Page 199 of 226 FirstFirst ... 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,975 of 5635
    I think there's enough money to go around if we're not spending it on smashing cruise missiles into Syrian sand or F35 boondoggles or a cool $2trill to invade the wrong country and accomplish nothing except get Dick Cheney some new oil contracts and private merc deals.

So much money spent on nationbuilding abroad while ours falls apart.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My understanding is that the every 2 years figure applied to grasslands and chaparral. The interval in the Sierra was quite a bit longer--the figure I recall was 10-15 years.
    That could be true. I was told this by a UCB fire ecologist in reference to burns in the upper Sierra foothills (eg, Georgetown).

Feinstein wants to through a lot of $$ at this: https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...5-55E5EF32A463

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    I think there's enough money to go around if we're not spending it on smashing cruise missiles into Syrian sand or F35 boondoggles or a cool $2trill to invade the wrong country and accomplish nothing except get Dick Cheney some new oil contracts and private merc deals.

Not too quibble too much because I substantively agree, but non of that is nation building per se. The actual state dept budget for what could reasonably be called nation building was almost as pathetic as our fire budget. A tiny sub fraction of what was spent militarily. But again, we spend way more than necessary on military quagmires. But the mega rich aren’t doing the rest of us any favors letting their money sit on the sidelines producing absolute nothing except interest

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Probably belongs in Polyass but agree

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I’m confused… so we all ski groomers now?
    That's the future, because when she closes the Forests during snowstorms you'll all be like, "Hey, thanks for taking care of my safety Mrs. Eberlien you're my hero".
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That's the future, because when she closes the Forests during snowstorms you'll all be like, "Hey, thanks for taking care of my safety Mrs. Eberlien you're my hero".
    what is your problem? is it with a regional forester? are you a firefighter? why are you entitled to national forest land?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    what is your problem? is it with a regional forester? are you a firefighter? why are you entitled to national forest land?
    I haven't read all this, but isn't National Forest for all to use and appreciate? I get closing areas during a big fire, but in winter for snow safety? What am I missing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Hes still bitter at kirkwood for killing his comp pass and is having flashbacks of getting his freebies revoked

She is the head of the Pacific Southwest Region Forest service and is responsible for closing all of California's National Forest lands (except for Humboldt Toiyabe, which despite facing all the same pressure has forests open in California because it is not under Mrs. Eberlien's jurisdiction).

Why are we entitled to public lands? Gee I dunno.
    Last edited by powdork; 09-07-2021 at 09:32 PM.

She is the head of the Pacific Southwest Region Forest service and is responsible for closing all of California's forest (except for Humboldt Toiyabe, which despite facing all the same pressure has forests open in California because it is not under Mrs. Eberlien's jurisdiction).

If public lands are closed there are always the pubic lands.

For those not following this thread closely--first of all, why not? Second of all--the only people talking about closing the national forest for avalanche risks is us. I could see it happening if there was so much snow that if someone triggered an avalanche it would run all the way to Reno, but that seems a little unlikely.
    Last edited by old goat; 09-07-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    What am I missing here?
    Hyperbole and people projecting fallacies due to the current forest closures related to public safety, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I haven't read all this, but isn't National Forest for all to use and appreciate? I get closing areas during a big fire, but in winter for snow safety? What am I missing here?
    National Forest purpose is primarily for timber and water. Recreation is down the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You smart kids ruining our best chance to start a rumor and have the forests to ourselves this winter. SMH
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

She is the head of the Pacific Southwest Region Forest service and is responsible for closing all of California's National Forest lands (except for Humboldt Toiyabe, which despite facing all the same pressure has forests open in California because it is not under Mrs. Eberlien's jurisdiction).

the majority of "the public" are morons

Just heard there was a structure fire at the Raley's at the Y but it was the staging area for ops so lots of resources on hand...
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    National Forest purpose is primarily for timber and water. Recreation is down the list.
    Maybe nationally, but not as much around these parts, and south (at least the timber). And as far as Inyo National Forest goes, they're not even allowed to think about the water in their forests.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Are you willing to sign a binding affidavit or something arresting that you won't call SAR after injuring yourself in the backcountry? What about when you get in a wreck on the road--should ambulances come and try to save you, or are you such a rugged individual who doesn't need anything from society that you'll jaws-of-life yourself out of your smashed rig and then do surgery on your broken femur on the side of the road?

