Page 213 of 226 FirstFirst ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Dibs

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk
    PM sent

Don't you think you should save one for when there's a 'heightened danger of avalanche in recently burned areas' closure??

(the answer to that question is "No, because no self respecting powdork would touch that swill.")
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Don't you think you should save one for when there's a 'heightened danger of avalanche in recently burned areas' closure??

(the answer to that question is "No, because no self respecting powdork would touch that swill.")
    When you lose the bet--I like Anchor Steam California Lager. No IPA for me thanks. And you don't have to worry, the swill just drove off.

It was nice taking a little jaunt up Mt Judah Friday--between a week's worth of wedding stuff and then the closure I went too long without hiking.
    Last edited by old goat; 09-19-2021 at 12:38 PM.

December is not winter in Tahoe. Winter starts some time in January or February and runs till late March or early April. So that is a fall closure. Seriously, how may times have we not had a snowpack at Christmas in the last decade? Half the years?

Rained down on the coast last night. Like just a tiny bit, but enough to wet the surfaces.

Wow that's a lot of white claw. I don't know what I expected when you said 4 cases. If anyone wants to drink white claw in Palisades Tahoe Olympic valley base area this winter let me know. I now have a 6 month supply.
    Thanks old goat

Mopping up on division R of the Caldor Fire. Much cooler temps today with light precipitation over the fire earlier. Bad news is winds are forecast to build with red flag warnings being hoisted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E377509-EB42-4680-9B12-4B2F19F85ED9.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	668.7 KB 
ID:	385914
    Kirkwood appears to have gotten through the fire with zero impact so far.

Name:	5FD79215-C9E5-42C8-8C4B-D094169A8728.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	385915
    Morning briefing was at Heavenly with a great view looking straight up Gun Barrel.

Name:	E31F49ED-41E4-42E3-B0D0-EF911D833BC5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	805.0 KB 
ID:	385917
    Most of the fire activity is interior islands torching off. This one is visible from HWY 88 and we’ve been parked on the side of it talking with the public all day.

Name:	0AF3EDDE-F1B6-472B-B97B-C4DC0237D373.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	627.9 KB 
ID:	385918
    Found an abandoned ski are on Hwy 88.

Name:	B0184A08-644C-49BA-9633-05287254F8B7.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	981.3 KB 
ID:	385919
    Anyone know the history of it?

Can’t wait for fire season to end. Every year they seem to get longer and longer. Pray for snow! Peace.

It would be nice if the USFS could use funds generated from ski area special use permits to clean up long abandoned ski areas such as this eyesore. Keep it simple. Demo buildings and lifts and let mother nature do the rest. I realize it is a pipe dream, and not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Wow that's a lot of white claw. I don't know what I expected when you said 4 cases. If anyone wants to drink white claw in Palisades Tahoe Olympic valley base area this winter let me know. I now have a 6 month supply.
    Thanks old goat

Maybe El Chupacabra would still like some.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Iron Mountain hosted our high school race camp for years when I spent time there in the early 90’s. A fun “park at the top” mountain.

My brother, Splat and I had a disastrous photo shoot at the closed/defunct mountain with a clueless owner, circa ‘99ish.

Good memories of that place!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Maybe El Chupacabra would still like some.
    Pm sent El Chupacabra

Bring your plants in tonight if you didn't already.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
    It would be nice if the USFS could use funds generated from ski area special use permits to clean up long abandoned ski areas such as this eyesore. Keep it simple. Demo buildings and lifts and let mother nature do the rest. I realize it is a pipe dream, and not going to happen.
    I like seeing the remains from the past
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Does anyone know anything about the abandoned ski lift near the South Lake Tahoe high school? Looks like an old T-bar. I assume it was called "Tahoe Mountain", but after searching for an hour I couldn't find anything.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Fwiw, woke up sometime around 4 am this morning and the power was out. Figured somebody didn't get the memo. Came back on around 9.
    (I am kinda guessing on times as all my clocks were out and I couldn't find my phone in the dark).
    Also, seems as if it rained a tad overnight, too, as my decks were wet this morning.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Fwiw, woke up sometime around 4 am this morning and the power was out. Figured somebody didn't get the memo. Came back on around 9.
    (I am kinda guessing on times as all my clocks were out and I couldn't find my phone in the dark).
    Also, seems as if it rained a tad overnight, too, as my decks were wet this morning.
    Shit. It’s cold up your way. That must have sucked a bit. Extra blankets.to add. I have not been able to find a line on a couple cords of wood. It’s almost October and I don’t have anything to burn this winter
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    The outage was mostly Tahoe Donner and Donner Lake according to the outage map. So not a a planned outage.

