Page 68 of 226 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 5635
    Word on the piste is that kw was a total cluster. Combo of no blackout + 10 closed cuz death ice entrance + backside closed until midday because ice and you had a lift line running up the hill.

I wouldn't know, but judging by the million twinkling windshields in the parking lot, It looked busy. From the last solar snow anywhere near a road, the little brother

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210117_211729902.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	358446

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Doc clears me to ski mellow starting Feb, so I’d expect it to start snowing around then and then get good in March when I can go fast.
    Lol wouldn't that be nice. Not that it won't happen; season could just be gettin goin.

I was totally expecting a huge early season since I was stuck on the bench, but unfortunately for y'all it didn't work out like that. Fingers crossed for a pattern shift!

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    From the last solar snow anywhere near a road, the little brother
    Yup, and the other side had some of the last winter before the mist
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Somebody was asking about Desolation. There’s not much snow.

Name:	IMG_2954.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	358475

Name:	IMG_2955.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	358476

Name:	IMG_2940.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	358477

Lovely weekend for camping though.

And damn, you all weren’t kidding about insane sno-parks. I’ve never see anything like Echo yesterday. Two stuck Tacomas at the summer trailhead. Five tow trucks down at the sno-park. Cars parked illegally all over the place. I had to do a 12-point turn to back out of my spot. CHP were handing out tickets like restaurant menus. Tons of overflowing parked cars down on 50. Quite the spectacle to return to after a few days of seeing mostly nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm in the French Pyrenees, bareges.

In chamonix, where i spent a fair x amount of time, there would be bumps on couloirs like this, so many people.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Is the Pic du Midi cable car 🚠 open?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    this doesn't belong here but it popped up in my youtube feed last night and now it fits right in. plus it's tgr content so it always fits. the kick turns tho
    yikes
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    yikes
    Yikes indeed. Especially the "crux move"--jump onto a thin patch of snow on rock with no idea if it would hold or slough off. Maybe he was on belay for the jump but I didn't see anywhere to put an anchor or any sign of a rope.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

***trigger warning mtb rant***/So I was riding lower Ash Canyon (which, from my understanding, is usually open even in a good snow year) when I came across a break in the trail with a guy hanging out on his bike at the break. Mind you, we’re in sage brush so we saw each other from a good hundred yards away. I’m coming downhill on the trail, and right as I’m coming up to the trail break the dude decides to hop back on his bike and start climbing uphill. Like Jesus man, really? If you waited two seconds later you wouldn’t have forced a game of chicken when we’re the only two out here.

And the people who ride the singletrack uphill when there is a perfectly good Forest service road paralleling the trail to make a much quicker and easier ascent, good god why?/ ***end mtb rant***

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I agree that maybe the guy should have waited another couple of seconds for you to pass in that situation. However, riding uphill on singletrack is great, especially on the mellow trails around Ash. Maybe you're used to bro-style shuttling or interminable fire road uphills, but the trails in that area are all bi-directional and XC style.

Uphill has the right of way 100% of the time. There should not have been a game of chicken--you should have yielded far enough away that he didn't have to wonder if you would.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Is it just me, or is Peavine becoming increasingly overrun by douchebags who don't have any clue on trail etiquette? Seems like the majority of riders on Peavine do not yield to the uphill rider -- the most common thing I see now is the descending rider just keep riding, off the trail. WTF is wrong with these people? Yield the trail does not mean "widen the singletrack so you don't have to stop for a second or two."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

There's a popular mixed use trail near my house (Johnson Canyon access to Donner Rim trail) that's a nice early season hike. The signs say bikes yield to hikers but I try to yield to descending bikes if I see them in time but I have to be quick because if I'm not they'll yield to me. Other hikers are much less courteous to hikers IME.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is it just me, or is Peavine becoming increasingly overrun by douchebags who don't have any clue on trail etiquette? Seems like the majority of riders on Peavine do not yield to the uphill rider -- the most common thing I see now is the descending rider just keep riding, off the trail. WTF is wrong with these people? Yield the trail does not mean "widen the singletrack so you don't have to stop for a second or two."
    It’s not just you man. Been living here for 4 years and it’s progressively gotten worse every year.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    ***trigger warning mtb rant***/So I was riding lower Ash Canyon (which, from my understanding, is usually open even in a good snow year) when I came across a break in the trail with a guy hanging out on his bike at the break. Mind you, we’re in sage brush so we saw each other from a good hundred yards away. I’m coming downhill on the trail, and right as I’m coming up to the trail break the dude decides to hop back on his bike and start climbing uphill. Like Jesus man, really? If you waited two seconds later you wouldn’t have forced a game of chicken when we’re the only two out here.

And the people who ride the singletrack uphill when there is a perfectly good Forest service road paralleling the trail to make a much quicker and easier ascent, good god why?/ ***end mtb rant***

The guy definitely should’ve had enough sense of mind to wait a few seconds to let you pass. That being said, climbing singletrack is great and those are bidirectional trails so it shouldn’t be surprising you met someone climbing the singletrack. Although if it’s the section I’m thinking I usually cruise up the fireroad for that bit.

Get off my lawn!!!

Name:	IMG_9903.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	358559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9994.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	358561

Sooooo ready for winter to re-engage

Anyone want to head to the Ruby’s for an mogul run?
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CKNAz...d=hb8baluoc62d

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I agree that maybe the guy should have waited another couple of seconds for you to pass in that situation. However, riding uphill on singletrack is great, especially on the mellow trails around Ash. Maybe you're used to bro-style shuttling or interminable fire road uphills, but the trails in that area are all bi-directional and XC style.

Uphill has the right of way 100% of the time. There should not have been a game of chicken--you should have yielded far enough away that he didn't have to wonder if you would.
    Yeah, that definitely is true. And I continued riding downhill at that since he was still hanging out, but then he decided to jump on the trail right as I was coming to the break. When I called it “chicken” that was exaggerating a bit (I did pull off the trail), but it was just frustrating that he could’ve waited a second longer and I would’ve been past him.

All in all it was a relatively quiet day there (sorta busy for a Monday but obviously the fed holiday), I really shouldn’t be complaining much

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    The guy definitely should’ve had enough sense of mind to wait a few seconds to let you pass. That being said, climbing singletrack is great and those are bidirectional trails so it shouldn’t be surprising you met someone climbing the singletrack. Although if it’s the section I’m thinking I usually cruise up the fireroad for that bit.
    Yeah, I guess the second part of my complaint was just that there was a train of 10 people or so that came up a little past that guy I saw. I obviously pulled off, stopped for them but it was surprising seeing as many people when it had been pretty quiet the rest of the time out there.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Yielding to uphill traffic is no longer a thing since the Covid surge of bikers. Pisses me off so many can afford to drop 6K per bike for the family but not one of them can bother to learn the rules of trail etiquette before going out to get some.

Is this the MYB thread? Go out and ride...

Been a shit all weekend down here as well.

that’s never been a thing
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

It's the same kind of thinking that has someone see you coming, wait, and then pull out of their driveway just as you get there, or a semi wait until you're almost even with them to pull into the left lane.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There's a popular mixed use trail near my house (Johnson Canyon access to Donner Rim trail) that's a nice early season hike. The signs say bikes yield to hikers but I try to yield to descending bikes if I see them in time but I have to be quick because if I'm not they'll yield to me. Other hikers are much less courteous to hikers IME.
    Thank you. The idea that whomever is going downhill should always yield is stupid. When it's obviously a fun pro-longed descent (like the Wendin Way trail you're referring to) and I'm climbing up, more often than not I will move to the side and not break up the DH rider's flow. Pay it forward.

Friend from Colorado just asked me how the skiing is in Tahoe and my response was, "well, in the local TGR thread we're currently arguing about trail etiquette." - oof. Fingers crossed for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Thank you. The idea that whomever is going downhill should always yield is stupid. When it's obviously a fun pro-longed descent (like the Wendin Way trail you're referring to) and I'm climbing up, more often than not I will move to the side and not break up the DH rider's flow. Pay it forward.
    I was always taught that in hiking uphill has ROW. While I try to be courteous to MTB's, I have to admit to being stubborn about trail runners coming downhill, because they never yield unless forced. Fuck their superior attitude. Fuck them for being in so much better shape than me.f

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    While I agree it can be situational and depending on the trail I might let the dh rider roll through, uphill right of way is definitely a thing. It’s much easier to get back in that flow dh than it is to keep your uphill momentum. If you’re on a bidirectional trail the dh rider should expect to yield for the uphill unless they wave them on.

I’d rather be talking skiing but I’m a sucker for trail ethics debates.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    While I agree it can be situational and depending on the trail I might let the dh rider roll through, uphill right of way is definitely a thing. It’s much easier to get back in that flow dh than it is to keep your uphill momentum. If you’re on a bidirectional trail the dh rider should expect to yield for the uphill unless they wave them on.

I’d rather be talking skiing but I’m a sucker for trail ethics debates.
    Of course I know it’s a thing, I just think it’s stupid as some generalized across the board rule. I blame IMBA. ;-)

Let’s not talk about the weather at this point until it’s 24-36 hours out.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.