Speaking of road--how do you think that thing got built?

Face it: we all need society and we all have responsibilities to it. One of those is occasionally making sacrifices in the interest of the group. Whether it's not going into fire prone forests for a couple of months or putting on a mask or getting a shot in the arm, we have to do stuff to protect others and society as a whole. That Americans have lost sight of this is one of our biggest failings as a country.
    None of that applies at all except perhaps the last part about society as a whole. There are large parts of the current closures that are doing nothing to protect society in any way. And they are becoming commonplace. And they are being ordained by the same entity responsible for mismanaging the forests in the first place.

None of that applies at all except perhaps the last part about society as a whole. There are large parts of the current closures that are doing nothing to protect society in any way. And they are becoming commonplace. And they are being ordained by the same entity responsible for mismanaging the forests in the first place.
    What’s your solution?

Also, isn’t there a ton of water development in inyo NF? Even in wilderness areas there?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    What’s your solution?

Also, isn’t there a ton of water development in inyo NF? Even in wilderness areas there?
    Yeah but it's mostly (all?) LADWP's water.

My solution is (if we have to have these closures going forward) to have a plan in place in advance so they don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    In areas where fires are ongoing obviously closures can take more precedence. In other areas keep hosted campgrounds open but dispersed camping closed. Treat every day during closure periods like a red flag day (no shooting, chainsaws, etc.). In lesser risk areas (values at risk, not risk of fire), no closures. This would be pretty much everything east of 395 south of Walker. There's no immediate need for a large response because fires can burn there with minimal losses. It could also include the high alpine. Closures within the LTBMU are not particularly effective either
    Lots of education on fire causes. How many people know not to park there car in tallish grass or brush, etc.?
    Huge fines for illegal fires. Couldn't we send out infrared mapping planes just a couple times a month to spot fires and then send out rangers to hand out huge fines? Let the internet spread the stories.

Yeah but it's mostly (all?) LADWP's water.

My solution is (if we have to have these closures going forward) to have a plan in place in advance so they don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    In areas where fires are ongoing obviously closures can take more precedence. In other areas keep hosted campgrounds open but dispersed camping closed. Treat every day during closure periods like a red flag day (no shooting, chainsaws, etc.). In lesser risk areas (values at risk, not risk of fire), no closures. This would be pretty much everything east of 395 south of Walker. There's no immediate need for a large response because fires can burn there with minimal losses. It could also include the high alpine. Closures within the LTBMU are not particularly effective either
    Lots of education on fire causes. How many people know not to park there car in tallish grass or brush, etc.?
    Huge fines for illegal fires. Couldn't we send out infrared mapping planes just a couple times a month to spot fires and then send out rangers to hand out huge fines? Let the internet spread the stories.
    So, I respect your opinion about keeping the federal lands open. I also think that the administrators do not take it lightly when they close a forest and it takes a lot of pressure to do so.

Right now the nation is at Planning Level 5 which means if you get a new start, there are very few resources beyond local IA that can respond. So the consequences of a new start on Federal land can be quite high. I think the administrators are looking at a situation where if they get new starts they cannot protect the downwind resources at risk. In CA they particularly just got a raft of shit about the Tamarack Fire which didn’t turn out so hot when they didn’t IA aggressively because they had other competing fire needs and saw some resource benefit to having a fire burn in the alpine.

There are fires in the nation right now that ostensibly are full suppression with less than 10 people on them.

I like your idea of a phased closure approach. You should continue advocating for it at your local ranger district, maybe get some user groups involved.

This ^^^

Things go a little differently with the Bridge fire or it starts somewhere near Arnold in difficult terrain and we are off to the races again, with toxic air for weeks, evacs, major highways closed, houses burned, ski areas threatened, and exhausted firefighters worn down even more.

Tahoe pin up girl for 2021? (RubyMtn hotshot, at Lassen. Not my pic)Name:  E-t1-sbUUAA9fjZ.jpeg
Views: 447
Size:  68.4 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

That’s a dirty girl

Anybody want some NS bike haul tix?
    I've got 13.
    Park closes 10/3.

First come/first served.
    Hit me with a PM
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Serious question; did the closures effect your property and or where you wanted to recreate?