If someone wants to see a real old ski lift--there's the remains of an old rope tow near the Cottonwood in Truckee, and isn't there also one at the Deer Park parking at AM?

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Shit. It’s cold up your way. That must have sucked a bit. Extra blankets.to add. I have not been able to find a line on a couple cords of wood. It’s almost October and I don’t have anything to burn this winter
    Funny, I don't think it's been cold yet at night. I am still sleeping with a sheet as cover.

The outage was mostly Tahoe Donner and Donner Lake according to the outage map. So not a a planned outage.
    Oh, I know it wasn't planned, just ironic. And y'all's sarcasm meters need a re-charge.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

If someone wants to see a real old ski lift--there's the remains of an old rope tow near the Cottonwood in Truckee, and isn't there also one at the Deer Park parking at AM?
    There’s only a few lift shacks left from what I’ve seen at deer park. I lived in the apartments at the base for about 5 years, and toured there a fair bit. The shack gets buried pretty regularly. Having 300 ft very of cut runs just below an angle to warrant avalanche terrain was awesome on busy weekends. Living in what was a hotel room built decades ago was not. At least it was cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the abandoned ski lift near the South Lake Tahoe high school? Looks like an old T-bar. I assume it was called "Tahoe Mountain", but after searching for an hour I couldn't find anything.
    I've checked that out too and last time I thought I found an answer. Is the ropes course still there too?

Either way i just spent an hour checking out old resorts on skimap.org just in Cali and could easily spend longer.

Tonight is supposed to be the first coldish one. Deer Park caught my eye too.

Hey Ya'll,

Reading all the fire updates here has been so helpful for info... but I also feel helpless knowing that brave firefighters are risking their butts to save us while I'm sitting here safe behind a screen. I don't like feeling useless, so trying to do what I can here:

I run a sunglasses company (Sunski) and one of our flagship products is a glacier goggle called the Treeline - they're intended for backcountry skiing, mountaineering, real bright conditions etc - but we've gotten emails from wildfire fighters asking for pro-deals on the Treelines to use for the hot dusty line work. *And that's when it clicked* ... I'd buy each of ya'll an entire keg of beer if I could, so no way should any firefighters be paying for our shades: you're saving our butts, the least I can do is give you gear to do that job better and more comfortably.

So long story short: we're giving out Treelines for Firefighters: www.sunski.com/fire

I'm trying to launch this campaign this week, but I need to do a shakedown to make sure the giveaway process works. I know there's some people in the fire service on this thread (ESS looking at you too), could any of you do the honors and grab the first pairs? and let me know if the process it works? (or not?) Should be totally free for the product and the shipping.

Name:  treeline-quad.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  165.8 KB

And obviously I can't mention pro-deals around here and not give one so..... JONGLOVE is good on store.sunski.com for 35% off anything, not just Treelines.

Cool thank you!

FKNA
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    And obviously I can't mention pro-deals around here and not give one so..... JONGLOVE is good on store.sunski.com for 35% off anything, not just Treelines.

Cool thank you!
    That's awesome!!!

And also awesome that you're now offering condoms!

(that is what a Jon Glove is right?)

Went to Santa Cruz for a music festival this weekend.
    Rode on uc campus.
    Unbelievable how busy, every parking lot and pullout on highway 9 was taken by 8;30.
    Trails were trashed, dusty, huge brake bumps.

Coming down pogonip to get to my car, probably 150 people riding up.

Glad I'm not living in Santa Cruz anymore

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk