it there, but after he skied down was when his buddy skied the same line and some hangfire released, forcing him to send a 100' cliff. That was the longline out of blue lakes that day.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    It doesn't mention it there, but after he skied down was when his buddy skied the same line and some hangfire released, forcing him to send a 100' cliff. That was the longline out of blue lakes that day.
    There's still no report on SAC about that other than there was an avalanche and someone was buried and hurt.

I have woken up early looked out the window and.
    It's snowing. Snowing pretty good. No wind.

I guess it's going to be a Saturday powder day.
    And all that entails.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...ear-blue-lakes

Tahoe has a storied tradition of pro skiers being involved in avalanches and not bothering with a proper write up for the SAC. I get it, sort of, but kind of disappointing.

I really don't get it at all.

5" in east Meyers
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

That is one of the most cryptic avy obs I have read. “Somewhere near blue lakes.” What? Also it says posted by public, but it reads like someone at SAC wrote it up?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I heard about the Blue Lakes accident through the grapevine right after it happened, and my sources doubted it would be properly reported as well.

Making mistakes like that is not a good look right after you've made a big deal out of how you've learned from your previous mistakes and now are a wise and careful person.

The 'Gram is an unforgiving master. As long as we reward people for getting the great shot (and taking the big risks necessary to do so), they will line up to give us what we want. No one wants to watch videos of me making hippie turns on some obscure 31 degree slope.

Sent from my SM-P610 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

The lack of reporting using proper channels in these incidents is very disappointing. Doing a full write up for your local avalanche center is a way for the community to try and understand the thought process that led to a poor decision and learn from other peoples mistakes. The fact that the snowboarder and skier posted their avalanche videos on social media but didn’t take the time to submit an ob to the SAC is a sign that something is clearly being missed by people. They say they were ‘humbled’ by the experience, well take a step back then. Instead you let your buddy drop after and trigger hang fire then get airlifted out? And somehow that part doesn’t make it into your post on the gram? Sounds like he may need a lesson on humility.

Gotta look after the brand.
    If you slay a big line and you don't post it on social media did it really happen?

I really don't get it at all.

5" in east Meyers
    I just mean I understand that a big name pro skier will get about 100x the amount of flack for his poor decision than your average joe. Still, he should have posted this the same day and reported to SAC. Look how many incidents happened *after* that, right?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I could ramble on for awhile about my opinions on that incident and why it wasn’t reported..... but someone already nailed the gist of it.....all about the brand maaaaaaan. One of his most trusted bc partners won’t even ride with him anymore.....not gonna name names so please don’t try to guess. Rumor has it they were poaching past the wilderness boundaries with their sleds that day and that’s the reason given why no real report.......which is fucking lame anyway you shake it. Then, not mentioning the accident in his ig post showing him escaping the slide is lame too. If he hadn’t happened to be turning left when that thing ripped......prolly a different result ending not so well.
    #fuckthebrand

thanks gimpy
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I could ramble on for awhile about my opinions on that incident and why it wasn’t reported..... but someone already nailed the gist of it.....all about the brand maaaaaaan. One of his most trusted bc partners won’t even ride with him anymore.....not gonna name names so please don’t try to guess. Rumor has it they were poaching past the wilderness boundaries with their sleds that day and that’s the reason given why no real report.......which is fucking lame anyway you shake it. Then, not mentioning the accident in his ig post showing him escaping the slide is lame too. If he hadn’t happened to be turning left when that thing ripped......prolly a different result ending not so well.
    #fuckthebrand
    That's exactly what i thought, he was lucky that he was turning left.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

thanks gimpy. nailed it.

the brand...

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    #fuckthebrand
    I can always find at least a little space for understanding bad terrain/avy decisions, I mean, it happens. But the other things here... not so much. Wonder how his sponsors feel about mechanized travel in wilderness areas. Maybe not so great for the #brand.

Sneaker day @ Squaw this morning:

Headwall was awesome first thing. Need more snow. Bummer this is last refresh for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Sneaker day @ Squaw this morning:

Headwall was awesome first thing. Need more snow. Bummer this is last refresh for awhile.
    Looking at the tracks. I would not complain.

We're you smacking and scraping the hard under
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Miracle March?!? A little atmospheric river and Tonopah lows sprinkled in could give us some needed psychotropic love.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I agree on Headwall as long as you stayed in the un-skied snow to avoid the ice. Three laps and then the line blew up and moved on.

Just to be clear, there is no obligation for anyone to report anything to the avy center. None. Not to satisfy your curiosities, not so you can get inside someone's head and know what they were thinking, not so you can learn something from someone doing something you weren't doing yourself. Yeah, it's nice when slides are reported and you can get a sense of what is happening in the snowpack, but no one owes that to you and you aren't doing yourself any favors if you are basing your decisions and line choices on what other people are doing.

I had 3rd chair on KT. I got there early to Squaw coz I feared the 89 rush the last few powder days. So I decided to stand in line at 7:50am. I hit Cornice Bowl first run (went down to Headwall lift) which was great. Then Sun Bowl, a mistake, ice craters under the dust the whole way down. I decided to salvage that run and had fresh tracks in Hourglass. I then did Sibo Ridge (great) then headed to Solitude (also great). Then back to Squaw One twice to traverse near Headwall (both great but hit ice twice in the same spot but early in the run right after the traverse). So yeah you couldn't ignore what you were skiing today but if you paid attention it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Looking at the tracks. I would not complain.

We're you smacking and scraping the hard under

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Just to be clear, there is no obligation for anyone to report anything to the avy center. None. Not to satisfy your curiosities, not so you can get inside someone's head and know what they were thinking, not so you can learn something from someone doing something you weren't doing yourself. Yeah, it's nice when slides are reported and you can get a sense of what is happening in the snowpack, but no one owes that to you and you aren't doing yourself any favors if you are basing your decisions and line choices on what other people are doing.
    Just to be clear, sometimes people do things because it's the right thing to do, not because they are obligated to do it. I realize this is an archaic and discredited concept but it still has its uses from time to time. I do realize that the pro skiing gods stand above and apart from the community and are obligated only to impress and humble the rest of us.